Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Interested in your feedback on the 20" and amount of in cabin road noise and whether you drive primarily on bitumen or concrete. Has anyone changed the tire brand, what did you change it to and did it help? Has anyone got the 20" Michelin PS4 and did you find this helped at all?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pirelli P-Zero is a good tyre but road noise is bad.

If you need tyres with N-classification, buy the Goodyear AS2, else the Michelin PS4S is a very good tyre and also quieter than the Pirelli. But the Michelin is on the sporty side. That means, rain and cold weather is not his strength. So for daily driving also in bad weather condions, the Googyear is the way to go. More comfortable and quiter as the Pirelli, but slower on track or on twisty mountain roads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pirelli P-Zero is a good tyre but road noise is bad.

If you need tyres with N-classification, buy the Goodyear AS2, else the Michelin PS4S is a very good tyre and also quieter than the Pirelli. But the Michelin is on the sporty side. That means, rain and cold weather is not his strength. So for daily driving also in bad weather condions, the Googyear is the way to go. More comfortable and quiter as the Pirelli, but slower on track or on twisty mountain roads.
Thank you for advice :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I saw this thread and decided to chime in and bump it with a question. I wonder if anyone has ever done a test with the 718 with 18", 19" and 20" wheels to check for road noise levels and if wheel size makes as much difference as tire brand does? I know tire brand makes a big difference and it is one of the reasons while Michelin tires are well regarded because you get a (generally) quiet tire with great performance.

One of the things I really want to look out for when I start test driving 718 Cayman's soon is the difference in sound between the different size wheels on different roads. Although I really love small, great handling sports cars I am willing to do some experimentation to get the least amount of road noise possible when it comes time to order and to choose the wheel size.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi All,
Interested in your feedback on the 20" and amount of in cabin road noise and whether you drive primarily on bitumen or concrete. Has anyone changed the tire brand, what did you change it to and did it help? Has anyone got the 20" Michelin PS4 and did you find this helped at all?
I think these cars will always be noisy on 20" wheels - tire roar can be quite bad on bad surfaces, I have the Pirellis, will change out for Michelin when they wear out

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Just a note on something I've observed on my 718 Cayman: The sound deadening in and around the wheel wells is practically nonexistent. Even a little gravel being thrown up into the wells makes an absolutely cacophonous racket compared to every other car I've owned -- and that's to be expected considering the type of car we have.

A byproduct of that, of course, will be that tire noise will be worse on our cars compared to many others. Keep that in mind when considering performance rubber such as Pirellis, which are panned almost universally for high road noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
According to the Porsche tyre documentation the difference between Pirelli and Michelin is very minimal--about 1 or 2 dB. You'd be hard pressed to hear that.

What makes the most differences are the sound deadening and the road surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts