Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Not powder coated but black rims on a White Cayman.
I have black 19" on now with Winter tires, i can snap some pics if you will.

But i have to warn you, the car aint gonna be clean ;)

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Not powder coated but black rims on a White Cayman.
I have black 19" on now with Winter tires, i can snap some pics if you will.

But i have to warn you, the car aint gonna be clean ;)
Are you sure they are not powder coated?

Nearly all painted alloy passenger car wheels are powder coated in some way during manufacture, whether from an independent/aftermarket maker or OEM -- which, in Porsche's and many other manufacturers' cases, are made for the marque by an independent manufacturer. Regular 'paint' is simply not resilient enough for use on wheels, particularly ones with a warranty attached ...

'Painted' is used in place of 'powder coated' frequently in auto parlance to simplify the idea of coloring. It's not accurate.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Are you sure they are not powder coated?

Nearly all painted alloy passenger car wheels are powder coated in some way during manufacture, whether from an independent/aftermarket maker or OEM -- which, in Porsche's and many other manufacturers' cases, are made for the marque by an independent manufacturer. Regular 'paint' is simply not resilient enough for use on wheels, particularly ones with a warranty attached ...

'Painted' is used in place of 'powder coated' frequently in auto parlance to simplify the idea of coloring. It's not accurate.

You might be right!
Its not a subject that i know so much about, its Porsche 19" in Satin black.
On my 986 the rims have like 58 layers of clear coat but i am not sure if its paint or aluminium under.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
You might be right!
Its not a subject that i know so much about, its Porsche 19" in Satin black.
On my 986 the rims have like 58 layers of clear coat but i am not sure if its paint or aluminium under.
I guarantee it's powder coat; you'd know if it was raw aluminum underneath the clear coats -- which, by the way, is almost certainly powder coat, too. >:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Kilrcar wheels look great. Would you have a profile view? Thinking of doing same thing as I have same wheels.

Rippey

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have that wheel too, on my black Boxster S. Thought about blacking the wheel, as well considered buying the OZ Leggera rim in black (that looks more like the Carrera S wheel -- minimalist vane-like spokes).

I am leaning to the view that blacked-out wheels lose some of the nuance of their spoke design visually -- both in pictures and in person. So the more minimal (open) the rim-and-spokes, the less lost. Thus the Carrera S/Leggera rims work nicely in black, less so the Boxster S rim with that finely-nuanced asymmetry of 5 wishbones with the opposing inner edge of each arm flattened out where it joins the rim. But I still haven't seen a well-lit closeup...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had mine on carmine red boxster s painted satin platinum by the dealer as an afterthought post delivery, at two thirds the cost of factory option. Not sure if that's just paint or powder coated. Look great when clean but otherwise dull up quite quickly with brake dust. Thought they would be less likely to show up brake dust but actually they don't, imo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.