Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I haven’t liked the Vette since the late 60s/early 70s. Yeah, I drove some later iterations and they were fast/quick but there was always something missing. Cheap feeling interiors or the handling wasn’t exceptionally balanced. None ever felt or looked great to me or had it all together at once. The 718 is “the package”. Performance, handling, looks, Porsche heritage....fun! For those concerned with depreciation, they must be concerned with selling it. If you’re not worried about selling it then depreciation is not a concern.

·
Registered
166 Posts

SavageGeese does around 10 minutes about two thirds through discussing his take on the C8. Basically he says he'll avoid it and has zero faith in GM to deliver a reliable mid-engined sports car at their $60k base price.

That's been my initial concern also. I think there is a lot of anecdotal and objective information about GM, the past Corvette cars and the pre-production C8 to be apprehensive about the C8 going forward.
I take what that guy says with a grain of salt. He almost hates every car he reviews and pontificates as if he is all knowing for way too long in his videos. I unsubscribed from him a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I take what that guy says with a grain of salt. He almost hates every car he reviews and pontificates as if he is all knowing for way too long in his videos. I unsubscribed from him a long time ago.
On the other extreme there are YouTubers that love every car they drive.........hard to really get at the truth. I feel there are far too many acolytes and shills in the game. I know one thing it would take a pretty courageous person to pre-order a C8 without any serious testing.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
<snip>I know one thing it would take a pretty courageous person to pre-order a C8 without any serious testing.
Ha!--Not really.
There will be some who will order it immediately just to have another garage queen, some who fall hard for the design, some who believe the advertising, and some who want the cachet.
Enthusiast drivers have always been a minority.😟

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Ha!--Not really.
There will be some who will order it immediately just to have another garage queen, some who fall hard for the design, some who believe the advertising, and some who want the cachet.
There is merit in what you say but I guess then I am not a bonafide enthusiast.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ha!--Not really.
And some will be first in line to make money off YouTube revenue.

I agree with the previous statements about the journalistic shills.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
And some will be first in line to make money off YouTube revenue.

I agree with the previous statements about the journalistic shills.
Case in point, I posted an honest comment/review on a youtube video about the 992 Porsche, and when I checked the webpage it appears the comment was accepted and published until I signed out and and check on the comment and low and behold only to see my comment has been shadow banned. I guess what this YouTuber is diligently doing is scanning the reviews to assure they only publish favorable reviews of the 992 Porsche.
Some of these YouTubers come across as pretty cool but some have sold their souls to the devil. El greedo strikes again……

·
Registered
348 Posts
Case in point, I posted an honest comment/review on a youtube video about the 992 Porsche, and when I checked the webpage it appears the comment was accepted and published until I signed out and and check on the comment and low and behold only to see my comment has been shadow banned. I guess what this YouTuber is diligently doing is scanning the reviews to assure they only publish favorable reviews of the 992 Porsche.
Some of these YouTubers come across as pretty cool but some have sold their souls to the devil. El greedo strikes again……
On the plus side I have found SavageGeese and Alex On Autos to be more objective than most. The majority of the rest are hacks in my opinion.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This is a big problem in today's society with the available technology we have. Doesn't matter whether it's politics, car reviews, restaurant reviews, food, music, etc., censorship is a bad thing, in my humble personal opinion. Long live freedom of speech. 😇

·
Registered
293 Posts
At < $60k to start for the claimed performance, the Corvette sounds like a winner, but I would buy another 718 today without hesitation. I find the performance of my Cayman S far exceeds what's permitted on public roads. I love the compact exterior dimensions, and the nimble driving characteristics of the 718.

The exterior of the Corvette always seemed excessive relative to the interior space.

·
Registered
348 Posts
At < $60k to start for the claimed performance, the Corvette sounds like a winner, but I would buy another 718 today without hesitation. I find the performance of my Cayman S far exceeds what's permitted on public roads. I love the compact exterior dimensions, and the nimble driving characteristics of the 718.

The exterior of the Corvette always seemed excessive relative to the interior space.
In my opinion GM hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt in terms of build quality. I would definitely wait a couple of years before I took the leap. I've owned two Corvettes and a Camaro and they were pretty much junk. GM doesn't deserve a break here with the C8.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
In my opinion GM hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt in terms of build quality. I would definitely wait a couple of years before I took the leap. I've owned two Corvettes and a Camaro and they were pretty much junk. GM doesn't deserve a break here with the C8.
Interesting, personally I have never owned a GM vehicle or any American brand. I had a friend who said he was going to buy an American made car (new) and he spent every other week trying to work out the legion of problems that came with those patriotic good intentions. I bought a Honda Accord and I couldn't kill that car........
"Build it (right) and they will come"........

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting, personally I have never owned a GM vehicle or any American brand. I had a friend who said he was going to buy an American made car (new) and he spent every other week trying to work out the legion of problems that came with those patriotic good intentions. I bought a Honda Accord and I couldn't kill that car........
"Build it (right) and they will come"........
I had two Hondas before. An Accord and a Civic Coupe in the 90s. I liked the Accord well enough, but I loved that Civic. Of the dozens of cars I've owned in my life, the Civic was one of my favorites. Both of those Hondas never gave me any problems. The Civic Coupe was just an outright hoot to drive. If the current Type R didn't look so ridiculous I'd love to have one. I'd probably pick the Type R over the new C8 Corvette. I'd bet good money the Honda will be leaps better in build quality and reliability. And one **** of a ride.

·
Registered
166 Posts
On the other extreme there are YouTubers that love every car they drive.........hard to really get at the truth. I feel there are far too many acolytes and shills in the game. I know one thing it would take a pretty courageous person to pre-order a C8 without any serious testing.
I put down a refundable deposit but am pretty far down on the list. I plan to at least check one out before fully committing but didn’t want to lose my slot. I did the same thing with the BMW M2 but in the end it wasn’t as compelling an upgrade over my Dinan tuned 135is.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I put down a refundable deposit but am pretty far down on the list. I plan to at least check one out before fully committing but didn’t want to lose my slot. I did the same thing with the BMW M2 but in the end it wasn’t as compelling an upgrade over my Dinan tuned 135is.
It is tempting, as I have said before, it's a long awaited and badly needed redesign. Though, my friend, good luck either way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had two Hondas before. An Accord and a Civic Coupe in the 90s. I liked the Accord well enough, but I loved that Civic. Of the dozens of cars I've owned in my life, the Civic was one of my favorites. Both of those Hondas never gave me any problems. The Civic Coupe was just an outright hoot to drive. If the current Type R didn't look so ridiculous I'd love to have one. I'd probably pick the Type R over the new C8 Corvette. I'd bet good money the Honda will be leaps better in build quality and reliability. And one **** of a ride.
+1 on the Civic Coupe. I had a 99 Civic Si mt. The VTEC was like a turbo. It would rev to the moon. It definitely was a blast to drive. Nothing like the Cayman but fun nonetheless.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts