Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have 20" wheels without PASM? Are you happy with the ride comfort? Ordered without PASM and wondering whether this is going to be an issue. Roads in Houston are relatively good, no pot holes but are concrete which increases road noise which PASM is not going to help with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have 20" wheels without PASM and have no complaints. The roads in PA are terrible and the base suspension seems to eat up the rough roads. I was worried about this when I ordered the 20" wheels but the ride is very smooth and comfortable. As others will attest--Porsche does amazing things with its suspension. I have not read any posts that complain about the basic suspension with or without 20" wheels.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have 20" wheels without PASM and it is not harsh at all. Ride comfort is exceptional.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed, no issues and they look awesome!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I've always wanted 20" wheels, love the look and had to go with them on my first Porsche

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree with all above. We have 20" wheels with Goodyears without PASM. Ride is great and 718S handles extremely well. Have not driven one with PASM to compare the difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone have side by side pictures of 718S on 20" wheels with and without PASM? I'm trying to gauge the difference in the ride height and wheel to fender gap.

·
892 Posts
I find 19" with PASM on the harsh side, Im glad I did not go for the 20". The 20" do look good though!
I can't say I find 20" wheels harsh with PASM & our roads are best described as in need of serious attention. A little over firm in "Sport" perhaps, but fine if left in "Normal" & I'd go as far as to describe it as very comfortable. I assume PASM has been improved over the years, as the ride on "Sport" setting in my 718 is far better than in the two cars that preceded it. Based on past experience then without PASM I'd probably be looking at slightly smaller wheels. However I haven't driven a 718 on standard suspension locally & it may be that the ride with that standard suspension has similarly improved.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Based upon all the reading I have done, I chose 19" wheels without PASM which purportedly would afford a more comfortable ride. With the S model I could not choose the 18" wheels but even though the 18" wheels are supposed to improve the ride comfort more I didn't and I don't think they look all that esthetic on the 718. For me at least the best compromise was the 19" without PASM for both the look and the ride I wanted. Everyone has options that are important to them and I used the money I saved on 19" wheels/PASM for things that I value more.

·
892 Posts
Based upon all the reading I have done, I chose 19" wheels without PASM which purportedly would afford a more comfortable ride. With the S model I could not choose the 18" wheels but even though the 18" wheels are supposed to improve the ride comfort more I didn't and I don't think they look all that esthetic on the 718. For me at least the best compromise was the 19" without PASM for both the look and the ride I wanted. Everyone has options that are important to them and I used the money I saved on 19" wheels/PASM for things that I value more.
If I chose a 19" wheel then no doubt the ride quality would improve further again but I wanted 20" wheels purely for the aesthetics. The superior ride quality afforded by PASM allows me to have both the style & still retain a ride quality that's acceptable to me. But you've done exactly what I would stated I would have if I hadn't been prepared to stretch to the cost of PASM & it's more than paid for your LED headlights & multifunction GT wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ride quality with 20" wheels and no PASM is surprisingly compliant when not in Sport mode. However, you will have the option to get winter tires for your 19" rims, and possibly all season tires too. --so far there are no winter tires available for 20" that I am aware of. I just went out today and picked up a used Subaru as my winter car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anyone want to trade their 19s for some 20s? Lol. I have no PASM and the car is awesome. Even on the crap roads in CT
I have basically new 19” classics whic came with my 718BS. Thinking about switching for some 20”. What you got?

Rippey

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyone want to trade their 19s for some 20s? Lol. I have no PASM and the car is awesome. Even on the crap roads in CT
If you're serious, I'll make the trip up there when my car is delivered. I don't miss CT roads, but when I go visit family in Glastonbury, I'm reminded of how horrible they are.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
--so far there are no winter tires available for 20" that I am aware of. I just went out today and picked up a used Subaru as my winter car.
Earlier this winter I looked into getting winter tires for my 20" wheels. I found listings in the correct sizes (20x235/35 and 20x265/35) from both Michelin and Pirelli, IIRC. They may even have carried the N rating. Of course there were none available anywhere within reasonable access.

I guess waiting till winter arrives before looking for scarce tires isn't so smart. I had originally intended to park the car through the winter, actually did for one week, then had a change of heart. In the end the weather kept bouncing between winter and some indeterminate warmer condition so I've been driving off and on anyway. Next year I may reconsider.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,405 Posts
Earlier this winter I looked into getting winter tires for my 20" wheels. I found listings in the correct sizes (20x235/35 and 20x265/35) from both Michelin and Pirelli, IIRC. They may even have carried the N rating. Of course there were none available anywhere within reasonable access.

I guess waiting till winter arrives before looking for scarce tires isn't so smart. I had originally intended to park the car through the winter, actually did for one week, then had a change of heart. In the end the weather kept bouncing between winter and some indeterminate warmer condition so I've been driving off and on anyway. Next year I may reconsider.
I got my car near the end of December here in Kentucky and have managed to get it out nearly every week for a day of either about 50 miles or about 100 miles. Not every week, but most. I'm at about 850 miles, for perspective.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 20” for the summer and love the ride. Super compliant and I can drive nard and that car rides like it’s on rails. I can make the back slide but it’s hard as I have 11” wide rears.

Rippey

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have 20" with SPASM (-20mm) and don't have any complaints about the ride. I turn the chassis to sport mode every now and then to try and feel a difference and only notice that the ride gets softer when i turn it off. My only complaints are about having to be super careful with driveways and speed bumps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We had extended test drives on 20" wheels: one with and one without PASM; having read multiple forum posts stating with 20" wheels you must have PASM we assumed we would have to add to the option list, however after 2 extended weekend test drives the myth (for us) was busted, With PASM we felt that the ride was a little firmer than without and sport mode was too harsh, but better than a no PASM car in sport mode.

Not driven any cars on less than 20's as thats pretty much the default car setup in every dealer we visited, so cant comment on the impact of reduced wheel/aspect ratio, we do have a set of 18" winters, but not fitted them yet to allow us to comment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts