Porsche 718 Forum banner

Moving to Cayman from BMW M2

13K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  JakiChan 
#1 ·
As you might have read in another thread, i am hoping to take delivery of a new Cayman in 3 or 4 weeks.

I have had the M2 for less than 12 months having fallen in love with the stonking performance on the test drive.
However being an oldie i just cannot get used to the harsh ride. It isn't a car that you can relax in.

I was astonished when i drove the Cayman. Excellent performance combined with a comfortable and relaxing drive.
I only wish i had driven one earlier.

#2 ·
Interesting. We had a 2003 M3 with 19" optional forged wheels and it was a bone crusher in terms of ride. If the M2 is anything like that, I really understand. I continue to be amazed at how Porsche gets such outstanding handling without beating up the occupants.

#3 · (Edited)
having fallen in love with the stonking performance on the test drive.
I think you will love your Porsche even more. Congratulations.

Speaking of BMW and stonking performance, one of my favorite 718 reviews is Car & Driver on the 2015 F80 M3 DCT. How is that? For what it implies about the Porsche's performance through the words it uses to describe the same aspects of the BMW's. You'll see what I mean below, where I've excerpted C&D's sub-title and first paragraph, adding in (parens) their own test data from the 718 Boxster S PDK:

It's just silly quick.

...if the criteria are that the car be capable of captivating through not only its handling and racy visuals, but also brain-liquefying performance, then there’s no doubt that this DCT-equipped M3 is the pinnacle of the breed. The numbers are indeed astonishing. Sixty mph from a rest? Dispatched in 3.8 (3.6) seconds. Zero to 100 mph? Consider it done in 8.5 (8.5). The quarter-mile? Twelve flat (11.9) at a scorching 119 (118) mph. Stopping? It’s a master at that, too, decelerating from 70 mph in a tidy 153 (142) feet. The M3 also grips a skidpad like Shel Silverstein’s Yipiyuk, holding on for 0.99 (1.04) g. These numbers, it must be noted, are just one rung down from those of cars costing three to four times as much.

#6 ·
Wow! This is interesting information... I don't always change out my cars for "better" cars, but I change them out for a different feel, drive, and something new altogether. I have to say, the M2 has been calling my name. I see people trade in the M2 for base 718 Cayman's at my Porsche Dealership. I am drawn to the M2 for the easy access to performance modifications (especially if you opt for the N55 engine vs the S55 M3 engine in the Comp Pkg). The Comp Pkg has the M3 /M4 engine, which costs approximately 40% more $$$ to modify, hence why I would opt for the non-Comp Pkg car. I like the idea of a back seat, although small, I can at least take my almost 3 year old daughter with my wife and I when driving our sports car. As it stands now, we use our 335i M-sport that's properly modified as our family car. But I keep reading about the rough suspension of the M2 chassis. The 3 Series has an extremely comfortable chassis with the optional adaptive suspension. The verdict is still out, and I would still want a Porsche in the driveway, so if I did this, I might consider a Macan S for our family car. As of recent though, a few other cars have piqued my interest... I'll create a specific post about this...

Reactions: Viffermike
#11 · (Edited)
Wow! This is interesting information... I don't always change out my cars for "better" cars, but I change them out for a different feel, drive, and something new altogether. I have to say, the M2 has been calling my name. I see people trade in the M2 for base 718 Cayman's at my Porsche Dealership. I am drawn to the M2 for the easy access to performance modifications (especially if you opt for the N55 engine vs the S55 M3 engine in the Comp Pkg). The Comp Pkg has the M3 /M4 engine, which costs approximately 40% more $$$ to modify, hence why I would opt for the non-Comp Pkg car. I like the idea of a back seat, although small, I can at least take my almost 3 year old daughter with my wife and I when driving our sports car. As it stands now, we use our 335i M-sport that's properly modified as our family car. But I keep reading about the rough suspension of the M2 chassis. The 3 Series has an extremely comfortable chassis with the optional adaptive suspension. The verdict is still out, and I would still want a Porsche in the driveway, so if I did this, I might consider a Macan S for our family car. As of recent though, a few other cars have piqued my interest... I'll create a specific post about this...

I've been in BMW's since I sold my 914 in 2005.
I currently have a Z4M Coupe and an E92 M3 (both heavily modified for track) and I had the M2 on my list as well.

Firstly, I'm not sure if you are aware that the M2Comp is the only version available (new). the Non-comp is discontinued.
The other thing that blows me away about the difference between the 718 Cayman and M2Comp is the 600 pounds weight difference.
For someone that fights tooth and nail to get weight out of my track cars, that number blew my mind.

#7 ·
I own both a 2018 Cayman GTS and 2019 M2 Comp. Extremely different cars. The M2 is my daily driver. If I could only own one of them, it would be the M2 - zero question on that. If I want to go on a fun drive or to the track - Cayman every time. I like that the M2 flys under the radar, has a surprisingly big trunk, interior is very comfortable and the motor is amazing. Rear tires break loose on the M2 with little effort - not always the best thing. Interior may not be super plush, but very solid and the seats are extremely comfortable. I don’t find the ride too harsh. Once both cars have traction, I’m certain the M2 would pull on the Cayman, but off the line I can launch the Cayman so much more easily. Driving the Cayman has kind of an old school sports car feel - there’s no question you are in a sports car. The M2 is just a small performance coupe/sedan. I would never fault anyone for picking one over the other, they are so different that it really depends on what you want and what you need.

#8 ·
I think the single most important distinguishing characteristic between the 718 and the M2 is not:
- Engine layout
- Power-to-weight ratio
- Chassis balance
- Rear seats
- Cargo space
- Engine characteristics (from number of cylinders to power/torque)
- Fit and finish

It's suspension. The M2's is totally mechanical. The vast majority of 718s have adaptive suspension that's adjustable with at least three modes.

I came to the 718 from the 2 Series -- a 228i -- with BMW's 'Sport' suspension. It's not bad. But once I drove an M235i with the adaptive underpinnings, I was sold on what an adaptive system can do. That system in a 228i -- available only as part of a 'Track' package that I was somehow stupid enough not to include on my car -- completely transforms even THAT car.

#9 ·
I agree on the modern adaptive type suspension. Many sport type cars have the availability of some sort of adaptive suspension, if you want to pay for it. I have it on the 718, and I have it on the 335i. I kinda ruined it for the 335 though. I added an axle back exhaust to the 335. You might be thinking to yourself, what does an exhaust have to do with a conversation about suspension? The 335i M-sport can go into Eco, comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus at the touch of a button. The comfort suspension is only available on Eco or comfort mode. Since the exhaust install, I can't drive the car in Comfort mode :crying:
In Eco (which I never use) or comfort mode, the transmission will upshift to save fuel. That's fine and all, but in doing so, it drops the RPM's between 1,500-2,200. That stupid axle back exhaust I was dumb enough to buy (to complete a full stage 2 bolt-on), drones like crazy between 1500-2200. Since my exhaust install, I can only "comfortably" drive the car in Sport or Sport Plus. Even if I drive in Comfort mode with Full manual on the automatic 8spd ZF transmission, I have to keep the revs up. So, I simply don't drive the car in Comfort anymore :(
I have almost an hour drive to work, then an hour back everyday. If I choose to take the Beemer, I leave in it in automatic mode for freeway driving, but have to keep it in Sport in order for the car not to go into 8th gear. It's a real PITA! I have to reassess my exhaust choice...

Reactions: Viffermike
#10 ·
I was down to choosing between the M2 and the base 718 Cayman.

After an extensive test drive on the former and a brief (but exhilarating) one on the latter, the choice was clear! Even if I had to dish out a significant premium for the Cayman...

There’s just no comparison with the mid-engine layout, the interior quality, the Porsche legacy, the sound, the superior warranty terms, and the excitement behind the drive.

After 5 months of ownership, I’m still glad I made the right choice - looking forward to the experience every day!

#12 ·
I probably would've bought the M2 Competition of I didn't have to both wait for a slot and the build time. It put the delivery window too wide with the uncertainty. I'm a BMW guy. I own five of them (all mid. 80s). Had the Z4M Coupe for a number of years and I loved that car. I considered a Cayman when buying the Z4M. But the Z4 was the hooligan I was looking for. The M2 C seems to be a grin machine like the Z4M, with two seats so I can ferry my kids around too.

I don't regret the 718 one bit. It's by far the best car I've ever own. A little too perfect, but I love every minute of my time in it. If the M2 Comp had adaptive suspension, I might have to own both somehow... [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I have owned E36 and E46 M3s, have driven an E92 M3 on multiple occasions on the track and have an F36 (tuned 3.0d) as a daily driver... I had thought about an M2 CP earlier on this year but could not walk away from a Porsche and opted for a base 718 even if it is probably not as quick (see the comparison between the original M2 -not the CP- and the 718 in the screenshot from Fastestlaps.com below).

Bimmer fans may crucify me for this, but M-cars are (very well) beefed up mainstream cars vs. Porsche that builds sport cars starting from a blank page and you will always feel it. I get that some people like the grunt of an M-car and going sideways, but on the road or on the track, I enjoy the surgical precision of a 718 or 911. Not to mention the coherence of the whole package on a Porsche (i.e. brakes vs hp).

Whatever the options, both cars have too different personalities to be compared. If anything, I would consider an M2, M3 or M4 as a daily driver and go for a Porsche for the fun and the week end.

Just a very plain and (too) simple opinion ;)

#15 ·
I have driven the original M2 since shortly after it was released. It’s a fun car, with tons of usable power. I personally like it’s looks, it’s handsome in an ugly way. The ride is a bit stiff, but tolerable. The interior is quite cheap.

Hving said that, I find myself obsessively reading about the 718 GT4. I had considered the first version when I bought the M2, but the lack of rear seat flexibility killed it. Since then, I’ve found that I carried 2 passengers in my M2 maybe twice over the past two years. And while my boy does ride with me sometimes, it’s pretty rare, and I’d be fine with the car seat in a Cayman. We have other cars for people hauling.

I wonder how many people go from a Cayman to an M2?

#16 ·
I pondered the M2 Comp on the way to my CS. Here's what happened: "Oh, a fully loaded base Cayman is the same price as the loaded M2, maybe I should check that out". I did, love the CS so much that I ended up with a car WAY more expensive than the M2 Comp.

But, at it's price point, the M2 Comp felt cheap on the inside. The 2-series always feels a bit downmarket to me, even though I love the size. And it's hard to take something that fits such a range as the 2-series and make it perform as well as a purpose-built sports car. The M2 is a bit more live-able - more normal, if you will. It's a sedan. But I'm sure I got the right car.

Plus, I have to say, the local experience of visiting a BMW dealer is so lame. It's a lame as visiting a Kia dealer. Porsche always feel special.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.