First track day of the season - Lime Rock! - Porsche 718 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

First track day of the season - Lime Rock!

I did my first track day of the year last Monday at Lime Rock in CT. The weather was a day of extremes. When I got up at 5 there was a thunderstorm going on. After wondering for about half an hour whether or not I should actually go due to the weather I decided to go.

The drive up was very wet, and I even had to back-track at one point due to downed trees. But I managed to arrive at the track at 8. Then at 8:30 the clouds parted and we had blue sky at 65 degrees! So the first session, pictured below going into turn one, was great!

Then around 11 or so the torrential rain came back. This put a damper on the next two sessions, with only a handful of people going out - I was not one of them. Luckily, the rain stopped around 2 or so, and the track dried out, even though the clouds remained. So I got one more session on a drying track. So quite fun in the end!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lime Rock - Small.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	21050  
Nosmo, X2Board and 718S like this.

Current:
2017 718 Cayman S

Previous:
2008 987 Cayman S
2001 986 Boxster
post #2 of 13 Old 04-21-2019, 12:09 AM

I wish I was there to see ( and hear) another 718 on the track. I was signed up but had to cancel because of my schedule. I went last Nov and it rained 20-30% of the day. Wasnít thrilled with the prospect of driving with my windows down in the rain. Itís still a new car for me and would like to keep it that way at least for a little while.

Iíve got a few sessions scheduled for this year. Going to try out SCDA so I have more flexibility for days. I also finally signed up for a two day course at Birmingham after thinking about it off and on for a year.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semitone View Post
I wish I was there to see ( and hear) another 718 on the track. I was signed up but had to cancel because of my schedule. I went last Nov and it rained 20-30% of the day. Wasnít thrilled with the prospect of driving with my windows down in the rain. Itís still a new car for me and would like to keep it that way at least for a little while.

Iíve got a few sessions scheduled for this year. Going to try out SCDA so I have more flexibility for days. I also finally signed up for a two day course at Birmingham after thinking about it off and on for a year.

Hopefully we'll be at the same track day soon! My next one is in mid-May. The Cayman seems to be the most popular option at the moment. The 718s are starting to show up as well.

I had an instructor ride along for one of the sessions (it is good to get someone else's viewpoint on your driving every so often), and he said he was surprised at how fast the car was, especially in third gear, and he was driving a 991.2 GT3 RS! So points to the 718 S engine.
JazzCatGab likes this.

Current:
2017 718 Cayman S

Previous:
2008 987 Cayman S
2001 986 Boxster

post #4 of 13 Old 04-23-2019, 08:08 PM

if you have never done it before driving a 718 in the rain on the track is a great experience. you will be amazed at what it can accomplish. that bieng said after i did it once i was done - no more rain inside the car for me!

my first track weekend is not for 3 weeks but i have 8 events lined up for the season from ohio to alabama to florida to pa. can't wait to wear out my last set of stock rotors and switch to the new 2 piece i bought.

oh, and for you track rats out there, suncoast has the oil filter with the rubber gasket and crush ring for $24 each, or about $16 less than the local dealer charges. i ordered 5 of them last week. i change the oil and filter every 2 track weekends so it gets expensive!

He once taught a german shepherd how to bark in Spanish.
When he drives a car off the lot it's price increases.
He once won the Tour-de-France but was disqualified for using a unicycle.

I don't always drive a sports car, but when I do it's a Porsche. Stay fast my friends.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-25-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
my first track weekend is not for 3 weeks but i have 8 events lined up for the season from ohio to alabama to florida to pa. can't wait to wear out my last set of stock rotors and switch to the new 2 piece i bought.

Do you drive the car to all those places, or trailer it?

Current:
2017 718 Cayman S

Previous:
2008 987 Cayman S
2001 986 Boxster
post #6 of 13 Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 PM

i trailer it to them. well all buy daytona as a bunch of us get together and rent a semi to take all the cars down at once. there isn't enough room in the cayman for me and all the gear for the weekend (various tools, chair, grille for lunch, spare parts, suitcase, helmet, etc. etc.). plus the nitto nt01 are VERY loud on the street and the humming drives me crazy.
RussellHodgson likes this.

I don't always drive a sports car, but when I do it's a Porsche. Stay fast my friends.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 AM

outstanding! I was up at LRP this past monday with SCDA but because I'm still in my break in, I only did a car control clinic. It was interesting! On the wet skidpad I had a TOUGH time getting the car loose. I kept getting up to speed, lifting and then punching it to try to disrupt the back end, but despite starting at almost 40mph in puddles, the back end wouldn't come loose! The instructor was amazed at how much grip, even in the wet, the car hard. I then got it on the autocross course with all the traction control off and was able to get it pretty drifty around some tighter turns. AMAZING how stable it is and when it does come loose it does so in such a gentle and easy to control manner! So I leave tomorrow for 2 days up at Watkins Glen and my first time both there and with the Cayman on track. I'll be back at LRP a few more times this summer with SCDA and up at Palmer as well. Hope to see some other 718s!!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-27-2019, 11:10 AM

Question for the folks tracking a 718 - does anyone have experience with brake replacement and/or modification and where the best deals are on rotors+pads (parts only)? (Car is a GTS but don't believe thee 718s are different)

Just thinking (hopefully a long way) towards the future.

Cheers!
post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 03:25 PM

i swapped my pads to giro disc s&s pads on stock rotors and there was a nice improvement. i have their 2 piece rotors sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed when i burn through these stock rotors in the next few weeks. i've also got 2 more sets of their pads waiting on the shelf (i ordered a lot to save on shipping).

post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
i swapped my pads to giro disc s&s pads on stock rotors and there was a nice improvement. i have their 2 piece rotors sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed when i burn through these stock rotors in the next few weeks. i've also got 2 more sets of their pads waiting on the shelf (i ordered a lot to save on shipping).

Do you do the brake pad and/or rotor change yourself? If so how do you change the rear rotors? Does the electric handbrake make it difficult to do them without the appropriate software control?

Current:
2017 718 Cayman S

Previous:
2008 987 Cayman S
2001 986 Boxster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page