What Did You Do To Your Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman Today? - Page 29 - Porsche 718 Forum
 206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 305 Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.B-Cayman View Post
Punched through a squall line on I-20 yesterday morning to get her some Goodyear F1 shoes at the dealership in Grapevine, TX. Looks like I chose the right route as the other way had a tornado about the same time. Few hail hits, but no damage.

These are a bit quieter than the OEM Yokohamas and grip well enough for me.

BTW, the 17 year old cat likes to take rides at times - if it is her idea
Good to hear no issues w/ the hail, your cat looks to be saying classic cat "meh" & the crest looks good w/ your wheels & body color, nicely done.
Viffermike and Dan.B-Cayman like this.

718 CGTS currently

Macan S previously

911SC a LONG time ago
post #282 of 305 Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.B-Cayman View Post
Punched through a squall line on I-20 yesterday morning to get her some Goodyear F1 shoes at the dealership in Grapevine, TX. Looks like I chose the right route as the other way had a tornado about the same time. Few hail hits, but no damage.

These are a bit quieter than the OEM Yokohamas and grip well enough for me.

BTW, the 17 year old cat likes to take rides at times - if it is her idea
You actually bought Goodyears as a replacement? That is not something you hear many decide on. I took of my Yoks for a set of Michelins and they are top notch.
post #283 of 305 Old 03-11-2019, 10:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfish View Post
You actually bought Goodyears as a replacement? That is not something you hear many decide on. I took of my Yoks for a set of Michelins and they are top notch.
Well, first choice of Michelin PS were not available for several weeks, slippery rears with wear bars flush with tread, and impatience played their parts in the decision.

Plus, Eagle F1 are quieter and the difference with Michelins is minimal for me.

Took these on some fast curves yesterday and they grip nicely.

Side note: NeTex let me have his second choice on the badges which is perfect for my setup. Thank you sir!

2018 Night Blue Metallic Cayman PDK

post #284 of 305 Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzCatGab View Post
Looks like three good days for a drive and the break-in miles are approaching 1,000, so I am trying to get out everyday for at least a little trip. .
@JazzCatGab : Are you going to rev your car all out once you reach 1,000 miles or are you going to do the full recommended 2,000 miles? I was shocked how hard our mutual local Porsche SA ran all the 718's on our initial test drives (to the point it was one reason I was happy my purchase was a new build). His driving and the cars performance got my attention. None of these were demo cars.
JazzCatGab likes this.
post #285 of 305 Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmota View Post
@JazzCatGab : I was shocked how hard our mutual local Porsche SA ran all the 718's on our initial test drives (to the point it was one reason None of these were demo cars.

Same here... he ran the snot out of it on the test drive which may lead one to question a purchase of a car on the lot for too long.
post #286 of 305 Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmota View Post
@JazzCatGab : Are you going to rev your car all out once you reach 1,000 miles or are you going to do the full recommended 2,000 miles? I was shocked how hard our mutual local Porsche SA ran all the 718's on our initial test drives (to the point it was one reason I was happy my purchase was a new build). His driving and the cars performance got my attention. None of these were demo cars.
I definitely agree with you on the many values of buying a personal and new build. I've now managed to exceed 1,000 miles and I'm planning to be as mild as I can for the rest of the 2,000 miles, however, that said, I'm revving more than 4,000 RPM on fairly rare occasions. In the past, I've been old-school about breaking in new cars and generally changed the oil within the first 1,000 miles and because they were not sports cars, I was gentle for the first 5,000. But from what I've been reading here, I'm not too worried about revving above 4,000 RPMs ever so often because I'm joining the school of the "breakin" is more for all the car's systems as much as it is the engine. I think as you've noted at the dealership, and what they apparently do at the Porsche Experience, is probably fine for the engine, although it gives me goosebumps to do it to my own car. I think the brakes and suspension (and motor mounts) all need some relatively gentle use at first, along with the engine; but what is "gentle" for a car designed to be driven to extremes? This is my first car designed to be "high performance" and I'm thinking that I'll have to put on adult diapers to exceed "gentle" for this kind of car. What are your thoughts?

JazzCatGab
Kentucky
2019 Base Cayman
-----------------------
Manual shift, 18" wheels, PASM, Sports Chrono, black tailpipes, cellphone compartment, CarPlay, PE&D
post #287 of 305 Old 03-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Garage
Today my clear wind deflector arrived, looks way better then OEM.
Will test drive tomorrow and hopefully it works better with less draft.

For the fun of it.....
post #288 of 305 Old 03-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Today my clear wind deflector arrived, looks way better then OEM.
Will test drive tomorrow and hopefully it works better with less draft.
You're getting soft in your old age mate!
post #289 of 305 Old 03-29-2019, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
You're getting soft in your old age mate!

WTF!?
Hey Grumpy i am a Rock Hard Viking, of sorts
I am just used to the feeling from the 986.
My first 718 BS i only drove top down a couple of times Before the Moose decide to attack me.

Verdict....
Yep it helps alot but it does not fit to 100%
See at the bottom.

Chilli likes this.

For the fun of it.....
post #290 of 305 Old 03-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
WTF!?
Hey Grumpy i am a Rock Hard Viking, of sorts
I am just used to the feeling from the 986.
My first 718 BS i only drove top down a couple of times Before the Moose decide to attack me.

Verdict....
Yep it helps alot but it does not fit to 100%
See at the bottom.

That's not exactly a great fit & a bit disappointing for you. Would something like a piece of edging strip as used to cover sharp edges on steel electrical trunking help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 19.45.23.png
Views:	10
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	20484  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page