Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for the Caymans first AutoX this weekend. I have a friend that owns a 4 wheel drive shop and has a nice alignment rig he let me use after hours, so I wanted to share.

Started off measuring a baseline, -0.9 degrees camber up front, -1.9/-1.7 rear. The front camber adjustment was already pretty close to max but I loosened the nuts and pushed the struts all the way over and torqued them back down. Took 3 hex turns to get the toe back straight and ended up with -1.4 degrees of camber. Was hoping I could get a little more, but this is max for now. I think offset camber plates will be my first mod, to both gain camber and ditch the rubber top mount. Thought about taking some camber out of the rear to possibly get it closer to neutral balance, but decided to leave it alone.

Cant wait to push it on the course this weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think the camber computer image is just slightly exaggeratted!

Have fun at the auto X!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Pretty aggressive setup. Curious about your feedback on handling. Here the Porsche recommended limits and my street alignment setup just for comparison.

Attachments

·
Vendor
308 Posts
Pretty aggressive setup. Curious about your feedback on handling. Here the Porsche recommended limits and my street alignment setup just for comparison.
-1.4 isn't particularly aggressive, I run -2 to -3 on the track. Porsche suggests less camber for tire wear and good manners on poor road surfaces. You definitely want to run the least amount of camber that works.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For street use it is absolutly no problem to use -1.00 camber at the front.
But you will feel that the front end gets much better in the corners.
The back should have -1,5 camber, not less, when increasing the camber in the front.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the computer exaggerates the tire lean so you can get a quick glance of what direction its pointing. The Porsche recommended settings are that way so the car understeers for safety/emergency/novice drivers on the roads.... not interested in any of that. -1.4 is not very aggressive at all and i suspect the car still understeers at the limits, which would be the reason for taking some camber out of the back, better balance. Ideally ill do something to get above -2.5 on the fronts soon, so that should better match the rears.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this filth is allowed, my previous car, an 07 STi. I ran >-3.5 deg camber up front, and -2 deg in the rear, zero toe, not too aggressive. I would do 10+ autoX a year and daily drive the car (12k miles a year). For track days i had a 2nd set of wheels and tires but everything else was done on 200 tread-wear autox tires, and i normal just bought a new set every year. Mostly from the daily driver miles, but there would be a significant amount of wear on the inside fronts, sometimes a little cord showing by the end of the season. I also rotated the tires front to rear every event on the Subaru, so that helped. The Cayman isnt my daily, so the street miles will be a bit limited, although its hard not to drive every day, in normal mode it rides so much better than my subaru, and the stereo and lack of rattles is so much better than my truck daily driver, its gets way better mileage too.

Attachments

·
Vendor
308 Posts
My Ohlins equipped GR:

Just a stg 2 for engine mods but really trick suspension, brakes and cooling mods. Really fun track car! I was doing 30 events a season in it :) Now it's the Caymans turn... >:D

If this filth is allowed, my previous car, an 07 STi. I ran >-3.5 deg camber up front, and -2 deg in the rear, zero toe, not too aggressive. I would do 10+ autoX a year and daily drive the car (12k miles a year). For track days i had a 2nd set of wheels and tires but everything else was done on 200 tread-wear autox tires, and i normal just bought a new set every year. Mostly from the daily driver miles, but there would be a significant amount of wear on the inside fronts, sometimes a little cord showing by the end of the season. I also rotated the tires front to rear every event on the Subaru, so that helped. The Cayman isnt my daily, so the street miles will be a bit limited, although its hard not to drive every day, in normal mode it rides so much better than my subaru, and the stereo and lack of rattles is so much better than my truck daily driver, its gets way better mileage too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts