Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Agreed will be a blast to drive. And the V8 sound - hard to resist! Interior of vette turns me off; that’s my biggest complaint.

As for its not a porsche comment, how many people on the Chevy forums would say “it’s not a Chevy” when comparing to other brands of sports cars?
If a 'Chevy person' is talking to a 'Ford person' then they say it at-nauseum. :D

.Your point is well taken. It is something to be proud of and enjoyed - whatever that means to you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The upcoming new C8 will certainly make things interesting. Mid-engined with 450+ hp that may have similar driving dynamics to the Cayman GTS for somewhere between the base and S model in price. It could be a few hundred pounds (125 kg) heavier though. That could make the Cayman more flickable.

The question will remain if the new Corvette will improve its build quality and interior to get closer to Porsche's?

Will this put pressure on the Cayman/Boxster lineup?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd consider buying a C8 after they have a year to get the bigger bugs out. Would keep the Cayman too. I get the feeling that the aftermarket for Corvettes will always be bigger than for Porsches. Could be fun, and I'd feel slightly less guilty if I dinged it.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
The upcoming new C8 will certainly make things interesting. Mid-engined with 450+ hp that may have similar driving dynamics to the Cayman GTS for somewhere between the base and S model in price. It could be a few hundred pounds (125 kg) heavier though. That could make the Cayman more flickable.

The question will remain if the new Corvette will improve its build quality and interior to get closer to Porsche's?

Will this put pressure on the Cayman/Boxster lineup?
It almost certainly will because part of the reason Chevy is (finally) moving the 'vette to a mid-engine layout is to enable hybridization ...

... and the C8 will have to be significantly heavier because of the larger engines, cost control, etc. ...

... and I've heard that the C8 base price will approach six figures -- though there's some recent conjecture about it being lower that I'll only believe when I see it, especially since GM spent nine figures to renovate the Bowling Green plant (which was closed for more than a year) partially to produce the C8. That the current C7 will be sold alongside it for at least a year doesn't make sense if the C8 is somewhat competitively priced with a C7.

We'll all know for sure next month.

I'd go after a C8 in 2023 in a heartbeat if I can fit my 6-4, 245-lb self comfortably and properly in one. I don't fit in a C7 at all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It almost certainly will because part of the reason Chevy is (finally) moving the 'vette to a mid-engine layout is to enable hybridization ...

... and the C8 will have to be significantly heavier because of the larger engines, cost control, etc. ...

... and I've heard that the C8 base price will approach six figures -- though there's some recent conjecture about it being lower that I'll only believe when I see it, especially since GM spent nine figures to renovate the Bowling Green plant (which was closed for more than a year) partially to produce the C8. That the current C7 will be sold alongside it for at least a year doesn't make sense if the C8 is somewhat competitively priced with a C7.

We'll all know for sure next month.

I'd go after a C8 in 2023 in a heartbeat if I can fit my 6-4, 245-lb self comfortably and properly in one. I don't fit in a C7 at all.
IMHO, a 6 figure base price will push the Corvette out of its market as a bargain super car. At $60k-$70k the Corvette is a great American alternative to the likes of Porsche to those that want an American nameplate. At a starting price of $100k, it then ceases to be a blue collar hero among car enthusiasts.

Yes the Z06 and ZR1 push the current C7 to $100k and beyond, but the Stingray is not only the volume leader, but it maintains the Corvette as the American sports car bargain.

The Camaro is not capable of filling those shoes. It's a different demographic.

All said, from what I've read the C8 Corvette should have a sub $70k Stingray. Let us hope this is so as I don't think a starting price of $100k is sustainable for the marquee. YMMV

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm confident the new C8 will start under 70, maybe just slightly but it will. It has to, GM can't sell enough 100K sports cars to pay for it and the plant expansion. But I also think the prices will climb quickly as I somewhat am thinking GM might go to a more al a cart option menu. The retooled plant has a slower line speed which is not adjustable than the previous one. So they have more time to build the car at each station.

The plant was expanded, but it was mostly for a much needed new paint shop and there was very little if any downtime involved in it. Only the public tours were/are closed for a long time. I think while certainly a portion of the tour closure was construction related I think it ran long to make it easier to do development work and builds on the C8 and keep it a bit hidden.

I'm very much interested in the C8 (have always like Corvettes) with it moving to mid-engine as it's the driving experience of the Cayman/Boxster that led me to purchase a Boxster over a Z06. But I fear the Vette will remain a bit larger and heavier than the 718 and those are two of the reasons I like the 718. The supposed interior shots of the C8 also turn me off, the big panel in between the seats seems like it may further contribute to the Vette feeling very confined inside.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm confident the new C8 will start under 70, maybe just slightly but it will. It has to, GM can't sell enough 100K sports cars to pay for it and the plant expansion. But I also think the prices will climb quickly as I somewhat am thinking GM might go to a more al a cart option menu. The retooled plant has a slower line speed which is not adjustable than the previous one. So they have more time to build the car at each station.

The plant was expanded, but it was mostly for a much needed new paint shop and there was very little if any downtime involved in it. Only the public tours were/are closed for a long time. I think while certainly a portion of the tour closure was construction related I think it ran long to make it easier to do development work and builds on the C8 and keep it a bit hidden.

I'm very much interested in the C8 (have always like Corvettes) with it moving to mid-engine as it's the driving experience of the Cayman/Boxster that led me to purchase a Boxster over a Z06. But I fear the Vette will remain a bit larger and heavier than the 718 and those are two of the reasons I like the 718. The supposed interior shots of the C8 also turn me off, the big panel in between the seats seems like it may further contribute to the Vette feeling very confined inside.

Having owned two C4 Corvettes before and have driven C3, C5 and C6 'Vettes through the years (I haven't driven the C7), my biggest gripe has always been the poor build quality. I read many years ago in one of the big car rags that the Corvette felt like all the pieces of the sports car felt like they were flying in close formation of each other rather than being built from one piece (if that makes any sense) like an ingot. I totally agree. The cars always felt loose when compared to other better (well) built cars.

I don't know what a C7 feels like, but, I've been told it still isn't up to the same precision as something like a Porsche in terms of build. This is what I hope for the C8 Corvette. The last American made mid-engined car was the Pontiac Fiero. What a piece of garbage that was. Please GM make the beloved C8 Corvette solidly constructed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Having owned two C4 Corvettes before and have driven C3, C5 and C6 'Vettes through the years (I haven't driven the C7), my biggest gripe has always been the poor build quality...Please GM make the beloved C8 Corvette solidly constructed.
Indeed. I've owned 'Vettes before defecting to the European marques.

My workaday appliance is a GMC Sierra. Runs fine and does its intended tasks with aplomb.
Screwed together in Fort Wayne its UAW build quality is marginal.

Sierra pays for my German toys but dang there's no comparison with respect to their 'quality' feel, torsional rigidity and whatnot.

Get it right this time, GM!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Having owned two C4 Corvettes before and have driven C3, C5 and C6 'Vettes through the years (I haven't driven the C7), my biggest gripe has always been the poor build quality.

Yeah, the C4 I grew up with had lots of cheap plastic and rattles, but it was immensely better than the 944s I drove. Talk about a POS, they sucked. I can't compare to 911s of the time though. I think the C7s aren't bad in the quality at all, I don't know if I would say they are much if at all lesser than a base 718 or 911 in quality. It more comes down mostly to personal preference on what you like. I do happen to mostly prefer the Porsche layouts, materials seemed more of a wash until you start upping the options on the Porsches. Hopefully the C8 shows more improvement. Solid competition is good in the space and Porsches options game is **** near highway robbery. Yet I still bought a highly optioned BGTS.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah, the C4 I grew up with had lots of cheap plastic and rattles, but it was immensely better than the 944s I drove. Talk about a POS, they sucked. I can't compare to 911s of the time though. I think the C7s aren't bad in the quality at all, I don't know if I would say they are much if at all lesser than a base 718 or 911 in quality. It more comes down mostly to personal preference on what you like. I do happen to mostly prefer the Porsche layouts, materials seemed more of a wash until you start upping the options on the Porsches. Hopefully the C8 shows more improvement. Solid competition is good in the space and Porsches options game is **** near highway robbery. Yet I still bought a highly optioned BGTS.

Try optioning out the ultra-luxury nameplates. Holy moly Batman! If you want to buy a Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, Bentley, or the like, having $100k in options is common. I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Buying luxury goods comes with a penalty of sorts. Of course I don't like it, but, you pay to play.

The one thing about Porsche is you can either keep checking boxes or have restraint (yeah right). It's up to you. Porsche is one of the marquee makers that has a high percentage of factory orders compared to someone like a Mercedes. Fortunately Porsche sort of encourages it's owners to make their cars their own. That's probably worth a premium for a semi-bespoke sports car.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts