Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for posting the build sheet. $2770 is for the Cayman T interior package - ie deviating stripe seats, seatbelts etc. This isn't the leather interior w. Cayman T package, right? Did you pick up on how much extra the leather version of the package is? $2770 seems a bit steep for pinstriping, which is a shame because it looks awesome.

C.
I agree that its a little pricey but so is $3,730 for PDK and $2580 for Miami Blue paint when it's nothing more than the Guards Red of blue. Remember it's a Porsche and you have to pay to play. I did not check out the leather version of the T Interior package because I didn't feel it was necessary.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have PTV on my 6 MT 2018 Cayman. Also PASM (true, not Sport PASM), Sport Chrono, Exhaust, and so forth so it is specced close to the T exclusive of the aesthetic and weight-saving items. In any event, I love the car!
My apologies RE: PTV. I was thinking of the base Carrera, which cannot be specced with PTV and the limited slip differential.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi, I am not sure if I should congratulate you on your new purchase as I was told 2020 Cayman/Boxster will be returning with flat 6 engine and moving forward 2023 we are possibly getting them in EV. Regardless 718 is a great car, I am happy for you. Enjoy your ride.
I've done some research and the only Cayman/Boxster being offered in 2020 with a flat 6 is the Cayman GT4 and the Boxster Spyder. Both will have a flat 6 engine producing 414 horsepower. All other Cayman and Boxster models will continue with the 4 cylinder turbo.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi, I am not sure if I should congratulate you on your new purchase as I was told 2020 Cayman/Boxster will be returning with flat 6 engine and moving forward 2023 we are possibly getting them in EV. Regardless 718 is a great car, I am happy for you. Enjoy your ride.
Eh, I will believe that when I see it. Flat 6 in EV?

On other notes, I feel the T model is kind of the cheapest available track-specific car. Fabric door pulls. Pinstripe cloth seating. A few sport features standard like PTV.

I will no tracking intentions. Need ventilated (so leather) seats. Prefer metal door pulls. And now planning to go w/ S instead of base. So T is out for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Eh, I will believe that when I see it. Flat 6 in EV?

On other notes, I feel the T model is kind of the cheapest available track-specific car. Fabric door pulls. Pinstripe cloth seating. A few sport features standard like PTV.

I will no tracking intentions. Need ventilated (so leather) seats. Prefer metal door pulls. And now planning to go w/ S instead of base. So T is out for me.
Like I said earlier different stokes for different folks. You can't go wrong with an S.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree that its a little pricey but so is $3,730 for PDK and $2580 for Miami Blue paint when it's nothing more than the Guards Red of blue. Remember it's a Porsche and you have to pay to play. I did not check out the leather version of the T Interior package because I didn't feel it was necessary.
Ordering a T with PDK?. I know people will - and it goes to show the whole "gone driving" marketing is a load of crap, otherwise it'd be MT only like the GT/Spyder - but still...

·
Super Moderator
709 Posts
and it goes to show the whole "gone driving" marketing is a load of crap, otherwise it'd be MT only like the GT/Spyder - but still...
Not necessarily. The 718 GT4 Clubsport (the ultimate 718) comes with PDK only.

The MT in the GT/Spyder caters to the vocal minority of 'purists' who want NA-6 with MT. That's what the GT/Spyder is all about. Marketing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not necessarily. The 718 GT4 Clubsport (the ultimate 718) comes with PDK only.

The MT in the GT/Spyder caters to the vocal minority of 'purists' who want NA-6 with MT. That's what the GT/Spyder is all about. Marketing.
The GT4 clubsport is meant for the track, where the PDK gives an undeniable advantage for lap times. The T is marketed as something for the purist and supposed to be about "driving involvement", not necessarily speed or shaving tenths of a second.

Also rather nonsensical to buy a car where a big deal has been made about weight-saving, only to lump in the much heavier PDK transmission.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
The PDK is an option not a standard. I'm sure quite a few Cayman T buyers will opt to stay with the 6 speed manual. I'm not buying the T for track purposes but to enjoy spirited rides through the North Georgia mountains as well as my daily driver. I live in an area with heavy traffic so manual transmission is not a viable option for me and that's why I'm going PDK.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well if it's a daily, can't argue with taking the more practical, rather than romantic approach.

And not my intention to denigrate either choice, but with the T being more focused I'd have thought the base might be more popular for daily duties.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My original thought was to order the base but I really like the standard features on the T and if I spec them on the base they would cost me more money so why not go with the T. Besides who says it won't be fun as a daily driver.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My original thought was to order the base but I really like the standard features on the T and if I spec them on the base they would cost me more money so why not go with the T. Besides who says it won't be fun as a daily driver.
Fair. I was in the same situation re requirements, albeit my daily is something else. Regardless, it's a cracking car, no doubt about it.

·
Super Moderator
709 Posts
You just can't go wrong!

Nice eh?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’ve had my T for 4 months now. If any prospective US buyers have questions, I’ll answer any I can. My personal reason for buying a T? I fancied a change to my 2016 2.0, liked the T package and due to the better residuals a new T was cheaper than another 2.0. (y)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing. From what I've read and heard about the T makes me very excited and can't wait to get behind the wheel. What options did you get with yours and is there something you don't have that you wished you had?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had my T for 4 months now. If any prospective US buyers have questions, I’ll answer any I can. My personal reason for buying a T? I fancied a change to my 2016 2.0, liked the T package and due to the better residuals a new T was cheaper than another 2.0. (y)
Sorry OP for the intrusion on your topic but... to neilf, having mine for almost four month also, did you go for the PCM and navi?

·
Registered
85 Posts

I went relatively sparse with my spec. Mainly due to lack of budget! I think the only boxes I ticked we’re black paint, heated seats and cruise control. The other options I would have chosen were all included in the T. Made it a simple decision to go for a T over the base 2.0. I’m really happy with my option choices but an unexpected change in circumstances since I bought it mean I probably would have chosen differently if I was speccing today (My daughter lived a 6hr drive away hence the cruise control - she moved back home this month. I’ve changed location with my job. Although the mileage is the same, my new location means I spend a lot of time in traffic - would probably swap manual for PDK as a result). The only real choice I’m not happy with is the speakers. Thought I could save a few pennies sticking with SPP rather than Bose (I had this on my previous 718). I really miss the Bose. Miles better than SPP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 24589
I went relatively sparse with my spec. Mainly due to lack of budget! I think the only boxes I ticked we’re black paint, heated seats and cruise control. The other options I would have chosen were all included in the T. Made it a simple decision to go for a T over the base 2.0. I’m really happy with my option choices but an unexpected change in circumstances since I bought it mean I probably would have chosen differently if I was speccing today (My daughter lived a 6hr drive away hence the cruise control - she moved back home this month. I’ve changed location with my job. Although the mileage is the same, my new location means I spend a lot of time in traffic - would probably swap manual for PDK as a result). The only real choice I’m not happy with is the speakers. Thought I could save a few pennies sticking with SPP rather than Bose (I had this on my previous 718). I really miss the Bose. Miles better than SPP.
Wow how shiny (y) I had one quite similar for a test day. But decided on the GT silver.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts