Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pricing everything out, the 718 GTS will cost 15% more (not insignificant) and loses in the majority of quantifiable performance metrics. I'm an options minimalist so not much can change on the cost front.

Let me know what big factors are missing. I am only looking at manual transmissions so unfortunately the PDK (yes I have driven it and understand what the fuss is about) is not on the table for me.

Pro's for GTS:
- Initial build quality scores
- lighter weight
- more refined/upscale interior
- Unlikely for styling to get dated as badly
- More rare (don't see them around as much as Corvette)

Pro's for the Corvette GS:
- more power
- better sounding
- shorter stopping distance
- higher lateral G's
- lower cost (lower insurance rates as well for whatever reason)
- larger aftermarket and cheaper repairs
- engine last longer (this one is clearly a guess but the NA V8's seem to last and last)

Thanks for any thoughts/debate!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think these are well matched vehicles from a performance perspective and you can't go wrong either way. I personally like the interior better on the Porsche. I feel like the Porsche has a great blend of luxury and performance.

Something to consider... If you took the 15% cost difference out of the equation, which vehicle would you pick?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
+1; I would purchase the vehicle that is more fun to drive and also determine how much each would depreciate after a couple of years of ownership. I lost a fair amount selling my 2018 718 CS with 7.3K miles on it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
this is just my view but is there any point to these kind of threads?

I just don't buy my cars (or watches) on anyone's views but my own

at this level surely you buy the one that makes you smile, lust, want to drive just for the sake of driving …..and only you can tell you which car that is

if you are trying to rationalise over what should be a largely emotional purchase is either car the one for you?

just my 2 cents worth.

tim.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think apart from the badge the 718 has more subtle looks than the corvette. The corvette looks much more aggressive and will have that nice V8 sound.

Unfortunately we don't get many of the american muscle cars over here and the ones we do end up being really expensive (similar or more than the porsche) so the decision here is easy to buy a 718.

Now the M2 Competition has just come out with $30k to $50k savings so in our market it is a big consideration. Although IMO the 718 GTS is still the nicer car if you have the coin.

Though while you're at it why wouldn't you also consider the Mustang GT PPL2 for outright performance.

I think maybe in the old days there was a reason to choose a Porsche over an American muscle car but now the Corvettes and Mustangs in terms of performance have really caught up.

It is like over here the majority of the country is fanatical about big V8 Fords and Holdens (GM) and traditionally they have been great value. Although personally I have always been into the German cars for performance but which also generally come with a little more prestige if thats what you are after.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same dilemma wanting to off my 2010 Boxster after 8 great years of enjoyment. I have owned a C2 and C3 Corvette and really was headed for a C7. I joined a Corvette forum for several months and read of many issues over and over, some stickies. I went out and drove both a coupe and a convertible, really wanting another convertible and saw that there was little room for luggage which was important to me. I also learned that I liked the automatic transmission but, unfortunately, a large sticky on the forum. I headed to the dealership I bought my used CPO 2010 in 2010 and they had a low mile CPO 2017 Boxster S in the color combo I wanted. We drove it, with PDK, and were sold. Though there is no question the C7 Corvette is a fantastic performer I suggest you join the Corvette Forum and hang out for a while before deciding. This from a guy convinced a C7 was the car.

·
Registered
504 Posts
this is just my view but is there any point to these kind of threads?

I just don't buy my cars (or watches) on anyone's views but my own

at this level surely you buy the one that makes you smile, lust, want to drive just for the sake of driving …..and only you can tell you which car that is

if you are trying to rationalise over what should be a largely emotional purchase is either car the one for you?

just my 2 cents worth.

tim.

My thoughts exactly. Although I understand why you might be asking the question (it is a nice forum with like minded souls) it tends to only help you if it reinforces your own view. First with the heart, then with the head!

·
Registered
186 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Although I understand why you might be asking the question (it is a nice forum with like minded souls) it tends to only help you if it reinforces your own view. First with the heart, then with the head!
Don't agree at all. There are frequently forum members that have owned both vehicles who can provide valuable insight. Test drives are very limited. (And remember, you can post the question on the Corvette forum to get balance on opinion.)

I am in the same boat as the OP. I am still saving for my Cayman/Boxster GTS, but I will test drive the Corvette Grand Sport first. It is too good looking and has extreme performance for the price to ignore.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think such lists/ledgers are by nature subjective, even when appearing objective by including (some selective) metrics. Bias is introduced in the form of what 'categories' are omitted/included, as well as how they are scored For example if I were making such a list, Marque (an intangible but nonetheless essential part of the ownership experience) would appear as a pro for Porsche and a con for GM. Engine Location as a pro for 718 and a con for Corvette. Specific Output (hp/liter), same result. Driver Involvement, same result. And so forth....but clearly that says more about me than it does about the cars. Same with the OP's ledger, I daresay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here is the best news.

There is no wrong or bad decision here. Both cars are great sports cars. I was very much in the same position. I grew up with a C4 vette and myself owned that vette for a long time. Had a dream for a long time of eventually buying my own Corvette - so I sent the one I had back to my dad (he was the one who originally bought it) in preparation for buying a Z06. You just need to go drive the cars and let the drives help make your decision.

In terms of straight line numbers the Stingray and GS compared to the 718s are pretty much the same using C&D numbers. Lateral grip is better in the GS so maybe faster on a track. yeah, the sound of the Chevy small block is pretty awesome, but at least the 718 doesn't sound bad in my opinion. Definitely different. And the Z06 is pretty much on a different level for performance.

Being who I am I started looking at other cars to make sure I got what I wanted. After a few test drives it was pretty obvious, I wanted a Cayman or Boxster more. Not because of any perceived quality difference per se. Sure there are some things about the interior I like better on the 718, but there are things from the interior of the C7 I like better. What it really came down to is the drive, I like the drive of the 718 better. After several test drives, including back to back drives as a Porsche dealer had a Stingray on the lot I pretty quickly determined I liked the 718 S more than the Stingray or base 911. I wasn't going to spend what it would take to consider an S 911. And I like the looks of the 718 better than the 911, espeically in convertible models. It also helps that my wife prefers the passenger comfort in the Porsche's better, she feels a little cramped in the corvettes.

you didn't say if you driven the cars. Drive them, take somewhat extended test drives. Porsche dealers in my experience are more than happy to do test drives. Chevy it might take finding the right dealer and even within a dealership the right sales guy. The dealer I did two drives of Z06s first told me they didn't so test drives of Corvettes as a policy, another time with another sales guy within 5 minutes of stepping into the dealership we were in a new Z06 and he even had me to launch control starts. And on a second test drive we signed the borrow car form and my wife and I took and brand new Z for a drive through some canyons.

Buy what the heart wants if the finances allow. Yes, the Boxster I want will run me more than a well spec'd Z and a lot more than a GS, but the drive experience is worth it for me and I was ready to spend Z money. I'll miss the looks of the C7 and the V8 sound. But the good news, the Boxster will be awesome and the Corvette dream doesn't die, just goes on hold since if finances allow down the road I can always buy a Vette. The ME looks to be intriguing but I'm not waiting around for it since there are a lot of unknowns and I figure for various reasons I wouldn't buy one for at least 2 years from now if not 3 or more.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think you should consider maintenance costs. Since I own both a 718 Cayman and a Stingray Callaway I know first hand. Since buying the Corvette which came with 5 free services I have spent $100 for the one service after the initial 5. Thats all. The Cayman cost me $200 for the dealers oil change I had at 1,000 miles and about $325. for the first annual. The collector car insurance on the Cayman cost about $1000 a year. I asked the agent why so much compared to my other collector cars and he said the under righter considers all Porsches to be exotics. Both put a smile on my face. Both are much fun to drive. I think my Corvette with the Z51 package handles better but I attribute that to its michelin tires. When the Cayman needs tires I will put michelins on it & make a comparison then. I have put 3,700 miles on the Corvette in 3.5 years compared to 5,000 on the Cayman in 15 months!!! I THINK THE LAST PARAGRAPH SUMS IT UP!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Between the GS MT, stay away from the auto tragic is you are going to track it, and 718 CGTS you can’t go wrong with either car. Drive them both and get the one that puts the bigger smile on your face.

Peter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are many, many great ideas and suggestions in this thread. While I understand the (few) comments about a thread like this bringing little value (thinking 'talking heads' or the like), the reality is that I am about to purchase one of these vehicles, it will be a big purchase for me, and I am genuinely interested in hearing other peoples experiences that could help guide/influence my way.

This note was unexpected (I cast a very wide net and have narrowed down over the past few months):

Though while you're at it why wouldn't you also consider the Mustang GT PPL2 for outright performance.
I have! (and it's hard not to go back to review it given what Ford has done there) but it scores far too low in the 'special feeling' category. Camaro SS 1LE: similar story. The GT350 'scores better' (obviously very subjective) in the special feeling category but I can't get my head past the weight difference. 700 lbs separates the CGTS and GT350.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you should consider maintenance costs.
………
I have put 3,700 miles on the Corvette in 3.5 years compared to 5,000 on the Cayman in 15 months!!! I THINK THE LAST PARAGRAPH SUMS IT UP!!!
It sounded like you were suggesting the Corvette but then flipped on me! haha

·
Registered
423 Posts
There are many, many great ideas and suggestions in this thread. While I understand the (few) comments about a thread like this bringing little value (thinking 'talking heads' or the like), the reality is that I am about to purchase one of these vehicles, it will be a big purchase for me, and I am genuinely interested in hearing other peoples experiences that could help guide/influence my way.

This note was unexpected (I cast a very wide net and have narrowed down over the past few months):

I have! (and it's hard not to go back to review it given what Ford has done there) but it scores far too low in the 'special feeling' category. Camaro SS 1LE: similar story. The GT350 'scores better' (obviously very subjective) in the special feeling category but I can't get my head past the weight difference. 700 lbs separates the CGTS and GT350.
I own both and while the GT350 is a very competent platform, the Cayman GTS is a much better, more well rounded car. It's actually even a tad quicker in a straight line than the GT350. GT350 diehards would take issue with that, but I'm not being biased. It just is what it is. The 718 corners smoother and in a much more controlled fashion. The only thing the Shelby has over the 718 is the growl out the back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your insights Wriggly. I envy your garage as it seems to be the perfect combo for different moods! :)

I've enjoyed a GT350 on a GP track, but only ever 'dealer test driven' a 718. (not fair experience comparison at all)

I owned a mini cooper S a few years back, and briefly drove a Lotus on track a few years back as well - those two cars were both a blast - and the closest I've experienced to the 718 'directness'. Probably a big part of why I appreciate what I felt in the 718 so much.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts