Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't stop them from getting stone chips. Have had the car for a year and the rims have already been repainted, but still get tons of dings and chips. I don't drive it on rough roads either. If I do decide to take it for a jaunt through the hills or some back roads, even clean ones, I notice that the leading blade of the Carrera S rims are all dinged up. Anyone else having this issue? I'm considering powder coating...

·
Registered
104 Posts
In the german Porsche forum is a very long thread about that for the 981 model. Almost all owers of the 20" Carrera S wheels complained about stone chips.
Mine are also full of small chips.
I have also the 19" they dont have that issue.

Powder coating should be better than painting.

Do you have wheel spacers? That make it even worse.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure Ceramic Pro would help when it comes to stone chips. It's more for scratch resistance, micro abrasion, and small debris. Not really for impact protection from stones, which is there the problem lie.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am just agreeing with the above posters that the 20" Carrera S wheels while beautiful do indeed seem to be susceptible to stone chips.

I have had the car for 4 weeks (2400km driven). I am still cleaning the wheels weekly... so I have had a chance to look at tiny stone chip damage accumulating.

Basically all the wheels are starting to gain more and more areas like the picture attached. The wheels still look really good. But extrapolating from the amount of small chips that have accumulated in just 1 month, I can imagine I will be bothered enough to powdercoat the wheels in about 2 years.

Also this is in the context of having my wheels fully ceramic coated day 1 after delivery.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’ll,check my car tomorrow as I have black satin rugars on mine

Rippey

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine are black satin. Only 2500 miles, no added protection, no problems so far on close inspection and most of the miles have been spirited driving FWIW.
Mmm... that is good to know that the satin finish is holding up well for you. I was probably going to powdercoat to satin platinum (agate grey Boxster) when my wheels get too cosmetically damaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.