Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems Porsche will be adding a new trim package to the Cayenne with whats called the "Platinum Edition". Both interior and exterior has had subtle but effective changes made that really bring everything together. Definitely love the new wheels, and the new treadplates are a nice touch.

"Among the extras are 20-inch RS Spyder-style wheels, flared wheel arches, gloss black exterior accents, 8-way adjustable sports seats with leather and Alcantara trim and Porsche logos on the head rests, and finally stainless steel treadplates with a “Platinum Edition” inscription. The SUVs also receive parking aids, anti-glare mirrors, tinted windows and speed-sensitive steering."

"

The 2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Edition will start at $66,650 and while the Cayenne S E-Hybrid Platinum Edition will set you back $82,650. Both figures include Porsche’s standard $1,050 destination charge and represent a rough $6,000 premium over the respective Cayenne models without the Platinum Edition treatment."

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's basically an aesthetics package and not really needed. I see SUVs as beater cars and the CAyman as the fun toy. Not really necessary to spend so much on a beater car.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally is an aesthetics package, nothing really performance changing to the point where it's worth mentioning. I definitely see where you're coming from though, the Cayman is for enjoying, the SUVs are just to get dirty work done, get around to do errands or go through places I wouldn't usually take the Cayman

·
892 Posts
The Platinum editions of the Cayenne have been available in the U.K for quite some considerable time. The amount of kit for relatively little money over a standard car would make it pretty much the obvious choice for me, were I in the market for one. The Cayenne itself however is a little on the large side for the roads where I live (pretty much all twisty & narrow, perfect in a Boxster or Cayman though). I can see myself eventually replacing my second vehicle (BMW 2 series coupe) with the smaller & much better handling Macan & hopefully by that time they'll have a similar package available for that vehicle. I have to say though, that I like all of my cars to be well equipped, no matter what their usage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a 2014 Cayenne Platinum Edition and the add ons where strictly aesthetic. I also had a Cayenne S which was a nice vehicle but for performance and driving I would go with the Macan. Unless you need the extra room for hauling or family needs the Macan is a great CUV and checks all the boxes for me in a sporty CUV. By no means is a Macan a sports car but it drives as close to a sports car as a SUV can. Of course the best thing is to drive both and then make your decision.

·
892 Posts
I fully agree with you Gallatin, I've driven both the Cayenne & the Macan on several occasions & find the Macan to have far superior handling. Also & as I said in my previous comment the Cayenne is just too big for the roads where I live as well. Whilst the Macan isn't a sports car it drives far better than quite a few saloons I've driven & it's still just about small enough & agile enough for our local roads. Looking at your list I have to say that you own some rather nice vehicles & admit that I'm left feeling ever so slightly envious. ;-)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I fully agree with you Gallatin, I've driven both the Cayenne & the Macan on several occasions & find the Macan to have far superior handling. Also & as I said in my previous comment the Cayenne is just too big for the roads where I live as well. Whilst the Macan isn't a sports car it drives far better than quite a few saloons I've driven & it's still just about small enough & agile enough for our local roads. Looking at your list I have to say that you own some rather nice vehicles & admit that I'm left feeling ever so slightly envious. ;-)
Chilli--Porsche is my guilty pleasure/obsession ha ha. It has taken me a while to get to this combination of vehicles and I have to say I think I have hit the sweet spot of ownership. My wife drives the Panamera GTS most of the time. For me having the Macan and Boxster is the best of both worlds. I had a 911 as a DD but it just wasn't working for me given my lifestyle and needs. The Macan serves as a great DD and the Boxster is just plain fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts