Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, have been learning a lot monitoring the forum and have been looking for a used 718 Cayman S (would be my first Porsche, have test driven both base and S models). Most all used Cayman S's I have found include some or all of the PASM/SC/PTV/etc performance options. Noticed a very low mileage 2018 with a few comfort options but none of the performance options. I don't plan on tracking the car or using it for a DD, but would a Cayman with an option combination like this be difficult to resell? Figuring most people looking for the performance of an S is also going to want PASM/SC/PTV/etc.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
I suspect you might be right—although how right I can't tell.
Of course if you plan on keeping it for a good while then the performance options do little for a daily driver and occasional sporty drives IMO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For what it's worth, I monitor my OPC's pre-owned stock and quite a few 718's have been on offer without SC, PTV etc and I never got the sense they lingered. From what my retailer tells me, the majority of buyers are not the enthusiasts that one would find on a forum like this and simply want a 'Porsche'. So as it's been said on my threads, buy what feels right for you.

Good luck!

P

·
Registered
654 Posts
We love our 718 BS, which has SC and Sport PASM, but lacks PTV (which adds the electronic limited slip differential). I cannot say how beneficial PTV would be, but after only two half-day HPDE's, it's obvious our car would be somewhat more stable on track with the limited slip diff.

PTV was originally a must have, but couldn't find the right CPO with that option. Regardless, I am quite satisfied with the performance of our BS and would not trade just to get PTV/LSD. That said, I am currently searching for the right pre-owned GTS. Not for LSD, but to decrease the probability of encountering any potential track related heat soak limp mode issues that have plagued the "S" since inception, something I was not aware of at time of purchase.

You will find the issue noted in several threads on this and other forums. I have yet to experience limp mode, but track temps in the Texas Hill Country hit 100+ fairly frequently during our nuclear summer months. Thus, I view getting PTV & LSD (standard on GTS) as simply a bonus, even though they will provide me with fairly limited benefits for DD or long trips.

IMHO those who plan to rarely or never track their cars (perhaps the overwhelming majority of buyers) probably won't view PTV as a critical option. However, well informed buyers who plan to heavily track their cars are likely to view the heat soak limp mode issue as far more critical and avoid the "S" all together...again, MOO.

Reactions: cbarra

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't plan on tracking the car or using it for a DD, but would a Cayman with an option combination like this be difficult to resell?
I bought my S two years ago and was looking for the performance options. My experience was they were hard to come by and at that time there weren't many GTSs in the market. I ended up buying a car from a dealership in Chicago, 700 miles away, to find a manual with PTV/PASM and PSE. It didn't have SC, which on a manual car isn't as functional. So, no I don't think it will be any more difficult to resell, especially since the GTS is viable option to a performance spec'd S especially in the used/CPO market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought my S two years ago and was looking for the performance options. My experience was they were hard to come by and at that time there weren't many GTSs in the market. I ended up buying a car from a dealership in Chicago, 700 miles away, to find a manual with PTV/PASM and PSE. It didn't have SC, which on a manual car isn't as functional. So, no I don't think it will be any more difficult to resell, especially since the GTS is viable option to a performance spec'd S especially in the used/CPO market.
Good point, someone buying a 718 planning a fair amount of track time would most likely be looking for a GTS or GT4.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This is my first post, have been learning a lot monitoring the forum and have been looking for a used 718 Cayman S (would be my first Porsche, have test driven both base and S models). Most all used Cayman S's I have found include some or all of the PASM/SC/PTV/etc performance options. Noticed a very low mileage 2018 with a few comfort options but none of the performance options. I don't plan on tracking the car or using it for a DD, but would a Cayman with an option combination like this be difficult to resell? Figuring most people looking for the performance of an S is also going to want PASM/SC/PTV/etc.

thanks
I take it you're a pilot?

As for your car question, the market for an S without SC and/or PASM will be smaller than with, but I'm sure the price you pay should reflect that. And you can be sure there's a buyer for every Porsche if/when one day you decide to sell.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take it you're a pilot?

As for your car question, the market for an S without SC and/or PASM will be smaller than with, but I'm sure the price you pay should reflect that. And you can be sure there's a buyer for every Porsche if/when one day you decide to sell.

Keep us posted!
Yes, built a Pietenpol Aircamper in my garage over a 10 year period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Cayman is to be my DD and I'm not going to track it so I didn't option the performance items. It is a manual car, so I didn't see the need for SC as there is a Sport button anyway, so I reasoned that I'd only be missing Sports+ and the auto-blip. I test drove a Cayman on 20" wheels with no PASM and the ride was absolutley fine for me. I've optioned 19" wheels on mine, so again didn't see the need for PASM. If I had gone for PDK, I think I might have also optioned SC, so that could be a factor to consider. I think ANY Cayman is still going to be a great sports car!

·
Registered
756 Posts
My Cayman is to be my DD and I'm not going to track it so I didn't option the performance items. It is a manual car, so I didn't see the need for SC as there is a Sport button anyway, so I reasoned that I'd only be missing Sports+ and the auto-blip. I test drove a Cayman on 20" wheels with no PASM and the ride was absolutley fine for me. I've optioned 19" wheels on mine, so again didn't see the need for PASM. If I had gone for PDK, I think I might have also optioned SC, so that could be a factor to consider. I think ANY Cayman is still going to be a great sports car!
While the SC knob and additional modes and features are nice, I agree they might not be missed quite so much now that a "Sport Button" is standard non-SC-equipped cars. Sport-mode throttle mapping is a must-have in my book.
On the other hand, PASM is on my list of must-have options, though I recognize that's certainly not the case for everyone. I find the ride to be completely different in PASM-Sport compared to Normal (just around town!), and worth paying for. One needn't track the car to appreciate the difference. This gets back to the OP's original question. Some, like me, wouldn't be interested if/when he goes to sell, but there are plenty that will be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a loaded base... I wouldn’t buy a porsche without Sports Chrono or PSE. If I wanted an S I wouldn’t purchase without PSE, PASM or Sports Chrono.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The issue for me is any non-PASM car just looks too high with the huge arch gap clearance. Just the -10mm with PASM makes more of a difference than you think. And sports PASM -20mm...the stance is just so much more purposeful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts