Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As a nod to the legendary 718 race car equipped with a flat-four, Porsche is renaming the Boxster series to 718 Boxster and 718 Boxster S. More than just a name, the new 718 Boxster will be getting a full update with new engines under the hood.

Both models come with a standard six-speed manual transmission and a new turbocharged flat-four engine (in two displacements, 2.0-liters and 2.5-liters) will be mounted on its mid-engine, rear-wheel drive powertrain.

The base 718 Boxster will be equipped with the 2.0-liter engine producing an output of 300hp and 280 lb-ft of torque that is made available from 1,950 rpm to 4,500 rpm. Enough to accelerate the 718 from 0-100km/h in 5.1 seconds or, if you decide to go with the optional PDK dual-clutch transmission, that acceleration time will be cut down to 4.9 seconds. For those of you who want to reduce that time even more without moving up to the S model, the Sport Chrono Package may be what you’re looking for, reducing the time to a blistering 4.7 seconds.

One step up is the 718 Boxster S with the turbocharged 2.5-liter engine producing an output of 350 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque from 1,900 rpm to 4,500 rpm. Without the PDK, the S model’s acceleration from 0-100km/h can be achieved in 4.6 s. With PDK, an extra .2 seconds is shaved off for a 4.4s acceleration time and if need be, another .2 seconds can be removed with the Sport Chrono Package for a 4.2s acceleration time.

Not only are the engines more powerful but Porsche claims that they’re more fuel efficient with a 13% improvement in fuel consumption thanks to their fuel-saving virtual gear system. Note that it’s only available with the PDK dual-clutch transmission option but that acceleration increase on top of improved fuel economy may be worth the extra cost.

The new 718 Boxster is set to arrive State side in June so keep $56,000 stashed away for the base model or $68,400 for the S. Maybe include an extra $1,050 for destination charges too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
$68,400 for the 718 Boxster S isn't as bad as i thought it would be. How much would you have to pay for something similar in power? In the 100k range?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Can always depend on Porsche for now to keep manuals kicking around instead of phasing it out, although I don't know how that will hold up mid-cycle, hopefully it stays all throughout. Its successor may not have the same luck.

·
Registered
459 Posts
13% improvement to fuel economy is pretty substantial. Design doesn't look much different though.
It is, but of course to us that isn't something that matters much. We're in it to have fun and what matters more is where it excels in performance.

At least if some raging prius owner comes up to us we can tell them Porsche improved, 13% improvement to fuel economy!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree but I appreciate an efficient vehicle. I wouldn't drive something that guzzles gas like some of the cars that came out in the 2000s.

·
Registered
459 Posts
To each their own but some people are passionate about certain vehicles that happen to pollute, if you don't fit into that category or have any real needs, then of course your dollars wont be spent on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts