Would you buy this car? - Page 2 - Porsche 718 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfahmi View Post
<snips>I asked if the dealer would throw in an oil change, but not gonna happen. Given that the offer is a 20% discount off MSRP for a new 718CS with 180 miles on it, I see where they're coming from.

I guess I could just pay for a full service (oil change, brake flush, etc) and rely on Porsche to replace the battery under warranty if it dies.

The only thing I wonder about is internal rust on the cylinder walls. This may well be due to the fact that while I am intimately familiar with air-cooled piston aircraft engines (which can develop cylinder wall rust after as little as 3 weeks of inactivity -- I've seen it myself), I am by no means very familiar with modern liquid-cooled car engines...
1. At a year old the car is due for its first service (basically an oil change and inspection) so I'd be getting that be done or you may have warranty problems later.

2. As far as I know the cylinder linings are Nikasil and don't rust.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
1. At a year old the car is due for its first service (basically an oil change and inspection) so I'd be getting that be done or you may have warranty problems later.
Good point. I guess I could use that free first service for this purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
2. As far as I know the cylinder linings are Nikasil and don't rust.
Sure wish they offered that for airplanes! It's amazing how fast steel cylinders can rust internally.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Good point. I guess I could use that free first service for this purpose.

Sure wish they offered that for airplanes! It's amazing how fast steel cylinders can rust internally.
Sounds like a real good deal! I personally wouldn't worry about it... The car is under warranty, and if it's certified, even better. Odds of it being 20% off and certified is slim, but I figured I'd ask. Either way, you're fine. Enjoy the killer deal on a near new car! We've sold several Porsche's recently, that are 17's with less than 200 miles on the odometer. No problems to note... I would recommend an oil change, and your battery is not likely to last long. Also, I could be wrong (someone please correct me if I am), but I don't believe a battery is covered under warranty, unless there's a failure. By failure, I don't mean letting the car sit too long. That sounds like a wear & tear item to me, but again, I could be wrong...

2018 718 Cayman 6mt, Graphite Blue Metallic, PDLS, Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package, Sport-Tex Seat Centers in Graphite Blue/Chalk, Carrera Sport Wheels, PASM, GT Sport Steering wheel, LCA. Mods - VR Tune Stage 2 ECU and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires in GT4 sizes.

Family Car: 2015 BMW 335i M-sport with adaptive suspension and complete Stage 2 with Full Bolt-ons.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
Sounds like a real good deal! I personally wouldn't worry about it... The car is under warranty, and if it's certified, even better. Odds of it being 20% off and certified is slim, but I figured I'd ask. Either way, you're fine. Enjoy the killer deal on a near new car! We've sold several Porsche's recently, that are 17's with less than 200 miles on the odometer. No problems to note... I would recommend an oil change, and your battery is not likely to last long. Also, I could be wrong (someone please correct me if I am), but I don't believe a battery is covered under warranty, unless there's a failure. By failure, I don't mean letting the car sit too long. That sounds like a wear & tear item to me, but again, I could be wrong...
Thank you for that advice, very helpful. Oil change and new battery, that makes good sense. Although, I'd hope that the warranty would cover the cost of battery replacement. I mean, how does Porsche know whether the car has sat in a lot somewhere, or has been stored inside a garage on a battery maintainer? But then again we're talking pennies here when compared to the cost of a car, so I should probably just STFU, quit worrying and buy the car
TEST DRyVer likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
A battery is considered a consumable and is generally not covered by warranty. My experience has shown that they often tend to fail outside of the warranty window anyway.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, I couldn't resist, so I just snagged the deal. 2018 Cayman S, Guards Red, Black standard interior with leather package (not full leather), Sport Chrono, PASM, heated & ventilated seats, auto climate control, dynamic headlights, sport exhaust, 20" Carrera S wheels in glossy black. Total of 180 miles. Discounted 20% off MSRP.

Oil and filter change will be done prior to delivery, and will count as the first (free) scheduled service. As for the brake fluid and battery, I'll figure that out shortly.

Of course the car is under the stop-sale order but I'm sure that'll be resolved quickly.

And you want to know the crazy thing? This is going to be my wife's daily driver. Yes, she's going to be taking it to work every day, to Safeway, etc. I will use it once or twice a week as a commute car. It will be parked in our garage next to our lovely Night Blue 718 Boxster, because apparently one Porsche was not enough.

Clearly, I have lost all grip on reality.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well, I couldn't resist, so I just snagged the deal. 2018 Cayman S, Guards Red, Black standard interior with leather package (not full leather), Sport Chrono, PASM, heated & ventilated seats, auto climate control, dynamic headlights, sport exhaust, 20" Carrera S wheels in glossy black. Total of 180 miles. Discounted 20% off MSRP.

Oil and filter change will be done prior to delivery, and will count as the first (free) scheduled service. As for the brake fluid and battery, I'll figure that out shortly.

Of course the car is under the stop-sale order but I'm sure that'll be resolved quickly.

And you want to know the crazy thing? This is going to be my wife's daily driver. Yes, she's going to be taking it to work every day, to Safeway, etc. I will use it once or twice a week as a commute car. It will be parked in our garage next to our lovely Night Blue 718 Boxster, because apparently one Porsche was not enough.

Clearly, I have lost all grip on reality. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/718forum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
...Congratulations. Nicely appointed and a great deal for essentially a brand new car! Also love the fact that the color is a "shouter"! Enjoy!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would buy a battery maintainer and use it. After I finish driving my car I routinely connect the maintainer, and I am confident this will extend the life of the battery.
TEST DRyVer likes this.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche2018 View Post
I would buy a battery maintainer and use it. After I finish driving my car I routinely connect the maintainer, and I am confident this will extend the life of the battery.
Yup, I do as well. The 718 Boxster always sits on a maintainer. In fact I'm just about to order another one.

Now I gotta schedule the ceramic coating...and PPF. It never ends, does it? Ah well. If I didn't care about this stuff I guess I'd just go get a Prius
Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Yup, I do as well. The 718 Boxster always sits on a maintainer. In fact I'm just about to order another one.

Now I gotta schedule the ceramic coating...and PPF. It never ends, does it? Ah well. If I didn't care about this stuff I guess I'd just go get a Prius
Great about the Battery maintainer.

Regarding it never ends, well that's part of the fun. For me and my wife cars have become a hobby that we both enjoy and that includes the car detailing. A week ago we both spent 5 hours detailing the GT2 and had allot of fun. Our cars always look better after we take possession and "detail" it up.

2018/991.2 GT Silver Metallic GT2-RS

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" ~ Vince Lombardi

"There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet" ~ Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in