Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster Order Placed ETA August 2021 (DD)
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hope you’re all well!

As we are about to hear regarding build slots in the next couple of weeks, my wife and I were just wondering how reliable the convertible top would be in the Boxster compared to the physical roof in the Cayman. This will be our only car for at least the next 2 to 3 years before we get another bigger vehicle. As such, we do want to maximise the life of the vehicle and keep it for at least six or seven years before we think of trading it in for possibly a 911, so resale would be important important aspect, although we would probably add somewhere between 75,000 and 150,000 miles on it.

We really want to experience the Boxster with the convertible aspect it offers, but we might switch to a Cayman if needed, though preparing mentally in advance would be ideal. This concern it’s because we have never owned a sports car, and never a convertible car, and the same goes for our extended family in friends, therefore this is the best place to ask and thank you for your input!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Understand your concern since I just got a boxster 1s time. Can the roof operates well for 5 years ? I tested some older boxsters and no problems, not even los of colour. I would go for the boxster with no worries.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hello everyone, hope you’re all well!

As we are about to hear regarding build slots in the next couple of weeks, my wife and I were just wondering how reliable the convertible top would be in the Boxster compared to the physical roof in the Cayman. This will be our only car for at least the next 2 to 3 years before we get another bigger vehicle. As such, we do want to maximise the life of the vehicle and keep it for at least six or seven years before we think of trading it in for possibly a 911, so resale would be important important aspect, although we would probably add somewhere between 75,000 and 150,000 miles on it.

We really want to experience the Boxster with the convertible aspect it offers, but we might switch to a Cayman if needed, though preparing mentally in advance would be ideal. This concern it’s because we have never owned a sports car, and never a convertible car, and the same goes for our extended family in friends, therefore this is the best place to ask and thank you for your input!
I have enjoyed both convertible and hard top. Last year I purchase the hardtop because it's more solid and secure. There is more insulated and quieter on the go with a hard top. Soft tops are more complicated to maintain, requiring special waterproofing formulas and harmful contaminants such as bird poop must be cleaned ASAP. I also had some damage done to my soft top with a knife parking Porsche Boxster outside a shopping center. With a soft-top, you'll get more room when the top is down and it offers decent weight savings when compared to the much heftier hardtops. Its a decision you have to make and you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone! This is really helpful!

@Malcolm E Cay, I’m glad to see you’ve on so many and hope and pray you on many more! Thank you for sharing that there are generally no issues.

@mitsuba congratulations on your Boxster! I will upload pictures of ours when we get it, though I do want to ask How your experience has been in terms of the nonmaterial, people facing aspect. I’m sure going to the grocery store would be the same as usual, and it is a funny thought, but do you park for intake other precautions in general like with what @Porsche Wolfe said about the knife issue? @Porsche Wolfe, were there any valuables in your Boxster which led to the knife issue or was it just in general? That is scary though!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've owned 4 soft tops. Mazda, BMW and Porsche. Never had any issues or fading. Just maintain it properly. Clean it and use products like RaggTop's product lineup. Don't let contaminates sit on it for days or weeks.
I do get the security concerns. For me, they've always been fun/weekend cars that have been always been parked in my secure garage. I don't know how I would feel about owning a soft top when it's parked outside and in public.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've owned 4 soft tops. Mazda, BMW and Porsche. Never had any issues or fading. Just maintain it properly. Clean it and use products like RaggTop's product lineup. Don't let contaminates sit on it for days or weeks.
I do get the security concerns. For me, they've always been fun/weekend cars that have been always been parked in my secure garage. I don't know how I would feel about owning a soft top when it's parked outside and in public.
Thank you and exactly! Since we’ll be living in an apartment (and get a garage) it’ll be fine, but when going to class or something is the main concern.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank you everyone! This is really helpful!

@Malcolm E Cay, I’m glad to see you’ve on so many and hope and pray you on many more! Thank you for sharing that there are generally no issues.

@mitsuba congratulations on your Boxster! I will upload pictures of ours when we get it, though I do want to ask How your experience has been in terms of the nonmaterial, people facing aspect. I’m sure going to the grocery store would be the same as usual, and it is a funny thought, but do you park for intake other precautions in general like with what @Porsche Wolfe said about the knife issue? @Porsche Wolfe, were there any valuables in your Boxster which led to the knife issue or was it just in general? That is scary though!
The knife issue was a small 1/4" slice on the drivers side front top. I had it stitched back together at a upholstery shop. It can happen but I would not worry about it just enjoy the convertible ride like I did for a while. Even with my 718 Cayman hardtop I park in a lighted area away from other cars because some people are jealous and despiteful. I may have to walk a little distance to reach the store but that's ok when I know my Porsche will not get dinged by a door.

·
Registered
886 Posts
718 Boxster tops are nothing short of amazing. They aren't hard tops, but they do function very quickly, are whisper quiet (compared to all of my past ragtops...too many to count), and they seal out wind and weather incredibly well.

I recommend using 303 Fabric Guard after a proper cleaning (brushed on, rather than sprayed). 303 blocks harmful UV light (which I've been told is our top's greatest enemy) and should keep most daily driver's tops shiny and water repellent (after a proper cleaning) for at least 6 to 12 months...up to 3+ years for some garage queens (not that there's anything wrong with that). I have no affiliation with 303 (past, present, or future) other than being a very satisfied customer.

Reactions: Mraza4442

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2017 Boxster and just love the convertible. Should not be a problem if you are going to garage the car.

I have not had any issues with the convertible. you would enjoy it on a nice sunny day. I know if do.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
As Treemagnet says about periodic Fabric Guard and the preparatory wash.

Yes, it's bit of a hassle but driving with the top down and the fact that you only rinse the top every once and a while rather than every car wash more than makes up for it.

I just did the 303 wash and guard on my 2017 (now 3.5 years old) and the top looks almost like new.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Porsche Wolfe thanks for the tip, time to walk more I guess 😁 but well worth it I say!

@Treemagnet and @GregW thank you for the advice about the 303 and the frequency, and since this will be our only vehicle, I’m guessing the 3-6 month time frame is ideal.

@geemman thanks as well, glad you’re loving your Boxster! Here’s to hoping we get a build slot in the next week!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You would never go wrong with the Boxster!

View attachment 30212 U View attachment 30213
So true! It is our first DREAM CAR, so we’re really excited and praying all goes well. Will probably get emotional when we see it though, haha! Your Boxster is beautiful, and nice to see that you have The same colour for the seats as we do!

Just curious, did anyone get the espresso/cognac colour combo? The dealer we went to didn’t have that combination in their samples or any espresso colour, but it looks amazing in the pictures on the build website.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with others, I wouldn't worry about the top. I think the only thing that would make me nervous would be parking outside overnight, but it sounds like you'll have a garage. One thing that makes me feel better are the third party replacement top options for older generations. They are very reasonably priced, so I figure worst case if I keep mine forever and it costs me a couple thousand dollars down the road it is still worth it. With proper care I doubt it would come to that, though. It helps that the window is glass vs plastic.

I had espresso/cognac on the 911 I traded for my Boxster. I loved it. My kids thought it looked too "old man" but they wouldn't get anything but black so I don't put too much weight on their opinions. They would have liked black/luxor more. I think another great option is all espresso with extended deviated stitching, which I seriously considered doing on the Boxster.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with others, I wouldn't worry about the top. I think the only thing that would make me nervous would be parking outside overnight, but it sounds like you'll have a garage. One thing that makes me feel better are the third party replacement top options for older generations. They are very reasonably priced, so I figure worst case if I keep mine forever and it costs me a couple thousand dollars down the road it is still worth it. With proper care I doubt it would come to that, though. It helps that the window is glass vs plastic.

I had espresso/cognac on the 911 I traded for my Boxster. I loved it. My kids thought it looked too "old man" but they wouldn't get anything but black so I don't put too much weight on their opinions. They would have liked black/luxor more. I think another great option is all espresso with extended deviated stitching, which I seriously considered doing on the Boxster.
Thank you! I agree with the all espresso option, but I don’t think they offer that on the Boxster, though definitely on the 911. We will keep it garaged, but we’re just concerned about leaving it out when travelling. There is a channel on YouTube ‘mechonomist’ that discusses how life is with a cayman, though his is an ‘07 if I’m not mistaken. Anyway, this is why I appreciate and respect this forum as everyone is really helpful and prompt!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have enjoyed both convertible and hard top. Last year I purchase the hardtop because it's more solid and secure. There is more insulated and quieter on the go with a hard top. Soft tops are more complicated to maintain, requiring special waterproofing formulas and harmful contaminants such as bird poop must be cleaned ASAP. I also had some damage done to my soft top with a knife parking Porsche Boxster outside a shopping center. With a soft-top, you'll get more room when the top is down and it offers decent weight savings when compared to the much heftier hardtops. Its a decision you have to make and you can't go wrong with either one.
Well.........

My 986 from 2000 have only seen waterproofing twice, i stopped using it cause it did not make any difference caus it does not leak or mold.
I had it outside for 9 years straight without any issues.
Bird poop aint as hard on the top as one might think and it easiest to clean when it has dried out.

Compared to the 718 it has faded in color but has the same amount of folding marks.
And for every fitfh cleaning of the car the top has got a quick clean and once a year a deeper cleaning with a soft brush.
Rails and joints has to be taken care of wich looks a bit harder on the 718.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
So true! It is our first DREAM CAR, so we’re really excited and praying all goes well. Will probably get emotional when we see it though, haha! Your Boxster is beautiful, and nice to see that you have The same colour for the seats as we do!

Just curious, did anyone get the espresso/cognac colour combo? The dealer we went to didn’t have that combination in their samples or any espresso colour, but it looks amazing in the pictures on the build website.
My first 718 BS was in agate gray with brown top an espresso interior.
The interior was a bit darker then on the pics, and it changed color tone depending on the time of day.
And smelled Wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
303ing the top every 3-6 months would IMO be way over the top. It's been 2 years since the first treatment and aside from a brush every 6 months or so with a horse-hair brush (recommended) I've done nothing else to it, not even rinsed it off. We don't get much rain here, less than 30 inches a year.
My Boxster sits under cover but isn't enclosed and since the zombie infestation I haven't gone for extended trips but I reckon once a year would be lots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had 7 convertibles, first was an MGA, then Austin Healy 3000, two ETypes, MX5 and two Boxsters. Current is 2019 S. Never had an issue with the tops. Top down 39 degrees street driving, 62 degrees expressway. Oh, I do recommend heated seats and steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts