Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just picked up a 718 6 speed base in October not one issue love the car. I was told at local dealer it’s a good idea to buy the $214.00 charge o mat pro battery charger and charge up battery when out for a long ride and told to turn ignition on then plug into cig lighter under arm then plug into wall then turn key back so car won’t go into sleep so last time I went for a 5 hour ride came back I plugged the charger in and the charger got hot and it showed it was almost full after a few min I checked the cig lighter to see if I pushed something in with the charge plug but nothing and started over. So I unplugged and left alone. Haven’t used car yet one week so far. I bin charging battery for about 2 months and never did anything except starting from empty to full and never got hot. warranty is coming to an end allso the last time I took the car out the coolant gauge was half way to normal running temp in the matter of a few min I never saw it act like that before I’m worried this charger is doing damage if that’s possible.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Maybe I'm misreading what you wrote, but you do not need to use a trickle charger if you are using the car regularly. The car will maintain the battery and putting the charger on it when it is all charged up already is not needed. I don't know if excessive use of the charger will screw with the car's electronics, so you probably should get it looked at. I only plug my charger in and connect to the car when it is likely to spend weeks without running.

Reactions: Naptown and 982CS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hay jazz cat thank you so much I think your 100% right I hope I didn’t screw up the car but the dealer told me great idea to do that but I think they wanted me to spend more money. When they told me it was $214 bucks for a battery charger I could of got a new battery for that great price LOL. I use the cig lighter plug under my arm to plug my raider in and it said 14.7 volts when car was running I saw that last week when I took car out. My garage is heated so maybe when I noticed the temp half way maybe normal. But thank you for writing me. I got a lot to learn this my first Porsche I try to find everything I can read about the car. I guess a work shop manual is going to be hard to find or you just have to spend $500 and up for the book.well I will stop hear sorry to ask so much thank you thank you

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok just picked up a 718 6 speed base in October not one issue love the car. I was told at local dealer it’s a good idea to buy the $214.00 charge o mat pro battery charger and charge up battery when out for a long ride and told to turn ignition on then plug into cig lighter under arm then plug into wall then turn key back so car won’t go into sleep so last time I went for a 5 hour ride came back I plugged the charger in and the charger got hot and it showed it was almost full after a few min I checked the cig lighter to see if I pushed something in with the charge plug but nothing and started over. So I unplugged and left alone. Haven’t used car yet one week so far. I bin charging battery for about 2 months and never did anything except starting from empty to full and never got hot. warranty is coming to an end allso the last time I took the car out the coolant gauge was half way to normal running temp in the matter of a few min I never saw it act like that before I’m worried this charger is doing damage if that’s possible.
I have used the CETK Time To Go-12 Volt Battery charger with great results. It’s the same battery charger Porsche uses for half the price. Its so easy to use just plug it in to 12 Volt Accessory Power Outlet you don’t have to turn the key or start on your Porsche or connect the cables to battery. Unbelievable easy to connect.
CT5 TIME TO GO gives you an accurate prediction of the remaining charging time in hours. Not only that, but it’ll also tell you when you can safely try to start your vehicle before the battery is fully charged. Best purchase I made on the battery charger. The 12 Volt power outlet is always live without starting your Porsche.
I paid for the CTEK (40-255) CT5 Time to Go-12 Volt Battery Charger and Maintainer with Accessories $92.35
CTEK (56-304) Comfort Connect Extension Cable, 8.2 Feet $12.03
CTEK (56-263) Comfort Connect Cig Plug for the 12 Volt power outlet $13.99 My total cost $118.37

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Wolfe thank you for all the info much appreciated I’m going to the dealer tomarow to have 2 new tires mounted and balanced so I’m going to bring my charger and see if they can look it over or switch it out but I will most likely end up buying what you use. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Busa - I have the CTEK charger (which is the same as the Porsche one). I haven't used it on the 718 yet but used to use it on the 987 Cayman. Occasionally it did get hotter than I thought it should, very warm to the touch, so I emailed CTEK (excellent customer service) and they said it was completely normal and not to be concerned.

I only use the trickle charger if the car is not going to be used for a length period of time. If you are doing long journeys in the car, i am not sure you would need to charge the car afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
A battery charger/maintainer is not needed if the car is driven regularly—the car charges the battery when in use.
I'm now 3.5 years in, drive often, and have never needed an 'extra' charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Busa - I have the CTEK charger (which is the same as the Porsche one). I haven't used it on the 718 yet but used to use it on the 987 Cayman. Occasionally it did get hotter than I thought it should, very warm to the touch, so I emailed CTEK (excellent customer service) and they said it was completely normal and not to be concerned.

I only use the trickle charger if the car is not going to be used for a length period of time. If you are doing long journeys in the car, i am not sure you would need to charge the car afterwards.
thank you for your help thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A battery charger/maintainer is not needed if the car is driven regularly—the car charges the battery when in use.
I'm now 3.5 years in, drive often, and have never needed an 'extra' charge.
T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts