Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I placed my order on 8/23/17 for my graphite blue Cayman. I kept it pretty basic; 6MT, agate grey interior, 18" Cayman wheels, Power Sports Seats, Premium Package Plus, and extended range fuel tank. I live in the San Fernando Valley and work in Westwood, and I will be daily driving it. My typical route takes me on the 101 and 405 freeways, but when I get the car I will likely be taking Topanga Canyon to the PCH, to the 10. Way out of my way, but... canyons!

According to my SA, I should be getting the car in the first two weeks of December. I honestly don't know how I will survive until then.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm nearing the end of my 3 month wait. Everyone warned me it would be tough, and indeed it has been so far! @GregW hit the nail on the head with his list.

The nice thing about the wait is that with each passing day, you hear more and more positive experiences and reviews about the 718, and this only helps in building the hype and excitement in anticipation for the day it arrives.

Hang in there! You can consider yours a slightly early Christmas gift :) I think I'll do the same even though its still September

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read!--
Forums. On-line reviews. The on-line manual.
Watch!--
Reviews. Tests. Comparisons.

And of course--suffer.>:D
I have read so many forums and reviews that my eyes are bleary. I have watched so many reviews on my tablet that I have permanently damaged the battery. I have spent so much time on the Porsche website playing with the configurator that I am afraid they are going to get a restraining order on me. I guess that all that is left for me is to continue to suffer. I will do that. But not silently.:crying:

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
I have read so many forums and reviews that my eyes are bleary. I have watched so many reviews on my tablet that I have permanently damaged the battery. I have spent so much time on the Porsche website playing with the configurator that I am afraid they are going to get a restraining order on me. I guess that all that is left for me is to continue to suffer. I will do that. But not silently.:crying:
Silently is not required.;)

BTW--you do realise that there are 20 pages of warning messages that must be memorised before the car will let you turn the key????:eek:

Greg

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hello, all. I placed my order on 8/23/17 for my graphite blue Cayman.......According to my SA, I should be getting the car in the first two weeks of December. I honestly don't know how I will survive until then.

I'm in a similar boat. Ordered mine a little earlier in August and expect it around Dec. 1. Mine's a white, base Cayman with PDK. We'll fly to Atlanta and do the Porsche Experience......then drive it back to New Jersey. I actually called the scheduler at the Experience Center the other day and so far things are on schedule. We'd like to buy airline tix as soon as we have a firm date.

I suppose we have to consider the old saying; "Good things come to those who wait". ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know how you feel just waiting in anticipation to be able to sit in it, smell it, admire it, then drive the heck out of it.

I purchased mine the day before I went on vacation to Hawaii, and man, this was the first vacation i wanted to end quickly. I was you tubing by the pool, went to the Porsche Design Store, watched more you tube videos.

That was the longest vacation ever, but worth every agonizing day.

You will no doubt love your Cayman and especially the graphite blue color. you will get a lot of looks as the Cayman is a very good looking vehicle.

Good luck on the waiting period, before you know it, you will be enjoying it.

Hello, all. I placed my order on 8/23/17 for my graphite blue Cayman. I kept it pretty basic; 6MT, agate grey interior, 18" Cayman wheels, Power Sports Seats, Premium Package Plus, and extended range fuel tank. I live in the San Fernando Valley and work in Westwood, and I will be daily driving it. My typical route takes me on the 101 and 405 freeways, but when I get the car I will likely be taking Topanga Canyon to the PCH, to the 10. Way out of my way, but... canyons!

According to my SA, I should be getting the car in the first two weeks of December. I honestly don't know how I will survive until then.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is no dishonor in deciding a prerequisite option is a car now.....

6MTs are hard to find but you've got a lot of dealers around LA to scan inventories daily and the rest of your options list is pretty basic. I was prepared to drive down there from NorCal for the right car.

If nothing else the search can provide entertainment for next couple months.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have been just fine leasing a car from dealer inventory, if I could have found one that I liked. Before deciding to order my car I looked at dealers as far south as San Diego, as far north as Santa Barbara and as far east as Riverside for any 6MT Caymans. I found a grand total of 5. One was an S, which I didn't want, and two were very highly optioned, and I had no interest in paying for $7,000 to $10,000 in options and dealer add-ons that I didn't want. Of the two remaining, the lease numbers that those dealers were quoting over the phone were almost $300.00 a month more than the quote I was getting from the dealer that I wound up ordering from, and a dealer trade couldn't be worked out. It was at that point that I decided to order exactly what I wanted and wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey I’m also in a similar position. I am in the uk and ordered a boxter 718 (not S) in August and traded in my BMW Z4 so have been managing without a car since then. The collection date was pushed back from October to next month, so have been spending time looking at the Manual and lots of youtube videos. Plan to report back on this forum my views of my first ever porsche when it finally arrives !

Grey , PDK , rear camera, cruise control, electric seats, heated and cooled seats, porsche entry, speed limit display, CarPlay etc.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car was on the Jasper Arrow out of Emden, and it docked in San Diego earlier today. My SA said that it will take about a week for him to get the car, which would be over the Thanksgiving weekend. Does anybody know anyone at the Port of San Diego that I can bribe?>:D I don't know how I will survive the next 7 to 10 days.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh the anticipation of the waiting game....the closer it gets that more excited and harder it is to wait.

You have waited this long and once you get your car in your hands, you will be all smiles.

patience my friend....LOL easy for me to say.

My car was on the Jasper Arrow out of Emden, and it docked in San Diego earlier today. My SA said that it will take about a week for him to get the car, which would be over the Thanksgiving weekend. Does anybody know anyone at the Port of San Diego that I can bribe?>:D I don't know how I will survive the next 7 to 10 days.

·
Registered
476 Posts
consider yourselves lucky. i ordered my (first) 718 CS in august of last year. it arrived early january 2017 and was delivered to my house (salt and snow). the driver was unloading it and caught the passenger side mirror on the trailer. ripped the mirror off, damaged the door and fender. right back on the truck it went. ordered the car i have now later that week and it arrived in early april, so technically i went 9 months from order to delivery :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the driver was unloading it and caught the passenger side mirror on the trailer. ripped the mirror off, damaged the door and fender. right back on the truck it went.
Fabulous, you just gave me my new anxiety dream;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up my car on 11/24. After giving myself a few hundred miles to really get acquainted with the car, and to break it in a bit, I finally had a chance to play with it last night on an uninhabited canyon road near where I live. Since it is a public street I didn't drive fast, but I did drive quick, and since there are lots of twists and turns on the road I really got to try out the handling. I can't believe how flat the Cayman corners, how tactile the steering is, and how razor-sharp the controls are. And I am running the stock 18" wheels without PASM or any other enhancement. I have driven that road hundreds of times in other cars, but this experience was transcendent. In other cars I easily approached the limits of adhesion; last night I didn't even get a squeal from the tires. I couldn't be happier with my decision to get this car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts