Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dealer near me has a one-owner off-lease 2017 Cayman S 6MT with 27K miles for sale for $61K. They are not willing to budge off their asking price at all, even though the car has been on their lot for 60+ days. The list price appears to be at the low end of the current market though it is $3K above the Edmunds True Market Value guide.

The car has most of the options I care about (PASM, 20" wheels, power folding mirrors, Bose stereo, Premium Package, bi-xenon headlights with PDLS, PSE) and is missing some that I wish it had (Chalk or blue exterior, leather interior, Sport PASM, PVT, Lane Change Assist). It has new tires but they are Falkens, not OE spec. Primarily I wish it was a CGTS because I plan to track it and I know CS may have heat soak issues. But I'm willing to compromise for value.

Is this a great deal not to be missed or something I can replicate/beat in the next 6 months if I'm patient?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Not a great price, but not ridiculously high either. Our BS lacked some options I felt were important at the track and limp mode was also a major concern. My mistake, so we sold and are now limbo Wait Club hostages.

Definitely should have waited for the right build. IMHO try to purchase your minimum build requirements and you’ll live happily ever after. Happy hunting!.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Not a great price, but not ridiculously high either. Our BS lacked some options I felt were important at the track and limp mode was also a major concern. My mistake, so we sold and are now limbo Wait Club hostages.

Definitely should have waited for the right build. IMHO try to purchase your minimum build requirements and you’ll live happily ever after. Happy hunting!.
I'm with @Treemagnet. The price doesn't strike me as anything special for what is about to be a five year old car that's out of warranty and not built to your liking. And the fact that it's been on the lot for over two months indicates it's not a value. There are plenty of shoppers willing to drive or ship nationwide. This would've been snatched up long ago if it was priced to sell.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you guys that the fundamental value isn't there relative to pre-COVID / normal times. The crazy thing is that it's the cheapest one in the country!

Are there any typically must-have options missing from that build sheet that are reducing the buyer pool? I can accept what it's missing (as long as it performs on the track - I will sell it if it heat soaks on the track).

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,467 Posts
I think it has much more than I would need, but nice to have options. @Treemagnet could definitely answer the heat soak issues, but it seems to me they are a bigger problem if the ambient air is very warm/hot and there isn't a lot of time between track laps. For example, the HPDEs I go to are 25 minutes on the track with three groups in between repeating. I have a base Cayman, however. If memory serves, @Treemagnet added the extra radiator and maybe even a vented under plate?

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
95 Posts
Is this a great deal not to be missed or something I can replicate/beat in the next 6 months if I'm patient?
After selling two cars and buying a 2018 CS this year I can safely say there are NO great deals for the buyer out there now. For the seller yes, but not the buyer, for sports cars anyway. If the car is what you want, buy it. If not, wait and one will turn up eventually. Don't expect it to be a "great deal" though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm with you guys that the fundamental value isn't there relative to pre-COVID / normal times. The crazy thing is that it's the cheapest one in the country!

Are there any typically must-have options missing from that build sheet that are reducing the buyer pool? I can accept what it's missing (as long as it performs on the track - I will sell it if it heat soaks on the track).
As for must-have options, I would want 18-way seats, particularly if you plan to track it. I've had both the 14 and the 18-way seats and had to work hard to keep myself planted in the 14-ways on the track. There are lots of discussions and opinions on this point. I think most of the differences of opinion can be chalked up to body type and/or the driver's agility. The side bolsters are quite a bit higher on the 18-ways and therefore provide quite a bit more lateral support and also take a touch more effort to get in and out of perhaps. Myself, I wouldn't buy one with 14-ways, but I am probably in the minority. I only suggest you try both before deciding.

While the lack of 18-ways probably doesn't reduce the size of the buyers pool all that much, lack of SportChrono might. I think the majority of owners/buyers lean toward having it. Maybe a large majority in fact.

Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If this is a CPO car it's a great deal at that price.
If not - I would also expect some room to negotiate down to $59K
They only imported ~5,000 of the 718 a year (2017 - 2018 and ~3,000 in 2019. That's ALL of them: Cayman, Boxster, S, GTS, PDK, Manual, etc.) - so finding "that great spec" in a manual Cayman may not come around again...

Or are white / silver cars finally passé? 😉😊

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While the lack of 18-ways probably doesn't reduce the size of the buyers pool all that much, lack of SportChrono might. I think the majority of owners/buyers lean toward having it. Maybe a large majority in fact.
After much research I can't figure out what SportChrono actually does in a manual car with a Sport mode button. There's no real power gain with Sport+, it's just rev matching and throttle mapping, unless I'm mistaken. (And with lap timer apps the analog lap timer on the dash is clutter in my opinion.)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If this is a CPO car it's a great deal at that price.
If not - I would also expect some room to negotiate down to $59K
They only imported ~5,000 of the 718 a year (2017 - 2018 and ~3,000 in 2019. That's ALL of them: Cayman, Boxster, S, GTS, PDK, Manual, etc.) - so finding "that great spec" in a manual Cayman may not come around again...

Or are white / silver cars finally passé? 😉😊
No CPO. One owner, no accidents, Southern California car.

I'm currently weighing this vs. a two-owner no-accidents 2016 CGTS with 14K miles that has come up locally for $77K, assuming I can get that down to $70K. I prefer the newer car except for the exhaust note (which I don't mind on the 718, it's just clearly not as good) and the risk of heat soak on the 718 CS, so it feels very weird to pay more for an older car.

·
Registered
58 Posts

This is a great deal.
Especially since it's in SoCal.
Very hard to compare a hot used market where the previous generation had a different engine and specs.
(but also the 718 CS makes more power and is faster and newer sooooo.) 😁
I can't speak to the overheating issue - but a radiator kit and undertray seems to solve it according to most. If you're tracking it more than 4 times a year, you'll spend more in tires than that upgrade.

Good luck!

·
Registered
776 Posts
After much research I can't figure out what SportChrono actually does in a manual car with a Sport mode button. There's no real power gain with Sport+, it's just rev matching and throttle mapping, unless I'm mistaken. (And with lap timer apps the analog lap timer on the dash is clutter in my opinion.)
There is no power gain regardless of mode or package. Power is consistent in any mode and with/without sport chrono package.

Sport chrono on a 6mt car changes throttle response, PSE and PASM setting, adaptive engine mounts, and auto rev matching among other things. Essentially, it does the same things it does in a PDK car except swap the auto blip for aggressive downshifts/holding gears.

Sport chrono is much more useful on a PDK car IMO since it really changes the dynamic of the gearbox for track driving. For manual cars, less you must have auto rev matching I don’t think it’s an important make or break option.

·
Registered
859 Posts
No CPO. One owner, no accidents, Southern California car.

I'm currently weighing this vs. a two-owner no-accidents 2016 CGTS with 14K miles that has come up locally for $77K, assuming I can get that down to $70K. I prefer the newer car except for the exhaust note (which I don't mind on the 718, it's just clearly not as good) and the risk of heat soak on the 718 CS, so it feels very weird to pay more for an older car.
There's a $16K difference between the two to start, so I'm going to assume price isn't an issue. That being the case I would ask myself which car suits my purposes better since they are two reasonably different cars/platforms.

·
Registered
859 Posts
There is no power gain regardless of mode or package. Power is consistent in any mode and with/without sport chrono package.

Sport chrono on a 6mt car changes throttle response, PSE and PASM setting, adaptive engine mounts, and auto rev matching among other things. Essentially, it does the same things it does in a PDK car except swap the auto blip for aggressive downshifts/holding gears.

Sport chrono is much more useful on a PDK car IMO since it really changes the dynamic of the gearbox for track driving. For manual cars, less you must have auto rev matching I don’t think it’s an important make or break option.
Having had manuals with and without SC, I tend to agree now that a Sport button is standard in cars without SC. Before the Sport button became standard, SC was a must-have in my book. The throttle remapping in Sport Mode made it a completely different car.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the explanation, @gatorfast . I forgot about the adaptive engine mounts.

@Third I wouldn't say that price isn't an issue. Yes, I can afford either, but I am deeply analytical about value.
  • Pros for the 2016 CGTS are confidence it will perform on track days and not suffer from heat sink, engine sound, appearance (GTS interior and exterior packages), leather and alcantara interior, 18-way Sport Seats Plus, keyless entry, auto rev matching. People say it's likely to have less depreciation and that may be true from new or if you pay the same for both used but given the +$15K higher price point in this case I think depreciation will be about the same.
  • Pros for the 2017 CS are overall appearance (718 body style), capability (faster and better handling), technology (PCM 4.0, Apple CarPlay, backup camera, power folding mirrors, ambient lighting), PASM, more tunable, lower cost.
First world problems for sure. I drove a 718 CS and a 981 Cayman base earlier this week and liked them both. The only time the 718's exhaust note bothered me was on cold start. After a few seconds of sounding like a lawn tractor, it was all good.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, @gatorfast . I forgot about the adaptive engine mounts.

@Third I wouldn't say that price isn't an issue. Yes, I can afford either, but I am deeply analytical about value.
Me too (it's a curse!), and it's what led my thinking in my earlier responses. For best value/compromise without having to wait, I'd look for a 2014 (or consider a 2017 base with miles if you want the 718 platform) to scratch the itch until the market settles down, then look for a 2021 GTS 4.0. Either the '14 or '17 will temper the depreciation you have to suffer.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Do believe I may have experienced limp mode, but I did not have the third radiator or vented under plate. When driving an S for 15+ minute HPDE sessions and the ambient temp was 85° or higher, then the S was likely to experience limp mode during or after the 2nd session. This is based on my experience, along with a few others at COTA. I do not believe I ever experienced limp mode at Harris Hill Raceway, primarily because sessions were shorter, they ran 5 groups (which meant long downtimes), temps were only high 70's to low 80's, and it was a short 1.8 mile track. Thus, you aren't standing on the throttle for long periods of time. COTA is the opposite, two long straights with many high speed corners.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A dealer near me has a one-owner off-lease 2017 Cayman S 6MT with 27K miles for sale for $61K. They are not willing to budge off their asking price at all, even though the car has been on their lot for 60+ days. The list price appears to be at the low end of the current market though it is $3K above the Edmunds True Market Value guide.

The car has most of the options I care about (PASM, 20" wheels, power folding mirrors, Bose stereo, Premium Package, bi-xenon headlights with PDLS, PSE) and is missing some that I wish it had (Chalk or blue exterior, leather interior, Sport PASM, PVT, Lane Change Assist). It has new tires but they are Falkens, not OE spec. Primarily I wish it was a CGTS because I plan to track it and I know CS may have heat soak issues. But I'm willing to compromise for value.

Let us know what you ultimately decide! Good luck!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Does the 2016 CGTS have PTV/LSD? I don't think it was standard, unlike on the 2018+ CGTS so worth confirming.

Otherwisw I think the 981s are still great value particularly if it is low mielage. Otherwise, I'd wait for a 718 GTS as it has what you need for the track with no known issues.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Let us know what you ultimately decide! Good luck!
I went to Porsche Marin yesterday to test some seats. I was able to sit in the 2-way Sport Seats Plus, 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus and 14-way Sport Seats. I preferred them in that order. The SS+ worked for me; the SS side bolsters were too cushioned and pressed on my torso which bothered me. That means the $60K Cayman S in Palm Springs is off my list, unfortunately, and the price of admission to Porsche ownership just got much higher.

Next best option I have found is a CPO 2018 718 Cayman GTS at Porsche Bethesda (DC area). It is Carrara White with a standard black interior (boo on alcantara delete), 18-way seats and a good collection of daily driver friendly options (e.g., Premium Plus which adds ambient lighting and keyless entry to the Premium Package) for $79,998 ($1282/mo.). 26k miles and CPO warranty through March 2024. It would cost me $2500 to get the car shipped cross-country. They are pretty firm on price which I think makes the value questionable and stretches my budget. Used 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman For Sale in North Bethesda MD | Stock: MJS278258

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

1 - 20 of 38 Posts