Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing my oil 3 weeks ago at 3,400 miles, I decided to send an oil sample to the lab for an analysis.

Here are the results...

"Comments: Metals read a little high in this sample compared to averages, but that's normal for a new engine. The metals come from wear-in and you should see lots of improvement going forward, as this stuff starts to wash out. Eventually, this engine should start to look something like averages, which are based on about 3,400 miles on the oil. There was a trace of fuel in the oil, but no other contamination was found. The viscosity was fine. Should be a great engine once the wear-in stuff washes out. So far, so good from what we see here!"

Attached are the numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my 2018 CS report after 2360 miles. The sample date was the 10th of October.
The oil in my car was 12 months old, although, I only owned my car for 11 months when I began getting change notification.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
The oil in my car was 12 months old, although, I only owned my car for 11 months when I began getting change notification.
I have had my car for 4 months and put over 4100 miles on it. Will probably wait until the 10K mark to change the oil again. Hopefully, people will post their oil analysis since Blackstone does not have average values for the 718 engine yet....as they stated in my report....."Porsche decided to put a new engine in the 2018 Cayman S, so our average file for them is still under construction.”

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had my car for 4 months and put over 4100 miles on it. Will probably wait until the 10K mark to change the oil again. Hopefully, people will post their oil analysis since Blackstone does not have average values for the 718 engine yet....as they stated in my report....."Porsche decided to put a new engine in the 2018 Cayman S, so our average file for them is still under construction.”
Yeah, hopefully others have submitted samples for analysis and are willing to post their results.

When I took the sample of my oil, I noticed that the oil color was not consistent. The oil had swirls of lighter color. So, I made it a point to really stir the oil and using a turkey baster, attempt to extract a sample from the mix.

Now that I have experience changing the oil, I can easily and inexpensively, complete off schedule changes and submit and closely monitor the lab findings. I can see doing 2-3 more sample submissions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts