Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to 718 Forum. Had a 2017 Boxster, 2019 911S Cab, 2020 Macan S, now, since March a 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0. Awesome car. Most enjoyable of my Porsches! BUT….!!!…I’m troubled by a “tinny, metallic, tapping sound” on engine start up (really noticeable), subsides quite a bit at normal idle but STILL there! I notice it when driving, too, at low speeds, before loud normal exhaust sound drowns it out. Particularly noticeable echoing off building, shrubbery hedges etc., at lower speed. Porsche dealer unsure if it’s normal and has no exact same car to compare it to. Absolutely zero 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 in Massachusetts area dealers!
Has anyone noticed this odd & troubling “tinny, metallic, tap..tap..tap.. sound” in.GTS 4.0? I told dealer I could not imagine Porsche designers would let this be an acceptable engine noise in a new model, produced especially to bring back the ”throaty, guttural” old school sound of a naturally aspirated Porsche engine?.. Please let me know if anyone has experienced it…or…NOT…which is what I suspect. Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I asked this same question a couple wks ago! I even made a sound recording and sent it to my SA. He made a similar recording with a car in the service bay to prove it's normal. It's coming from the direct injection. It sucks 'cause it sounds like something's wrong with it.

·
Registered
Porsche 991.2 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
11 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but if it is normal, so be it. Different things take a little while to get used to. I see your in MA, same here, but up in Sudbury. Just placed an order for a 718 Spyder yesterday, so hoping the DI sound is not too bothersome, but suspect it sounds similar to my last Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked this same question a couple wks ago! I even made a sound recording and sent it to my SA. He made a similar recording with a car in the service bay to prove it's normal. It's coming from the direct injection. It sucks 'cause it sounds like something's wrong with it.
Wow! Thanks! In a way I couldn’t imagine that there was a problem with a brand new Porsche, but it sounds so “wrong” that I also can’t imagine they’d allow a design like that. It sound lousy. When I start it at my Porsche group…instead of saying wow, nice sound…they say WTF is that….???
I took a video recording of mine. If you care to hear it, I can attach it.
id like to hear yours, too.

·
Registered
Porsche 991.2 Carrera 4S Cabriolet
11 Posts
Wow! Thanks! In a way I couldn’t imagine that there was a problem with a brand new Porsche, but it sounds so “wrong” that I also can’t imagine they’d allow a design like that. It sound lousy. When I start it at my Porsche group…instead of saying wow, nice sound…they say WTF is that….???
Sure, share a link to the video. Would love to hear it. I actually sold my Giulia Quadrifoglio last May. Had it for over 3.5 years. It was an a absolutely amazing car and shockingly, was the most trouble-free car I’ve ever owned, which was a very pleasant surprise given Alfa’s old reputation. The day I sold it though, I bought a 2017 991.2 C4S Cab, so I don’t have any videos of the Alfa’s cold idle sound.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Below is link to video of my 2021 Boxster GTS “weird sound”
Tell me what you think. Thank you!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Below is link to video of my 2021 Boxster GTS “weird sound”
Tell me what you think. Thank you!
Yep, that's the Direct Injection you're hearing. Same as mine. I tried to upload to my iCloud, but it failed. I think it's Porsche's way of hinting "Go Electric". Of course, I never will. Maybe Hybrid some day, but all electric, NEVER!

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that's the Direct Injection you're hearing. Same as mine. I tried to upload to my iCloud, but it failed. I think it's Porsche's way of hinting "Go Electric". Of course, I never will. Maybe Hybrid some day, but all electric, NEVER!
I’m soooo sorry to bug everyone again! I’m new to forum and not good with iPad/Cloud, etc. I am not sure my video was able to be heard by other forum members. Can you guys confirm that you actually “heard and saw” my video of the annoying “metallic, tinny tap, tap, tap sound” on my 2021 Box GTS 4.0…?
Thanks very much. Huge importance to me, obviously. I don’t want to forget about it and live with it unless I’m 200% certain it’s normal and ALL other 2021 GTS 4.0 engines are making it. Please confirm hearing/seeing my video. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I was at a C&C yesterday morning. There were four GT4s parked together - three 2020 and one that was delivered the day prior, a 2021. Rain was threatening so everyone was behind the wheel and heading home. All four made the same metallic noise after a cold startup. I thought it was unusual, but I guess it's inherent. You're probably GTG!

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot for your input! I sincerely appreciate it.
if you see the GT4’s or GTS 4.0’s at another C & C, I’d really appreciate your listening again and possibly asking the drivers what they think about the awful, metallic tapping sound. I’d really enjoy getting more feedback from people who have heard the sound. If I have to live with it I will. But I’d be really mind blown if my brand new car was the only one making the noise and my dealer is clueless, at this point. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The bright side is that metallic tapping is the sound of technology advancing. Cheers and enjoy your new high tech machine to the max…I know I will (once she arrives).

·
Registered
765 Posts
Like it has been said previously it's normal. My Spyder fuel injectors are noisy like that too. Doesn't bother me one bit.
If a Porsche doesn't make a strange noise it's probably broken. Enjoy the car. (y)

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder
41 Posts
Hi, I’m new to 718 Forum. Had a 2017 Boxster, 2019 911S Cab, 2020 Macan S, now, since March a 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0. Awesome car. Most enjoyable of my Porsches! BUT….!!!…I’m troubled by a “tinny, metallic, tapping sound” on engine start up (really noticeable), subsides quite a bit at normal idle but STILL there! I notice it when driving, too, at low speeds, before loud normal exhaust sound drowns it out. Particularly noticeable echoing off building, shrubbery hedges etc., at lower speed. Porsche dealer unsure if it’s normal and has no exact same car to compare it to. Absolutely zero 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 in Massachusetts area dealers!
Has anyone noticed this odd & troubling “tinny, metallic, tap..tap..tap.. sound” in.GTS 4.0? I told dealer I could not imagine Porsche designers would let this be an acceptable engine noise in a new model, produced especially to bring back the ”throaty, guttural” old school sound of a naturally aspirated Porsche engine?.. Please let me know if anyone has experienced it…or…NOT…which is what I suspect. Thanks.

It is the high pressure injectors and absolutely normal for this particular year and engine .

·
Registered
6 Posts
2021 GTS 4.0 Cayman Manual here. Yup, same noise. I took it to the dealer to have it looked at for that shortly after taking delivery, and was told everything was functioning fine and that the sound was "normal".

I rented a 2020 GT4 Manual on Turo, that had the same noise, perhaps not quite as loud as mine.

I don't care for the noise, but everything else about the car is so darn glorious that I am learning to live with it. :)

I also rented a 2020 911 992 C2 Coupe (also on Turo) - that had a similar noise, just not as loud. (With regards to "not as loud" - perhaps because no engine vents on a 911 Base Carrera like the Cayman has?) Makes sense, that engine is the basis for ours...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You know, I believe you might be hearing injector noise. At least, that's the impression I'm getting from somewhere. Can't quite put my finger on where I got that idea though. Maybe from BikeForums.net. No, that's not it. Gimme a minute, it will come to me...

Actually it's only disturbing if you are of the old school and think it sounds like a loose valve. Otherwise you learn to ignore it, then you stop hearing it except fight after startup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree with others it's direction injection noise. I have heard that Porsche enhances this sound electronically, wondering if there is any way to disable it.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts