Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for your insights Wriggly. I envy your garage as it seems to be the perfect combo for different moods! :)

I've enjoyed a GT350 on a GP track, but only ever 'dealer test driven' a 718. (not fair experience comparison at all)

I owned a mini cooper S a few years back, and briefly drove a Lotus on track a few years back as well - those two cars were both a blast - and the closest I've experienced to the 718 'directness'. Probably a big part of why I appreciate what I felt in the 718 so much.
I test drove a 718 Cayman base, then an S before the GTS and finally settled on the GTS. I didn't really appreciate the overall characteristics or qualities of the Cayman till I spent a few weeks with the car on some of my favorite roads.

I don't track and never will. I can understand the excitement of the hobby, it's just not something I wish to pursue. The Shelby is being sold today and the GTS will probably go sometime between now and spring. We are going to try to relocate to Idaho in the next year. Once all is said and done, I will get another Cayman. Next one will not be black. The 718 is a wonderful car and ticks all the boxes for me. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Corvette is an amazing car. But, it was too large for my tastes. Honestly, it's also too loud. My Cayman is on the edge of too loud, but it is better that the screaming v8's, v10's and beyond. I love the light, tight responsive driving of the Cayman. If the made a mini 918 hybrid version of the 718, I'd love that car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My two cents - take a number of test drives and see what feels right, when we were ready for a new sports car we looked at the Corvette , Mercedes , Jaguar and Porsche . I explained to the dealers I was not sure of what I wanted and all were very willing to let me take some extended test drives . In the end we decided the Porsche just felt right.
Good luck !

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was literally JUST in the same boat looking at the same cars. I bought the GTS. I have never owned a vette. Could have saved a bunch on the purchase, but for me it all came down to looks and power. After watching reviews online (Porsche vs vette) it was clear that although the vette has more power, it is not usable power...it is more of a scary power. Sure it sounds better, but it is a muscle car. Lastly - after really seriously looking at them (Hendrick Porsche has a vette on the lot - silver with 3K miles), I just felt the vette was just to spaceship looking. Too rigid. Too sort of "we are trying to look like a Ferrari"...but it ends up looking like - well a very hard lined vette. No soft curves. The interior in my -just delivered today - GTS blows away any vette I sat in. not biased...just giving you my perspective as I just went through this.

Sound - yes - the sound of a vette is FUCHING awesome. Power for days. But will tell you. After driving my GTS today, I can assure you it has all the power I need. Handling on top of that. Again - watch the YouTube vids on the vettes. People love the power but say it isn't manageable.

my two pennies

·
Registered
89 Posts
Vette vs Cayman.

I am going to skip all the technical aspects. I have looked at new corvettes but never seriously, checked them out in the dealers showroom but it never really grabbed me. I see them around a lot. looks like two different designers worked on each end without knowing what the other was doing. front end is rounded kind of like a shoe and the back end is all angular. think Batmobile. I just don't like the styling. (I own a 914 so maybe I'm weird)

On the other hand, the Cayman is beautiful, I could look at it for hours, every line is perfect. when I walk away from it in the parking lot I don't just glance back, I stop and gaze at it. I park far away so I can look at it longer as I walk back to it. I wish I could watch it go down the road. (my GF said it looks really nice from behind. most peoples view.) Random people give me thumbs-up, kids wave.

When out driving I rarely see another Porsche around here, Corvettes, yes, everywhere, all years.

Years ago an early 70s big block Corvette was my dream car. Now there isn't any I would trade my Cayman for.

Buy the Porsche.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was literally JUST in the same boat looking at the same cars. I bought the GTS. I have never owned a vette. Could have saved a bunch on the purchase, but for me it all came down to looks and power. After watching reviews online (Porsche vs vette) it was clear that although the vette has more power, it is not usable power...it is more of a scary power. Sure it sounds better, but it is a muscle car. Lastly - after really seriously looking at them (Hendrick Porsche has a vette on the lot - silver with 3K miles), I just felt the vette was just to spaceship looking. Too rigid. Too sort of "we are trying to look like a Ferrari"...but it ends up looking like - well a very hard lined vette. No soft curves. The interior in my -just delivered today - GTS blows away any vette I sat in. not biased...just giving you my perspective as I just went through this.

Sound - yes - the sound of a vette is FUCHING awesome. Power for days. But will tell you. After driving my GTS today, I can assure you it has all the power I need. Handling on top of that. Again - watch the YouTube vids on the vettes. People love the power but say it isn't manageable.

my two pennies
Have you tried the launch control yet? >:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Both cars are so good, I would be happy to own either one.

If you like to work on your own car, the Corvette wins hands down. Factory shop manuals are available for $250. Parts are inexpensive, and plentiful. Corvette people are very hands on, and am amazed at the level of expertise on the Corvette Forum. One guy was tracking his car, went off the track, got airborne, and cracked the frame of his Corvette. There were people on their who told him what parts to get, what type of welding to use, what frame alignment equipment brand GM recommends. One guy offering help was even an author of a book on aluminum frame repair!

If you are a take it into the dealer person, Porsche offers a better service experience, as you might expect.

I recommend renting both cars from Turo for a day or two. There is only so much you can get from a test drive. Living the car for a couple days will make your decision easier.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Although I am not personally a fan, the Jaguar F Type could be an alternative?
I did test drive one while shopping. The lack of Car Play, the insane lack of rearward visibility, and the overall feel just were no where near the level fun and comfort of the 718. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just offering an opinion, like everyone else, for me I would consider the Cayman GTS, Shelby GT350, Corvette GC or Z06, M2 Comp Pkg, and Jaguar F-type R.
I work for Porsche, but I'm a car guy first, and all of the cars I mentioned above would tick most of the right boxes for me.

Shelby GT350- resale value seems to be holding up well for these cars, but engine reliability has been a legitimate concern on the forums. Great shift linkage, killer sound, high revving, decent handling, but large and heavy. I would personally own one of these, but it's in tough company with the others I mentioned.

Corvette GC or ZO6- excellent soundtrack, decent shift linkage at best, great handling, requires a lot more effort and skill to keep this car on the road compared to any of the mentioned cars above, with maybe the exception of the F-type. Resale value is great for an American car, but can't be compared to the Porsche when it comes to resale or reliability. Large car that doesn't have much room for storage or travel. Plus one big downfall; when you bring your car to the Chevy dealer for service, you're bringing in a car that's at the top of the food chain for the brand. Chevy new car sales average is in the low $20k range, and it's only that high because of all the expensive trucks they sell. End of the day, when you're taking your near six figure car to the dealership, you're getting the service treatment of a $20k car. That one would be almost a deal breaker for me. Only because you're spending too much to receive subpar treatment. I personally would love to borrow this car, but I wouldn't buy or lease it.

M2 Comp Pkg- I've driven the M2, but not the Comp Pkg, which seems to be getting well deserved attention. Looks great, will handle likely even better than the M2, doesn't sound very good, but the manual shift linkage feels great! Reliability and resale value are always a problem for BMW. They simply don't hold up in the pre-owned market, that being said, I believe the M2 Comp Pkg will likely have a stronger resale value than most, if not all M cars. I would absolutely lease this car or wait till it's 2 years used to buy.

Jaguar F-type- sounds ferocious! Drift monster, but controllable drifts even if you have light skills. Not for the faint of heart, this car will hurt you if you're not constantly paying attention. Feels heavy when you're pushing it hard. Nice interior, feels heavy, and I believe the supercharged V6 is the only one available in a manual. Horrible reliability and poor resale value. I don't care! It's really fun to drive! I would consider overlooking all the downfalls to have one. I would absolutely not buy this car, but I would lease this car.

Cayman GTS- It's the sophisticated all-around-er! With less horsepower, you will keep up with and possibly even beat most the cars on this list on a tight, curvy road. Plus, you'll do so with little effort. It's easier to drive than all the mentioned cars, but if skilled, it's exceptionally rewarding. It's light and it feels light. High resale value, especially in GTS guise, very reliable, and a proper luxury experience when bringing it to the shop. Plenty of space for a 2 seater. The sound is good, but every car on the list (with the exception of the poor sounding M2) will sound noticeably better. It's an easy daily driver, for a proper sports car, if you plan to drive it that way. I would absolutely buy or lease this car.

End result? There's no right or wrong answer, at least in my opinion. I'd be happy to have any one of these in my driveway! I choose the Porsche because it gives you the best balance: interior quality, build quality, superior drive feeling, good looking, high resale and reliability. And don't forget exclusivity... You don't see a lot of Shelby GT350's on the road, you definitely don't see a lot of Cayman GTS's on the road, and you don't see a lot of Jaguar F-types on the road.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just offering an opinion, like everyone else, for me I would consider the Cayman GTS, Shelby GT350, Corvette GC or Z06, M2 Comp Pkg, and Jaguar F-type R.
I work for Porsche, but I'm a car guy first, and all of the cars I mentioned above would tick most of the right boxes for me.

Shelby GT350- resale value seems to be holding up well for these cars, but engine reliability has been a legitimate concern on the forums. Great shift linkage, killer sound, high revving, decent handling, but large and heavy. I would personally own one of these, but it's in tough company with the others I mentioned.

Corvette GC or ZO6- excellent soundtrack, decent shift linkage at best, great handling, requires a lot more effort and skill to keep this car on the road compared to any of the mentioned cars above, with maybe the exception of the F-type. Resale value is great for an American car, but can't be compared to the Porsche when it comes to resale or reliability. Large car that doesn't have much room for storage or travel. Plus one big downfall; when you bring your car to the Chevy dealer for service, you're bringing in a car that's at the top of the food chain for the brand. Chevy new car sales average is in the low $20k range, and it's only that high because of all the expensive trucks they sell. End of the day, when you're taking your near six figure car to the dealership, you're getting the service treatment of a $20k car. That one would be almost a deal breaker for me. Only because you're spending too much to receive subpar treatment. I personally would love to borrow this car, but I wouldn't buy or lease it.

M2 Comp Pkg- I've driven the M2, but not the Comp Pkg, which seems to be getting well deserved attention. Looks great, will handle likely even better than the M2, doesn't sound very good, but the manual shift linkage feels great! Reliability and resale value are always a problem for BMW. They simply don't hold up in the pre-owned market, that being said, I believe the M2 Comp Pkg will likely have a stronger resale value than most, if not all M cars. I would absolutely lease this car or wait till it's 2 years used to buy.

Jaguar F-type- sounds ferocious! Drift monster, but controllable drifts even if you have light skills. Not for the faint of heart, this car will hurt you if you're not constantly paying attention. Feels heavy when you're pushing it hard. Nice interior, feels heavy, and I believe the supercharged V6 is the only one available in a manual. Horrible reliability and poor resale value. I don't care! It's really fun to drive! I would consider overlooking all the downfalls to have one. I would absolutely not buy this car, but I would lease this car.

Cayman GTS- It's the sophisticated all-around-er! With less horsepower, you will keep up with and possibly even beat most the cars on this list on a tight, curvy road. Plus, you'll do so with little effort. It's easier to drive than all the mentioned cars, but if skilled, it's exceptionally rewarding. It's light and it feels light. High resale value, especially in GTS guise, very reliable, and a proper luxury experience when bringing it to the shop. Plenty of space for a 2 seater. The sound is good, but every car on the list (with the exception of the poor sounding M2) will sound noticeably better. It's an easy daily driver, for a proper sports car, if you plan to drive it that way. I would absolutely buy or lease this car.

End result? There's no right or wrong answer, at least in my opinion. I'd be happy to have any one of these in my driveway! I choose the Porsche because it gives you the best balance: interior quality, build quality, superior drive feeling, good looking, high resale and reliability. And don't forget exclusivity... You don't see a lot of Shelby GT350's on the road, you definitely don't see a lot of Cayman GTS's on the road, and you don't see a lot of Jaguar F-types on the road.
I owned my GT350 for a year and a half. Just sold it a few days ago. Neat car, but there are some caveats. They use a lot of oil, many panel fitment issues, paint flaws, incompetent dealers, the handling can be downright dangerous on public roads. The front tires are too wide for the front structure and as a result the cars tramline pretty badly over road irregularities.
The GTS is faster in a straight line, not by much, but it is. The cornering abilities of the Cayman is fabulous, the GT350, while a good competent cornering car is nervous and jittery compared to the Cayman. My GT350 pulled me into the oncoming lane once from a rut in an otherwise perfect road. It scared the crap out of me, and I remember saying out loud at the time, "What the **** was that about". Thankfully there was no traffic.

The resale on the GT350 has pretty much run its course and has been and continues to decline. On the other hand, the GT350R's still enjoy good resale. If your a real track rat, the Shelby is a fabulous car. For street duty, not so much. I got to spend the last seven and a half months going back and forth between the two cars, and for me the Cayman GTS is the hands down winner.

I personally know two GT350 owners with blown engines. They are both middle age guys that don't track, and both were unmodded cars. One of them was a bad oil burner from day one, 400 miles per quart. The engine reliability issue is real.

Road America saw two GT350 catastrophic engine failures in one day this summer. I believe one was an "R". These things were in the back of my mind all along during my ownership, and factored into my decision to let it go. I'm glad I sold it while the resale was still decent.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I still consider myself a Ford person , since I own one and my previous 3 cars were Fords. The quality control and service departments are not the best. You need to do your research to find a dealer with a good service dept. I had a similar tramline or confused AWD system experience in my old Focus RS. First time it happened was a little disconcerting. Thought I was gonna hit the car in another lane to my left. The new gen Mustangs seems to have some reported issues with engine tick or shift forks breaking. My RS had the wrong head gasket installed at the factory.

On the topic of this thread.....maybe the OP could find a nice pre owned GTS , thereby minimizing the price difference. Not sure if any pre owned ones exist but a thought. I like the exterior styling of the Cayman which I believe will age nicely. The interior is also a plus. I have never been to a Chevy service department, but taking the cream of the crop Chevy in for service would have me concerned about joyrides by service techs. Probably just me being paranoid.

Part of what attracted me to Porsche, besides making great drivers cars, was hopefully a better experience while taking my car in for service

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Just now slogging my way through this thread enough to realize I have one bit of info to share that no one has: The Cayman is considerably roomier than the 'vette for taller folks.

I'm 6' 4" and, these days, about 245 or so. I've never been able to fit in a 'vette properly, with the exception of a 1983 Stingray I drove once. About a year and a half ago I visited the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. (MUST visit for any gearhead!!!). With great hope, I sat in a 2017 Grand Sport with a T top and all seat controls active. With the seat at its lowest setting and with reasonably proper ergos, my forehead was even with the leading edge of the windshield. No go.

A few weeks later I sat in a 2016 Stingray at a CarMax. Same deal.

Go back to the early 2000s. A female friend's boyfriend had a first-gen Boxster. She let me drive it a little while he was on a business trip. The leading edge of the windshield was right in my natural light of sight. Didn't fit.

So you can imagine that I was rather trepidatious when I to a dealer to sit in a 718 (and a 911, and a 981). I sat in one. It fit like a glove -- as my current car does. No exaggeration. I've spent 12-plus hours behind the wheel on road trips with no ill effects of any sort. If I tried that in a 'vette, I'd be in traction.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just now slogging my way through this thread enough to realize I have one bit of info to share that no one has: The Cayman is considerably roomier than the 'vette for taller folks.

I'm 6' 4" and, these days, about 245 or so. I've never been able to fit in a 'vette properly, with the exception of a 1983 Stingray I drove once. About a year and a half ago I visited the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. (MUST visit for any gearhead!!!). With great hope, I sat in a 2017 Grand Sport with a T top and all seat controls active. With the seat at its lowest setting and with reasonably proper ergos, my forehead was even with the leading edge of the windshield. No go.

Go back to the early 2000s. A female friend's boyfriend had a first-gen Boxster. She let me drive it a little while he was on a business trip. The leading edge of the windshield was right in my natural light of sight. Didn't fit.

So you can imagine that I was rather trepidatious when I to a dealer to sit in a 718 (and a 911, and a 981). I sat in one. It fit like a glove -- as my current car does. No exaggeration. I've spent 12-plus hours behind the wheel on road trips with no ill effects of any sort. If I tried that in a 'vette, I'd be in traction.

Viva the short, fat and old guys! Being 5'9" has its advantages.

I think one of the few cars I sat in and felt cramped was a Lotus Esprit. I never sat in an Elise, so I can't comment.

The Alfa 4C is another tiny sports car that might be a competitor to the Cayman.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Me too. 6'5" and 220ish these days. Only vette I ever fit in was my buddies 2004....convertible with the top down.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was excited when the 4C came out. No way, not even slathered in Vaseline. :)
If I were drinking I would have spit all over the screen. Lmao!! It also had me think of another low viscosity substance (gel) that is sold in stores. And it begins with Kentucky. Lmao

Being as plump as I am (5'9" 220 lbs), I'm wondering how well I'd in the 4C? Not that I'd ever seriously think of getting the Alfa. No matter how gorgeous it is.

·
Registered
359 Posts
a really good point about being comfortable for us taller types - I am 6'3" and feel right at home in the CGTS - albeit with the seat all the way back and all the way down

Alfa 4C ? come on - miniature cramped and reliability???

·
Registered
388 Posts

Same here Viffer, I'm 6'4 and about 210lbs these days. I was probably close to 225 when I picked up the 718. The Vette is a tight and uncomfortable fit for someone my size. Plus, there's the the tub with a good size lip that you have to cross over before seated. It's not comfortable to get in and out of. It's the only car on the list I wrote above that I probably wouldn't buy. If it weren't for my size, it would probably be a fun car.
I run into this guy at the gym, I've been seeing him there for years, we're not friends, but we'll chat or at the very least nod to each other. He looks to be at least my height, a bit heavier than me, but he's in good shape. He has a noticeable back problem. He always walks arched, and you can visually tell there's something wrong with his back. But when I see him pull out of the gym, he's always driving a Vette. He's on his 3rd one, just from the time I've known him. I don't know how he does it, but he must love it, or he wouldn't keep buying the same car over and over again...

21 - 40 of 70 Posts