Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put spacers on a 718 with 20" wheels?

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
379 Posts
H&R 7mm front 15mm rear
Does that give no poke on the front and a little poke on the rear? I've read some like 7 and 7 so the rear doesn't poke too much (or at all)

Had em on my M4 and totally changed the look, and it does on yours too (awesome look) - think I'm sold

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman
31 Posts
I put 10MM all around on my stock non PASM 718 and it looked great. When I lowered mine, those no longer looked good so I switched to 7MM and 15MM, those are about perfect.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My questions is will spacers made for a 981 fit the 718? Seems to be more choices for the 981 and the specs (bolt pattern, bore etc.) seem to be the same

·
Registered
379 Posts
In addition to the 981 / 982 compatibility question, have any of you guys with spacers noticed a handling change (positive or negative)?

·
Registered
379 Posts
OK, so to answer my own question (and hopefully save others some hassle). I contacted RennSport and asked if the spacers for a 981 fit a 982. He said they did, so I bought 7mm Front and 10mm Rear. What I have now learned:

It seems most 718s do have the same hub configuration (3 "fingers" on the hub centric portion) as a 981 (I assume they are the same, but I have no first hand experience here)

BUT...

It seems the GTS 4.0 / GT4 / Spyder have a different hub configuration (5 "fingers" on the hub centric portion), and I am not sure if that is shared with a specific 911 model or unique to these 3 cars.

So, before ordering spacers, check your hub configuration, and note that typical spacers won't fit these cars

What I believe is the typical 718 hub design
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Crankset

GTS4.0 / GT4 style
Wheel Locking hubs Automotive tire Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman
31 Posts
I have buddies with both a 991.2 and the new 992 Carrera and I can tell you the 991.2 has the same 3 finger hub as my base 718. However the 992 has the 5 finger hub that is shown above for the GTS4.0 / GT4.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep, confirmed this with 4wheelspacers.com today (992 / 718 4.0 are same hubs). Think I will go with either 5f / 8r or 8f / 10r

·
Registered
379 Posts
Still mulling over what negative impacts the spacers may have on scrub radius. Does anyone know what the 718 (non GT) car's scrub radius is?

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder GT Ag
1,312 Posts
Still mulling over what negative impacts the spacers may have on scrub radius. Does anyone know what the 718 (non GT) car's scrub radius is?
I tried to find that and wasn't able to. Sounds like a very good thing to figure out!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yea, I have been looking but no luck yet. I may try to figure out a way to measure it myself. This article explains it from a tire dealer perspective (and is a good read).

I suspect we have a negative scrub radius, and if it is only a few millimeters, then going 5-7mm more could be a negative impact on overall feel at "more extreme attack vectors". It is obvious some folks here run 7mm up front and seem to like them, but I love the way the car handles now, and even high speed threshold braking on rough-ish roads she stays straight and predictable...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts