Porsche 718 Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
View attachment 24589
I went relatively sparse with my spec. Mainly due to lack of budget! I think the only boxes I ticked we’re black paint, heated seats and cruise control. The other options I would have chosen were all included in the T. Made it a simple decision to go for a T over the base 2.0. I’m really happy with my option choices but an unexpected change in circumstances since I bought it mean I probably would have chosen differently if I was speccing today (My daughter lived a 6hr drive away hence the cruise control - she moved back home this month. I’ve changed location with my job. Although the mileage is the same, my new location means I spend a lot of time in traffic - would probably swap manual for PDK as a result). The only real choice I’m not happy with is the speakers. Thought I could save a few pennies sticking with SPP rather than Bose (I had this on my previous 718). I really miss the Bose. Miles better than SPP.
Your car looks amazing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a fantastic deal on a 5 month old, as new and completely unmarked Guards Red Boxster T last week that has a pretty high spec. I've been looking out for one for a while to replace a 2018 718 Cayman I bought for my other half new last year year. It was a great car and replaced a 981 Boxster S but she missed the lack of being able to drop the roof more than she thought she would. A friend in the motor trade was keen to have the Cayman as it is immaculate and very low miles so I've been keeping an eye open for a suitable Boxster T. I tried to buy a couple of cars from Porsche dealers but they were too inflexible on price and I'm now glad they were as it has saved me a lot of money. The car market is pretty stagnant here at the moment so when this particular car appeared for sale a few weeks back I kept an eye on it. The owner had priced it inline with main dealer used stock and it wasn't selling so I made a much lower bid and it was accepted. I let the Cayman go for less than I'd hoped but was more than happy with the overall cost to change. The Boxster has the full T interior pack in leather with red stitching, PDK, optional Carrera Sport wheels in Titanium grey, LED lights incl PDLS Plus, tinted tail lights, Bose, cruise control, park assist front and rear, two zone auto climate, seat heating, power steering plus and the larger 64 ltr fuel tank. I've not really had a chance to drive it properly as yet but am keen to see how it compares to the Cayman with the SPASM and sport chrono. It joins a 981 Spyder and 991.2 targa 4S in the garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
She's a beauty. Congrats. Can't wait until my Cayman T shows up some time next year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a fantastic deal on a 5 month old, as new and completely unmarked Guards Red Boxster T last week that has a pretty high spec. I've been looking out for one for a while to replace a 2018 718 Cayman I bought for my other half new last year year. It was a great car and replaced a 981 Boxster S but she missed the lack of being able to drop the roof more than she thought she would. A friend in the motor trade was keen to have the Cayman as it is immaculate and very low miles so I've been keeping an eye open for a suitable Boxster T. I tried to buy a couple of cars from Porsche dealers but they were too inflexible on price and I'm now glad they were as it has saved me a lot of money. The car market is pretty stagnant here at the moment so when this particular car appeared for sale a few weeks back I kept an eye on it. The owner had priced it inline with main dealer used stock and it wasn't selling so I made a much lower bid and it was accepted. I let the Cayman go for less than I'd hoped but was more than happy with the overall cost to change. The Boxster has the full T interior pack in leather with red stitching, PDK, optional Carrera Sport wheels in Titanium grey, LED lights incl PDLS Plus, tinted tail lights, Bose, cruise control, park assist front and rear, two zone auto climate, seat heating, power steering plus and the larger 64 ltr fuel tank. I've not really had a chance to drive it properly as yet but am keen to see how it compares to the Cayman with the SPASM and sport chrono. It joins a 981 Spyder and 991.2 targa 4S in the garage.

View attachment 24635

View attachment 24636

View attachment 24637
I really like that interior. Even though I love my current 718 Cayman I will be keeping an eye on the 718 T market here in the US and if I can pick one of those up in a few years for as good a deal as I got on my Cayman I would probably make the switch. There are definitely some things about the "T" models that are very appealing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like that interior. Even though I love my current 718 Cayman I will be keeping an eye on the 718 T market here in the US and if I can pick one of those up in a few years for as good a deal as I got on my Cayman I would probably make the switch. There are definitely some things about the "T" models that are very appealing!
I really liked the Sports Tex fabric in the T models and found a company in Holland who sell the OEM fabric. I had a local trimmer fit it to the seat centres in our previous 718 Cayman and added red seatbelts and the interior dash and centre console trim in Guards red to give the car a unique look.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Nice job. Looks great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
View attachment 24589
I went relatively sparse with my spec. Mainly due to lack of budget! I think the only boxes I ticked we’re black paint, heated seats and cruise control. The other options I would have chosen were all included in the T. Made it a simple decision to go for a T over the base 2.0. I’m really happy with my option choices but an unexpected change in circumstances since I bought it mean I probably would have chosen differently if I was speccing today (My daughter lived a 6hr drive away hence the cruise control - she moved back home this month. I’ve changed location with my job. Although the mileage is the same, my new location means I spend a lot of time in traffic - would probably swap manual for PDK as a result). The only real choice I’m not happy with is the speakers. Thought I could save a few pennies sticking with SPP rather than Bose (I had this on my previous 718). I really miss the Bose. Miles better than SPP.
Wow, that is so shiny! Well done!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The first part below is speculative and based on my day to day work running Bentley's configurator.

I can think of only two reasons why it's not there yet, considering the retailer version is up.

1. US Certification is missing, so from a legal perspective they are not allowed to show this on the public system. I appreciate it's based on an existing engine so it could all be down to paperwork being held back.
2. All too often OEMs have a Retailer Pre-Order window of time allowing them to fill in initial orders before fully releasing it to the public.

With that said, I've had an order for a GTS in place since Sept and my order kept getting pushed back and finally locked in a few days ago. Considering the 718 isn't all that new anymore and it's not like there is a 6 month waiting list, I can only surmise that something is amiss from a production point of view in regards to capacity, parts or certification.

As an aside, when I initially was looking to order a T, I was told that my allocation at that time was for either variant of the 2.0 - Base or T. Clearly the factory doesn't care of trim level as they are the same car but with different levels of standard equipment. The S had it's own dedicated allocation slot as did the GTS. That from that what you will.

P

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Have a service appointment next Tuesday at my local dealer. Plan on asking for an update on when the 2020 Cayman T will be on the retail configurator. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate it! I wasnt really thinking I would order one without the configurator going live...because thats half the fun choosing your options... but I knew what I wanted and knocked it out in 5 minutes. I got a 3% discount which I figured would be about the going rate since its a special order vs buying a vehicle off the dealer's lot. Yes, I may have been able to hit up more dealers to get another point or two... but I also dont have a sports car right now and want to get one ASAP!! Life is too short not enjoy top down motoring!! I figure I wont hear any updated until March/April, but I"m expecting a July delivery too because I dont think my salesrep knew much about the T.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm just curious because I like playing around with the configuration tool. And because I plan on joining the PCA raffle which has a Boxster or Cayman T as one of the possible prizes. It would be good to have my options nailed down before they email me to tell me I won. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
For anyone wanting to know what is on offer, you can just load up the UK configurator. Aside from the US offering a Premium Package which I don't think other countries do, it will at least give you a feel for the interior and exterior colour selections. I've checked out the German version and it matches the UK in regards to that and the normal option offerings across all 718.

Regardless of US/UK/EU - one thing to keep in mind that caught me out. All other 718s offer three optional levels of headlamps but the T only two. It gave me the assumption that the T had as standard the first level of optional lights but this isn't the case. The T only offers the two dark tint versions. When I was going to order the T, I didn't check headlamps due to the above and would have been a mistake, for me at least. Hope that makes sense :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
It does. Thanks for posting,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The Cayman T is now on the US retail configurator but its still not letting you build and price.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
So when I asked the dealer about the Cayman T being on the US website without the ability to build and price I was told that would not happen until the Cayman T is officially announced in the US which could be a late as next Spring. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts