Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don’t know how the jap brands are perceived in other parts of the world but Toyota or any other jap brand apart from maybe a Lexus is not used in the same conversation as the euro brands with Porsche viewed differently again to MB, BMW, Audi etc

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don’t know how the jap brands are perceived in other parts of the world but Toyota or any other jap brand apart from maybe a Lexus is not used in the same conversation as the euro brands with Porsche viewed differently again to MB, BMW, Audi etc
That was 20 years ago how we looked at it in the (European) car industy, if you look into JD power results, Toyota is amongst the premium brands like BMW, AUDI. In the car industry most of the production processes for quality/analasis were developped by Toyota.
For reliability the Japanese/Asian are amongst the best.
Porsche is in the sports car segment so you can't compare them to be honest.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That was 20 years ago how we looked at it in the (European) car industy, if you look into JD power results, Toyota is amongst the premium brands like BMW, AUDI. In the car industry most of the production processes for quality/analasis were developped by Toyota.
For reliability the Japanese/Asian are amongst the best.
Porsche is in the sports car segment so you can't compare them to be honest.
I own a Toyota Landcruiser and had several other Toyota’s. In Australia Toyota has been the top selling vehicle for about the last 10 years but they are not considered a prestige brand like the the big Euro products

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, the Supra is a 2 seat sports car. So, it's a competitor to the little Porsche. The real question is, how does it drive compared to the Porsche?

My guess is reviewers will say, it sounds better than the 718 but it misses out on the excellent handling characteristics the mid-engine 718 brings to the table. Also, I doubt anything compares to the overall ride quality of the 718. I drove to work today with mine and am still impressed with how it handles bumps.

Would I have considered it? Likely. Though, I'm with most on this page so far in regards to the over-styling of the car (especially with all of the fake vents. I loathe fake vents).

·
Registered
326 Posts
I own a Toyota Landcruiser and had several other Toyota’s. In Australia Toyota has been the top selling vehicle for about the last 10 years but they are not considered a prestige brand like the the big Euro products
I understand that it is considerd a non prestige brand in Australia ;) BMW,AUDI,MB have become mainstream cars here in Belgium. They need to wear an 'M'/'AMG'/'RS' badge to be considered a prestige car in the public opinion. It's more likely they get that status in country's that need to import those cars. Same way around with Asian cars here in Europe. A landcruiser here is considered premium (not prestige), because of the build quality, materials used and so on. When I was deciding what to get I was looking for an M3, my wife disagreed because every 'foreigner' has one (not meant racist) but it shows the public view on BMW over here :eek::crying:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I havent been Reading all that has been said in this thread, but the first thing that pops up in my mind is that its based of BMW.
In that way they got alot of rules to follow, give that car 400bhp then its a Winner!
Now it does nothing for me.....

*spelling*

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
I havent been all that has been said in this thread, but the first thing that pops up in my mind is that its based of BMW.
In that way they got alot of rules to follow, give that car 400bhp then its a Winner!
Now it does nothing for me.....
It already has 335. The B58 I-6 Bimmer mill is less 'tuneable' so far than the N55 it replaced ... but it's still fairly easy to get to 400 on it.

Here's the thing: Tetsuya Tada, the Supra's Chief Engineer, has stated continuously that the Supra would be designed with aftermarket accessibility and tune-ability in mind. This quote about the fake vents by FT-1/Supra lead designer Nobuo Nakamura speaks to that:

<<On the technical side, we did some tests with them open and without. Many things. But for the production model, it turned out that closed is better, but it’s been incorporated in so that later on, let’s say if you wanted to add cooling ducts or for racing purposes, that option is available and it’s already incorporated into the design.>>

So there's that. As for aftermarket BMW internals: That will be a very interesting thing to watch. I've got to think that Toyota will market BMW M Performance this and that as warranty-preserving Gazoo/GR add-ons at dealers. Beyond that, it would stand to reason that it'll be up to places that specialize in BMW go-fast internal bits -- Dinan, APR, etc. -- but the usual Toyota outlets will develop body pieces, aero, etc. But I could be wrong ... and, honestly, probably will be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Imho the only Japanese make that’s true serious sports car calibre is the Nissan GT-R. Toyota and Mazda have great, fun, sporty cars but not quite in the same league all things considered ... even if Supra seemed to be an iconic model from the past.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll pass. The new Supra is way too over-styled for me. Besides, if I wanted a BMW coupe (which it really is), I would look to the M2 as a more compelling option.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Imho the only Japanese make that’s true serious sports car calibre is the Nissan GT-R. Toyota and Mazda have great, fun, sporty cars but not quite in the same league all things considered ... even if Supra seemed to be an iconic model from the past.

You must have missed the Mazda MX-5/Miata, although low on power it makes up for it in handling and it is a great little sports car with a huge potential.
I have had a 2017 MX-5 1.5 that I have sold after ordering the 718 Boxster that I am currently waiting for delivery on and I must say it was a great little sports car despite of only having 131 hp.
But the fact that it is low power means you can use the full potential of the engine without a huge risk for life and limb, and that makes it fun to drive.
This was also the reason I chose a base Boxster, as I don't think I could ever safely use the extra power in the S or GTS on the street.
And coming straight from an MX-5 to test drive a 718, the Porsche just seems huge compared.
After looking through the numbers I can see that the Porsche is also quite a bit larger and heavier, but it of course also makes up for it in power and other ways.
So if I was that happy with my MX-5 why did I order a 718?
Well the MX-5 is not perfect, comfort, practicality and especially quality is much better in the 718, and as I drove my MX-5 every day in the summer and intend to do the same with my 718 those things matter.
The MX-5 looks good and drives good, but the quality and feel of especially the interior could be a lot better, and there were also some small quality issues with the MX-5 which bothered me on a daily basis, those things are of course to be expected at the price point of the MX-5, but it did open my eyes to roadster motoring, which lead me to order the 718.
One of the most important reasons I chose to replace my MX-5 with a 718 Boxster is of course that I have always wanted a Porsche.

As for the new Supra, I think it is kind of meh... I am sure it will be good to drive, but it could have been so much more if only they have made the design bigger and bolder like the FT1 concept, then it would have been a winner.
The production version they ended up with to me looks like a beefed up GT86, which is a shame in my opinion.
Maybe they would have been better of forming a partnership with Porsche instead of BMW and focusing on a new MR2 based on the 718 Boxster, now that would have been cool :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can't watch Shmee videos at all. Hes so goddamn annoying. He gets amazing cars to review and screws it up.

Majorly disappointed with the Supra. If Toyota relaunched the Supra with the FT1, then wow, but it looks a complete mess imo. I actually liked the GT86 when that was released and that kinda gave hope the Supra would follow suit, but No! Such a shame, grew up loving the Supras. Overstyled to death.

But then again, I didn't like the 718 styling when that came out, but when saw it in person that all changed!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts