Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what changes people think the next generational update might bring.

Surely a hybrid model of some sort, maybe a modest bump in power?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I doubt we get some kind of hydrid with the next facelift.
I expect that we get the new interior with the digital display like the last Panamera and Cayenne.
Similar changes as the this year coming 992.

I think Porsche will skip hybrid on the 718.
The next complete new modell of the 718 will be full electric and coming around 2023.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt we get some kind of hydrid with the next facelift.
I expect that we get the new interior with the digital display like the last Panamera and Cayenne.
Similar changes as the this year coming 992.

I think Porsche will skip hybrid on the 718.
The next complete new modell of the 718 will be full electric and coming around 2023.
You think they would skip hybrid and go straight to all-electric?

I assume there would be some mid-step, but I suppose at this point it's impossible to predict electrification.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

I'm guessing that Porsche will change every single body panel on the 718 and still 99 out of a 100 people won't be able to see the difference.

·
Registered
866 Posts
While I might find a full digital dash interesting, I'd have to see how it is on the 992 to see if I want it. I still like having some analogue gauges.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
While I might find a full digital dash interesting, I'd have to see how it is on the 992 to see if I want it. I still like having some analogue gauges.
Analogue gauges are by far the best in general. Digital boards are hard to read whereas "position" is easily indicative. I remember when digital caused huge problems in planes.

Many of the "digital" gauges I've seen actually just use a digital means of generating an analogue image!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Porsche seems to be heading in the digital interior way of the Panamera for its entire lineup. We all know it's coming for the upcoming Cayenne and 911's, it's also coming for the Macan in a couple of years. I can't see them keeping the 718 completely analog when the entire brand is going digital. I have no real idea for whats coming for the exterior, but if you look at Porsche's history, I doubt it will be revolutionary. It will likely look like an updated version of our car on the outside. I've seen some people comment here that they will do away with the 718 altogether. I believe that's extremely unlikely. They will always need an entry level sports car to their 911 brand. I see Porsche adding new cars/trucks, not taking them away...

Reactions: 718-Mark

·
Registered
104 Posts
2019 or 2020 we will see a refresh.
The 718 platform dont allow a plugin hybrid that can use the front achsle and in the back is no space. So the next all new 718 will be fully electric.
What I expect for the refresh is 48V internal system and a additional high voltage batterie for e-turbo or something similar, but no e-drivetrain.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I can see possibly a fully electric option, but also ICE options. My thought is that a lot of people take their 718s to the track, and right now tracks don't have the infrastructure to support electric vehicles. So until that happens you would still need an ICE option in the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
One of my expectations is that when the 2020 vehicles arrive I will have had 3 years of great driving in my 2017 Boxster.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't 718 just come out two years ago? Are.we talking about.a refresh in 2020 or a redesign? Is this a rumour or definite plan?
THe 718 seems to be following the development cycle of the 981 from 2012-2016, if that continued the 718 would get a total redesign in 2020.

First the base and S models launch, then two years later the GTS, the year after that is the Spyder/GT4 which are the final versions of that generational model.

4 years does seem like a very short lifecycle for a car, but like I said based on the 981 it seems strongly there will be a big change to the base cars in 2 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anything putting electric chargers at a track is trivial. If you think about it, having an electric car charger system on roads is a huge endeavor (look at Tesla's charger system, they have thousands of locations), but there are few tracks where lots of new porsches drive. They could get away with 20 fast charging stations at tracks around the US, that's a non-problem.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Maybe Porsche will finally make a street version of their highly successful, mid-engine 911 RSR LeMans racer.

And maybe with a nice, fuel efficient four-cylinder Turbo engine.

Oh wait!........;)

Reactions: ldamelio

·
Registered
716 Posts
If anything putting electric chargers at a track is trivial. If you think about it, having an electric car charger system on roads is a huge endeavor (look at Tesla's charger system, they have thousands of locations), but there are few tracks where lots of new porsches drive. They could get away with 20 fast charging stations at tracks around the US, that's a non-problem.
I don't think it is that easy. Who would pay the them to be installed? Where would the electricity come from? I also think you'd need around 30-40 especially at some of the larger tracks. I think if electric cars really take off, then it will happen. But not in the next 10 years. So 2020 718s will still be ICE in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2020 ICE I agree with. I do think however that installing chargers at the track would be very easy, it's been easy for Tesla with their supercharger network, it's been done throughout the US by ChargePoint & co. The electricity comes from the grid under the track (most tracks have lights :D ), you need 5-10 to begin with (same number as the number of slots in superchargers), and it's paid by the car companies or by electrical grid companies that make money off the % they charge you for the electricity. It really isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I know Lime Rock has a bunch of EV chargers....I've seen them.

NJ Motorsports Park may have them too.....they do part of the E-Moto-GP bike racing series there.

Summit Point does not have them, but I just texted one of the guys who's down there and he says they are talking about it.

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 was Refresh!

Didn't 718 just come out two years ago? Are.we talking about.a refresh in 2020 or a redesign? Is this a rumour or definite plan?
Porsche cycle: New Model - Refresh - New Model, etc.

Cayman was All New in 2014, Refresh in 2017, the next change will be an All New model (most likely 2020)

·
Registered
179 Posts
If Porsche were to make the new "718" all electric there's not much point in making it on the 718 platform. They'd probably just make an entry-level sports car on the Mission-E platform. The only reason for the 718 having its own dedicated platform is because it's mid-engined and all electric would no longer be mid-engined - the engine is located on the axle it drives so they can all be built on the same platform.

They could make it a hybrid (like a BMW i8) but then the cost would raise it out of the entry-level bracket - and it would be heavier than a 911.

I'd guess they'll do what someone has already said - change almost every panel and end up with a car that looks just about the same, just a bit worse.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts