Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Boxster S in December with about 25k miles (my third Porsche, so I am not new to the brand). The service history shows the car was serviced annually at the dealership with no issues. I drove the car about 45 minutes home on the highway with no issues, but the first time I drove it after that a warning popped up saying "Engine over temp. Park vehicle to cool down". I pulled over immediately and checked the temp and it was at 230 degrees. The car was flat bedded back to the dealer who diagnosed a fauly water pump and replaced it. Once again I drove the 45 minutes home with no issue, but the first time I drove it after that the same problem occurred. The car was returned to the dealer on a flat bed and this time the diagnosis was a fauly thermostat and it was replaced. I drove the car home, and this time I was able to drive it a few more times before it overheated again, same message but this time there was steam pouring out of the back of the car and a small amount of fluid under the car when it was moved for the flat bed. This time the engine temp was 219 when I pulled over. The car is back at the dealer now and I fear I have a lemon.

In every circumstance I was driving on normal roads, between 35 and 50 MPH and not driving hard at all. The outside temps ranged from 20-40 degrees across the three instances. If anyone can offer any insight at all it would be appreciated tremendously. Thanks in advance. -Frank

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Something isn't right, as far as cooling goes they've replaced most of the system components that would give you issues. Give them a chance and let the CPO warranty do its thing. I'd personally question if they're truly getting air out of the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something isn't right, as far as cooling goes they've replaced most of the system components that would give you issues. Give them a chance and let the CPO warranty do its thing. I'd personally question if they're truly getting air out of the system.
Thanks. I would think after three tries they would have gotten that right. I have only had the car about a month and have spent more time on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed than I have driving the car. I'm concerned the problem will never be resolved properly and that the overhearing could have long term impact on the engine. At this point I am contemplating making a lemon law claim.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's certainly frustrating and disheartening to have these perpetual issues, I can certainly empathize. If it helps at all, the only issues I've heard about regarding overheating on the S has to do with track duty, and going into "limp" mode (When I first read the title of this thread, I assumed that's what this would be). In other words, the issues you are having are not common, and not pervasive across all 718 S models.

If you like the car otherwise, maybe try a different dealer if you have one in your area. Otherwise, I certainly wouldn't fault you for trying to get out of it via lemon law.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's nearly impossible for me to believe it was only a coincidence the thermostat failed so soon after the water pump. More likely if there was an issue with the thermostat, it was there all along. Of course that doesn't help explain why the car overheated a third time after the two prior repairs, but it does lead me to wonder whether the technician(s) were competent. I wish I had something more constructive to add, but please post what the dealer finds this time. That may help to determine to whom you should turn next, eg, a different shop, PCNA, or your state's attorney general.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
not to be a downer... but do lemon laws apply to used vehicles?

I still think it's air in the system. If you've got a bubble in the cooling system it can really make diagnostics tough. They should be doing a complete system flush with any of the above mentioned repairs.

·
Registered
245 Posts

I still think it's air in the system. If you've got a bubble in the cooling system it can really make diagnostics tough. They should be doing a complete system flush with any of the above mentioned repairs.
Lemon Law does not apply to used vehicles in my state - UT.

·
Registered
2020 Cayman S, MT
65 Posts
my random guess: it sounds like there is a leak or a loose clamp on the radiator circuit which only really lets go once the system warms up and the thermostat is active. my other guess: there is a blockage in the radiator circuit. did the heat work before the failures?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all for your responses. I heard back from the dealership today and the theory is that the initial water pump failure resulted in a coolant leak to a vacuum hose that “gummed up” one or more vacuum valves. As a result the valve(s) are failing intermittently, potentially when the outside temperature is below freezing, which would cause the leaked fluid to become less viscous and therefore inhibit the proper working of the valve. Apparently Porsche has confirmed that this is a possibility. They are in the process of reviewing all of the valves. I’ll keep the group informed of the outcome as it may help someone else down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my random guess: it sounds like there is a leak or a loose clamp on the radiator circuit which only really lets go once the system warms up and the thermostat is active. my other guess: there is a blockage in the radiator circuit. did the heat work before the failures?
Thanks, yes the heat has always worked reliably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks, I’m not sure about the lemon law in CT which is where I bought the car. I’m hoping they will do the right thing and I don’t have to figure out the details, but I’m keeping all options open.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Boxster S in December with about 25k miles (my third Porsche, so I am not new to the brand). The service history shows the car was serviced annually at the dealership with no issues. I drove the car about 45 minutes home on the highway with no issues, but the first time I drove it after that a warning popped up saying "Engine over temp. Park vehicle to cool down". I pulled over immediately and checked the temp and it was at 230 degrees. The car was flat bedded back to the dealer who diagnosed a fauly water pump and replaced it. Once again I drove the 45 minutes home with no issue, but the first time I drove it after that the same problem occurred. The car was returned to the dealer on a flat bed and this time the diagnosis was a fauly thermostat and it was replaced. I drove the car home, and this time I was able to drive it a few more times before it overheated again, same message but this time there was steam pouring out of the back of the car and a small amount of fluid under the car when it was moved for the flat bed. This time the engine temp was 219 when I pulled over. The car is back at the dealer now and I fear I have a lemon.

In every circumstance I was driving on normal roads, between 35 and 50 MPH and not driving hard at all. The outside temps ranged from 20-40 degrees across the three instances. If anyone can offer any insight at all it would be appreciated tremendously. Thanks in advance. -Frank
It very well could be a bad head gasket. All of the parts that been replaced didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Bit of a myth that one, Modern vehicles have self-bleeding cooling systems. What you have to watch for is that the level is checked and topped up after the first few heat cycles after a drain/refil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I am experiencing a similar issue and would be keen to hear the outcome of your tribulations...!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hear about this. I am experiencing a similar issue and would be keen to hear the outcome of your tribulations...!
I'm sorry to hear it. At the last service the report said:
"26190 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WARNING OF ENGINE TOO HOT - VEHICLE FAILED
THERMAL MANAGEMENT TEST. LOOSEN BANK 1 ENGINE MOUNT TO ACCESS AND
INSPECT COOLANT PUMP SOLENOID FOR POSSIBLE DAMAGE (COOLANT PUMP
REPLACED PRIOR). AS PER TI 147/17 REPLACED COOLANT PUMP SOLENOID.
PERFORMED AND PASSED THERMAL MANAGEMENT TEST"

The specific line item said "REPLACED LEAKING SOLENOID (VALVE) AT TRANSMISSION COOLER"

This is after the water pump and thermostat were replaced in the first two visits. I have driven the car about 10 times since this service and so far (fingers crossed) it has not overheated again.

I hope this helps Good luck with your problem!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts