Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my '78 Targa for over 30 years, I've finally broken down and purchased a Boxster GTS for the mid-engine experience. Struggled over all the "bad" press on the 4-banger turbo, but just can't afford a Spyder ;-) I'm sure I'll be happy with the performance if not the sound.

Going to keep the Targa as it's not worth much to sell--mechanically sound; cosmetically... not sound. Looking to get back on the track (Hallett MRC) after an absence.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
197 Posts
The 2.5T is bloody sublime, that’s coming from someone whose
Had 3 flat sixes previously ...

I’d wouldn’t give up the torque for a NA anything anymore (gt3rs well maybe!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
:eek: @scragin Welcome to the dark side!!!

I had a 914 2.0L in the late 70's to early 80's. Great looking and handling car with few issues (sure, more power would have been nice). Regardless, I endured the constant disparaging remarks from the unenlightened masses (e.g. not a real Porsche, only has 4 cyl, basically a matchbox VW, wanna be mid-engine, etc.).

So 35 years later, I wanted to get back to the track for HPDE and was certain a 911 was the only way to go. Then, a funny thing happened during our 991.1 (Carerra S Cab) test drive. It literally struck me as too heavy, too big, and somewhat sluggish. I'm not saying all those things are true, but that was my impression. Oddly, my lovely Bride (who had never owned, nor driven, a "real" sports car) unknowingly effectively verbalized my impression without any statement from me. It appeared to me (right or wrong) the 991.1 had become effectively a GT Car.

Several things transpired over the 9 months prior to purchasing our 718 BS. My wife purchased a 2017 SL 450. The SL is very sporty, but at best a quick and agile GT car, which she wasn't going to allow me to track anyway. I really wanted a 458 Spider, but couldn't "sell" that to my bride.

Thus began the search for the perfect HPDE solution with a price tag my Bride might be willing to swallow. I delved into what seemed like hundreds of so called "sports car" forums and started leaning Boxster (wanted top down enjoyment). Drove a 2015 981 GTS, which was impressive, but the low end grunt just didn't do it for me. In the end, all the information kept leading me back to a 718....one drive and I was hooked.

Still hear the occasional disparaging “not a 911/4-pot” comments or read it on their faces. I couldn't care less and just smile with the knowledge that, while on the track no 911's have ever caught, much less passed, my BS. On the flip side, I'm grinning ear to ear as our BS reels in and overtakes 911's...it's like going through popcorn at the Bijou. Sure, a bit of an overstatement, but you get the general idea (I'm no Mario, so I know the 911s are coming). The bottom line is the 718 is an amazing piece of machinery (and IMHO a beautiful work of art) so never let anyone usurp your enjoyment simply due to its FT4 configuration.

Congratulations on your new steed! May you enjoy unlimited miles of healthy smiles!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The only thing better than the Turbo-4 is the twin turbo-6... :eek: Consider yourselves warned... do not drive the damned thing, the power delivery it has is addictive...:cry::censored:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts