Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Cayman S, however, I am now obsessing a bit. With the new Cayman’s going back to the flat 6 will the 4 cylinders depreciate a lot faster? A 2014/2015 S is about the same price as the 2018 S I’m looking at. Any issues specific to the 2018 model year. A lot of websites that review vehicles has the 2018 ranked lower than 2014-2017 models. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
They are not discontinuing the flat 4. Only the GTS has made the switch.

as for price being about the same I’d question if you are either getting a great deal, has a ton of miles or possibly a history that would justify that. A 2018 should carry more value than a 14-16. Options, mileage, history, condition all matter. By all accounts the 718 is a superior vehicle! Except for the one area that is subjective to opinions and that is sound.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Plenty of opinions on that here, so do a search. My synopsis would be (and open for argument of course): The 4 cylinders are here to stay for the base, S and probably T; with PSM (standard on 2019+) the F4 sound complaints are about null; depending on how you drive, there may be more lag under 2K RPM for the base engine as opposed to the S with VTG; the turbo pulls better through the entire range, but the F6 sound better at high RPMs; some think F6 is a more traditional Porsche, but others argue that the F4 has the longer history. And what @HooosierDaddy said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Cayman S, however, I am now obsessing a bit. With the new Cayman’s going back to the flat 6 will the 4 cylinders depreciate a lot faster? A 2014/2015 S is about the same price as the 2018 S I’m looking at. Any issues specific to the 2018 model year. A lot of websites that review vehicles has the 2018 ranked lower than 2014-2017 models. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you
They are not discontinuing the flat 4. Only the GTS has made the switch.

as for price being about the same I’d question if you are either getting a great deal, has a ton of miles or possibly a history that would justify that. A 2018 should carry more value than a 14-16. Options, mileage, history, condition all matter. By all accounts the 718 is a superior vehicle! Except for the one area that is subjective to opinions and that is sound.
Its private party and I would be 3rd owner. Getting a PPI done but no accidents via carfax. The 2018 is about $5k more than a 2014 from a dealer. Factory warranty on the 2018 vs CPO warranty on the 2014. Miles are less on the 18 vs the 14. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plenty of opinions on that here, so do a search. My synopsis would be (and open for argument of course): The 4 cylinders are here to stay for the base, S and probably T; with PSM (standard on 2019+) the F4 sound complaints are about null; depending on how you drive, there may be more lag under 2K RPM for the base engine as opposed to the S with VTG; the turbo pulls better through the entire range, but the F6 sound better at high RPMs; some think F6 is a more traditional Porsche, but others argue that the F4 has the longer history. And what @HooosierDaddy said.
Thank you. It’s a weekend plus driver and won’t be tracked so I don’t think it will run at high rpms often.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Its private party and I would be 3rd owner. Getting a PPI done but no accidents via carfax. The 2018 is about $5k more than a 2014 from a dealer. Factory warranty on the 2018 vs CPO warranty on the 2014. Miles are less on the 18 vs the 14. Thank you.
Private vs. Dealer so sure the prices are probably close. My bet is the 2018 on the dealer lot would reflect a much higher price. CPO is nice though. Guess I look at it the other way... why would I spend the same for an older, less advanced car? To me it would have to be a signifiant savings to go with the (14-16).

Don't get me wrong, I love the 981 series and the exhaust note it provides and always seem to be kicking around getting one. But keep coming to a cross road of making room... there's nothing in my garage I would let go of for the sound of the 981.

Good luck and either choice will be wonderful!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Every review I've ever read comparing a 982 to the prior generation (ie, 981) has concluded the 982 is the superior car. By a lot! The only aspect of a 981 that ever comes out on top is the exhaust note. With that, It's not clear why the cost of both cars would be the same, or even comparable, even before factoring the three to four year age difference mentioned! I've owned both and both generations are fantastic, but I would not trade backwards unless there was a significant dollar savings to be had. My 2018 Cayman S with its 350HP turbo-4 is nothing short of extraordinary.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
In the end it's all about you, how you drive and what's important to you.
Weekends only, high revs in the twisties, then maybe the 981 but it's close. The 982 handles better but doesn't sound like a 6.
Some daily, cruising as well as twisties, willing to take torque everywhere instead of revving high to get it, then the 982 is a shoe-in.
IMO of course.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In the end it's all about you, how you drive and what's important to you.
Weekends only, high revs in the twisties, then maybe the 981 but it's close. The 982 handles better but doesn't sound like a 6.
Some daily, cruising as well as twisties, willing to take torque everywhere instead of revving high to get it, then the 982 is a shoe-in.
IMO of course.
I almost totally agree :)
Twisties is the 981? I enjoy the sound of my M2 (my new cs will arrive at the end of the year/beginning of next year) but I think that the handling is what makes it great car.

As you mentioned IMO ;-)

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
I almost totally agree :)
Twisties is the 981? I enjoy the sound of my M2 (my new cs will arrive at the end of the year/begging of next year) but I think that the handling is what makes it great car.

As you mentioned IMO ;-)
It's not just the twisties, it's the high revs too. The revs get you the sound. Most of my driving is below 4500 revs and I prefer the sound of the 4—but I grew up with V8s.
I'd give the ultimate performance to the 982, but then some prefer "a slower car driven fast", (if that applies to a modern Porsche at all).

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Sound doesn't take the turns!

Superior handling and engine performance does. Having nearly constant torque (at maximum) throughout the range is the gift of the turbo and I wouldn't have it any other way (barring a 911 GT3 RS...). It straightens up the twisties like you won't believe.

On the other hand, closed tracks with long straights and very high speeds favor the NA6. No argument there.

In city driving, the turbo is king! You 've heard about the NA6's linear power (or torque) delivery. What it means is that there is a hole in the torque curve at low and medium RPM. Take a ride around town with a 718/718S and you will remember it forever.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Minor pedantic correction, as you certainly mean the latter:
  • PSM = Porsche Stability Management
  • PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would certainly drive both before you make the decision. To be honest, I did not drive the 981 prior to purchasing my 982CS. Now I wish I had. I don't know if it's all the hype about the poor sound of the F4 or if it truly bothers me, but it seems to be a point of contention for me. I love the torque of the F4. It also feels like the 718 depreciation is worse than the 981, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Minor pedantic correction, as you certainly mean the latter:
  • PSM = Porsche Stability Management
  • PSE = Porsche Sport Exhaust
Certainly not pedantic, particularly when you are spot on! Brain on non-adaptive cruise control, apparently.

Reactions: Graustark
1 - 15 of 15 Posts