Track wheel and tire setups - Porsche 718 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Track wheel and tire setups

For those of you running track events, what do you do for your wheels and tires?

I’m not going to buy a trailer and haul, I will drive to my track and back on the track tires. The Michelin cup tires on the GT4 and GT3 is a happy medium but I think I want pure track tires. Gathering what’s been successful for owners to make the best move. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:27 PM

I bought a set of 19Ē OZ wheels with RE-71R tires. I do about 8 track days per year, so nothing crazy for me. My goal is to keep the stock rims looking as nice as possible, which is tough when you are getting tires installed 3 times a year. I figure I can always easily sell the OZ wheels in the future.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deddie View Post
I bought a set of 19” OZ wheels with RE-71R tires. I do about 8 track days per year, so nothing crazy for me. My goal is to keep the stock rims looking as nice as possible, which is tough when you are getting tires installed 3 times a year. I figure I can always easily sell the OZ wheels in the future.
Which model of wheels did you get?

Old 04-09-2018, 06:37 AM

Garage
So far I have used my stock wheels and tires. Going to use up the stock tires before I get track ones. The stock wheels are surprisingly light. I have the 19” Boxster S wheels.

2017 Graphite Blue 718.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:40 AM

Garage
Also, Cup2 tires would likely be your best bet if you are going to drive it to the track. They are streetable, but not great in inclement weather.

2017 Graphite Blue 718.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM

I'm still trying to figure out if I should go with wider tires or not. Would get RE-71Rs either way.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
Which model of wheels did you get?
Leggra HLT. Gloss black, 19Ē
Viffermike likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 PM

if driving to the track is a must i prefer nitto nt01 or hankook rs-3. i am currently running the nt01 on a set of volk wheels i bought from a friend who sold his r track toy. i still trailer it as i can't fit everything i want into the cayman i have driven them on the street, and they are a little loud for my taste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg (2).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	11553  

He once taught a german shepherd how to bark in Spanish.
When he drives a car off the lot it's price increases.
He once won the Tour-de-France but was disqualified for using a unicycle.

I don't always drive a sports car, but when I do it's a Porsche. Stay fast my friends.

Last edited by nineball; 04-09-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
if driving to the track is a must i prefer nitto nt01 or hankook rs-3. i am currently running the nt01 on a set of volk wheels i bought from a friend who sold his r track toy. i still trailer it as i can't fit everything i want into the cayman i have driven them on the street, and they are a little loud for my taste.
seems like a lot of Porsche drivers prefer the nittos. I’ll proba give those a shot when I’m ready to swap. The stock advans aren’t terrible, but when I compare them to the grip of R compound tires... I want that traction!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Vendor

Garage
I'll just put this right here... Apex Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Contact us for package deals on suspension!

<-- Save 40lbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche 718 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in