Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Some interesting changes:

PSE and Porsche Connect are now standard!
The smartphone compartment and CarPlay are now standalone options.

My car must be one of the last of the 2018s. (It goes into the body shop next week.)

For me, my 2018 build would be about $1430 more expensive, however it would come with PSE as standard which was more than $1430 so for some the cost of a 2019 may be cheaper.

I'm just a little bummed because I made a conscious choice to skip PSE. If it had been free/included then I would have been happy with that. :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
...and Rhodium Silver and Graphite Blue are gone. :eek:
(thanks Trusted)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Smartphone compartment is new....looks similar to what I have now....wonder what, if any changes it is for $560.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting. Makes me also wonder if those were the two most unpopular color choices.

EDIT: Also standard now is that the auto start/stop function retains the last selected choice. Well F me sideways. Now if it's the same for the climate control....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interesting that PSE is now standard. Configured as closely as possible, it seems the 2019 is $1340 more expensive than the 2018 I ordered. But if you add the PSE factor, the newer one is less expensive...

·
Registered
584 Posts
It’s the same thing that 2017/8 have standard. There is an antenna of some sort somewhere that acts as a cellphone booster.
I've queried this forum, asked my dealer, and read in the on-line manual to learn that the US cars do not get the smartphone insert.

Does anyone with a US car have this insert? Is it possible to truly know this?

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts

PSE and Porsche Connect are now standard!(
And Porsche Connect was what, a $1,100 option? That basically means 2019 models have roughly $2,400 in formerly optional equipment now standard, which more than makes up for the price hike.

It's year three of the model's run, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some interior design/color/surface tweaks, too.

·
Registered
716 Posts

PSE and Porsche Connect are now standard!
What is PSE?

Having Porsche Connect as standard is disappointing. I'd never use it and don't want to pay for it. It should be an option IMO. But I guess Porsche needs a way to justify a price increase.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've queried this forum, asked my dealer, and read in the on-line manual to learn that the US cars do not get the smartphone insert.
Can you tell me where you read that the US doesn't get this? Every car I looked at had it in the US. Maybe it comes with Porsche Connect? I don't think this is a new feature.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And Porsche Connect was what, a $1,100 option? That basically means 2019 models have roughly $2,400 in formerly optional equipment now standard, which more than makes up for the price hike.
But connect came with Apple Car Play which now is a $360 stand alone option. Porsche Nav got ridiculously expensive now that they bundle it with connect+. Porsche options and pricing will always remain mysterious to me.
Also looks like Sapphire Blue is gone too. (in the US anyway)
Good catch. They really slashed the color options for MY '19.
What is PSE?
Porsche Sport Exhaust

·
Registered
584 Posts
Can you tell me where you read that the US doesn't get this? Every car I looked at had it in the US. Maybe it comes with Porsche Connect? I don't think this is a new feature.
Certainly:

Page 165 | 2017 718 Boxster Manual | Porsche iManuals

My SA was certain that, even with Connect+, there was nothing in the center console.

Here is my thread, in which this forum also, to the extent that anyone understood what I was asking and was willing and able to respond, declared that there was no inserted docking station in the center console.

We seem to live in a post-knowledge, post-fact world. I was totally on the fence about Connect+. I wouldn't have gotten it if I knew that any available storage space in the center console would be lost. I tried to ask that; I though I was sufficiently clear. Now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also looks like Sapphire Blue is gone too. (in the US anyway)
I'm really surprised the 2 blues are gone (especially Graphite) but Rhodium Silver, not so much.

Reactions: TEST DRyVer

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an insider at Porsche NA that told me that PSE was going to be a standard offering for the MY '19 and which colors were going to be discontinued, but I also knew about the price hike and Car Play price reduction... so I went a head an ordered the last 2018 allocation my dealer (our dealer -- I work in the corporate office of a LARGE auto group) so I could get it before the '19s land and so I could have an '18 with zero miles. I figured I could just add PSE later or pick one up slightly used if I still want it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
But connect came with Apple Car Play which now is a $360 stand alone option. Porsche Nav got ridiculously expensive now that they bundle it with connect+. Porsche options and pricing will always remain mysterious to me.

Good catch. They really slashed the color options for MY '19.

Porsche Sport Exhaust
So PSE is then another option I have no interest in. Not that I'm looking to get a 2019 718, but if I was I'd be annoyed it was more to include an option I'd never use. They should make all options optional - then keep the price down and let people customize as they want.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So PSE is then another option I have no interest in. Not that I'm looking to get a 2019 718, but if I was I'd be annoyed it was more to include an option I'd never use. They should make all options optional - then keep the price down and let people customize as they want.
I have no interest in PSE either but I could point out many features I never use, and if given the choice, I would de-select, if it could save me money. For example, I NEVER use cruise control. Ever. Don't like it. Don't want to pay for it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have no interest in PSE either but I could point out many features I never use, and if given the choice, I would de-select, if it could save me money. For example, I NEVER use cruise control. Ever. Don't like it. Don't want to pay for it.
But wasn't the PSE a $2,000 option? I can see including an option that would be $100, but one that is thousands? (I'm assuming that cruise control isn't a massively expensive option.)

I suspect they included the sport exhaust because people were complaining about the noise of the engine.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts