Porsche 718 Forum banner

max rear tires for 718s

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  whitelies718 
#1 ·
hi i recently got a set of new wheels. i got a good deal on some volk te37 ultras.
the specs are

Front 19Ă—8.5 offset 52
Rear 19Ă—11 offset 53

im trying to get a set of tires for autox. i was leaning towards a set of re71r. the problem is that the sizes for the rear are on 285/35/19 or 305/30/19. i was wondering if the 285 will be to stretched of should i go with the 305? will the 305 have clearance issues? for the front i was looking into 255. will going for 265 have better balance for the 305?

thanks in advance

#4 ·
David's rims are 11.5" so you should in theory have around 13mm between the strut and rim based on an offset of ET53 (compared to his ET56). However your proposed tyres are the same width, so your tyre will stick out from the rim further than his. As the offset is 3mm different, the back of your tyre should be 3mm further away from the strut than his, but conversely 3mm closer to the wheel arch on the outside - assuming tyres of identical width.

#5 ·
David Lemmens is running 991 Carrera S IV wheels, which are 11.5" ET56, with 305 tyres and apparently has no issues: https://www.718forum.com/forum/new-member-introductions/17408-cayman-techart-spoiler-gt4-wing.html so 11" ET53 should work.
I think the 19" x 11" et 53 rear wheel is going to contact the lower track rod. You probably need a ~10mm spacer for it to work. Test fit these rear wheels (without tires) before you decide which rear tire size is going to fit.

sweet exactly the information i was looking for. is 3mm space for the rear strut enough?
David's rims are 11.5" so you should in theory have around 13mm between the strut and rim based on an offset of ET53 (compared to his ET56). However your proposed tyres are the same width, so your tyre will stick out from the rim further than his. As the offset is 3mm different, the back of your tyre should be 3mm further away from the strut than his, but conversely 3mm closer to the wheel arch on the outside - assuming tyres of identical width.
I think you'll find that the problem is the wheel, not the tire. A 20" wheel is big enough to fit over the lower track rod end but a 19" is not, thus the need for a spacer. With the spacer a 305 is probably gonna stick out too far, a 285 might work. Good luck! Let us know how you make out

#7 ·
Just did the test fit the rear strut is hitting. Pics attached. Wondering how 11.5 fit. If i add a spacer the wheel might stick out to much. It did clear the bottom rod.

Attachments

#10 ·
Just for reference, I run Front 255/35/19 on HRE FF01 19x8.5 ET50 and 285/35/19 on Rear 19x10 ET40 without any rubbing or clearance issues on my GTS.

Reactions: don
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.