Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is the best place to start (Viffermike's Super-duper Soundaktor Disconnection Guide). You may also search for "Soundaktor," as there are a slew of other threads addressing the issue.
I may be wrong, but I cannot believe Porsche is enhancing this sound! First off, I am hearing it from its source…in the engine…not from the exhaust, or speakers or anything else! Second, it’s a terrible sound! Third, my dealer had no idea what it was. If it was a purposefully, electronically enhanced sound, I’m sure they would have known about it. If you are certain about what you’re saying please let me know. But, frankly, I cannot believe it, especially considering it’s a terribly annoying terrible sound. Why would they enhance it? Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder
41 Posts
Hi, I’m new to 718 Forum. Had a 2017 Boxster, 2019 911S Cab, 2020 Macan S, now, since March a 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0. Awesome car. Most enjoyable of my Porsches! BUT….!!!…I’m troubled by a “tinny, metallic, tapping sound” on engine start up (really noticeable), subsides quite a bit at normal idle but STILL there! I notice it when driving, too, at low speeds, before loud normal exhaust sound drowns it out. Particularly noticeable echoing off building, shrubbery hedges etc., at lower speed. Porsche dealer unsure if it’s normal and has no exact same car to compare it to. Absolutely zero 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 in Massachusetts area dealers!
Has anyone noticed this odd & troubling “tinny, metallic, tap..tap..tap.. sound” in.GTS 4.0? I told dealer I could not imagine Porsche designers would let this be an acceptable engine noise in a new model, produced especially to bring back the ”throaty, guttural” old school sound of a naturally aspirated Porsche engine?.. Please let me know if anyone has experienced it…or…NOT…which is what I suspect. Thanks.
I may be wrong, but I cannot believe Porsche is enhancing this sound! First off, I am hearing it from its source…in the engine…not from the exhaust, or speakers or anything else! Second, it’s a terrible sound! Third, my dealer had no idea what it was. If it was a purposefully, electronically enhanced sound, I’m sure they would have known about it. If you are certain about what you’re saying please let me know. But, frankly, I cannot believe it, especially considering it’s a terribly annoying terrible sound. Why would they enhance it? Thank you.
I doubt you are correct. There is an enhancement process to provide the sounds to the cabin. Maybe this is not the proper Porsche for you?

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I doubt you are correct. There is an enhancement process to provide the sounds to the cabin. Maybe this is not the proper Porsche for you?
The sound we / I am talking about is heard with the top down. It is not heard in the cabin. It is exterior. It echoes and bounces off building, hedges, shrubbery, etc. Earlier in this thread, or another one, someone said it was the tapping/clicking of the direct injectors. He even posted a video of a lab bench test of the injector unit. It was dead nuts, the sound I hear. I’d be utterly stunned to learn its electronically enhanced by design. No way it could be. Everyone with a GTS 4.0 hates the sound.

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder
41 Posts
The sound we / I am talking about is heard with the top down. It is not heard in the cabin. It is exterior. It echoes and bounces off building, hedges, shrubbery, etc. Earlier in this thread, or another one, someone said it was the tapping/clicking of the direct injectors. He even posted a video of a lab bench test of the injector unit. It was dead nuts, the sound I hear. I’d be utterly stunned to learn its electronically enhanced by design. No way it could be. Everyone with a GTS 4.0 hates the sound.
It’s the injectors! it’s been stated multiple times. It’s the only way you can meet the smog requirements in America and especially in California

Enjoy the car

drive the wheels off of it

Redline it as often as possible…. and buy another Porsche …

repeat

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have just started a new thread about this god awful sound. Has anyone gotten anywhere with this or are you all just accepting it?
I started possibly the original thread on this. After I finally learned what it was…and I had to tell my own dealer techs what I learned because they’d had no GTS 4.0 cars in stock, nor had they serviced one… Anyway, from videos of the injectors, hearing a few other 718 GTS 4.0 cars with the same sound I accepted it. As long as it wasn’t an engine defect, I could live with it. I was totally convinced that it was indeed, normal, and just the injectors. I learned to live with it and, not surprisingly, I stopped hearing it after a while. The sound didn’t go away, of course, but I just stopped “hearing” it cuz I knew it was normal, I guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I can live with it. If a Skoda made this noise they would be a laughing stock. My guess is that the volume of it varies between cars. I will take it back to the dealer to listen too. I ha e read many reviews on the 4.0 and none have referenced it. So either they are plainly biased toward Porsche or the fleet used were picked for the lack of "noise"

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I can live with it. If a Skoda made this noise they would be a laughing stock.
Are you sure you (plural) are talking about the same noise?

My engine makes a rapid tapping sound which I would have described as loose valves in an older engine. My dealer said it was the injectors. It isn't objectionable and sometimes isn't audible (unless maybe I've just learned to ignore it). I wouldn't describe it as metallic scraping or anything similar.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would describe mine more as a scraping kind of noise. But I think we are talking about the same thing because a Google search had others describing it a a kind of scraping

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
211 Posts
If you lift the bonnet of a BMW direct injection straight 6 you will hear a fairly load tappety sound from the injectors. It's normal but in a mid engine car you are going to hear it whereas you can't from the cabin in a front engine car.

As has already been said, it's difficult to know if that's the sound you are hearing.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Are you sure you (plural) are talking about the same noise?

My engine makes a rapid tapping sound which I would have described as loose valves in an older engine. My dealer said it was the injectors. It isn't objectionable and sometimes isn't audible (unless maybe I've just learned to ignore it). I wouldn't describe it as metallic scraping or anything similar.
(I started original thread…) and I agree with your statement….very important….we may be talking about different sounds?!? Mine is clearly a tapping sound. Not a scraping sound. The sound mine makes was the same sound heard on the You Tube video of a factory bench test of the injector system. It was “case closed“ fir me once I confirmed what it was and heard it in several other new cars. It’s not a great sound, but nothing I’d trade the car back for even if I could get $10k over what I paid for it a year ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ticking is not produced by the Piezo Fuel Injectors

Apparently many GTS 4.0 produce ticking noises at idling and low revs - but definitely not all !
In German Porsche Forum www.pff.de you'll find analysed soundfiles of two GTS 4.0 in

https://www.pff.de/thread/2807893-motorschaden-bei-982-cayman-gts-4-0-pdk-nach-1000-km/?pageNo=8
(Posts #52, #59 and #87)

where JWC proves :

-> ticking sound occurs once per camshaft revolution
-> ticking frequency is about 3000 Hz
-> ticking noise has become significantly quieter after about 6000 km
-> ticking noise increases, when engine is running under load

Moreover some owners report, that the annoying noise has decreased after change to a higher motor oil viscosity.

That all doesn't match to noises from Piezo Fuel Injectors as oftenly stated.
Injectors would produce at least 6 ticking sounds per camshaft revolution (if it is not only one noisy injector, which would have to be considered faulty as the remaining 5 do not tick).
At idling speed (about 700 rpm) 6 pulses / camshaft revolution would be 35 pulses/second and sound not like ticking but like a very fast drum roll.

JWC suspects, that annoying noise is produced by a (one) sticking lifter, which becomes more and more free after some mileage due to small remaining movements of the lifter's piston in its bore.

I have heard the compared sound of the injector test rigg and analysed it according to the recommendations in post #52 of the pff thread.
Apart from the fact that you never should compare sounds of a test rigg with reality, I've found that it might sound similar, but truely there is absolutely no matching.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I can live with it. If a Skoda made this noise they would be a laughing stock. My guess is that the volume of it varies between cars. I will take it back to the dealer to listen too. I ha e read many reviews on the 4.0 and none have referenced it. So either they are plainly biased toward Porsche or the fleet used were picked for the lack of "noise"
Same issue with me. It's completely embarrassing! I just cut my drive short and headed home as I was sitting in 2 way traffic and the ticking was obnoxious.

I frankly will not live with this. Either it gets fixed or I get this POS out of my life.

I'll go buy an NSX with low miles on it, because at least I know it won't break.

It didn't happen with me until about 2500 miles. Now it's every time, 25, 20, 30+ minutes into the drive, you're day is ruined.

I'm so pissed off....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sorry, but I am astounded by some of the reactions to the engine noise. I have heard tapping from my engine. It sounds like loose valves in a push rod engine. Sometime it is more noticeable, sometimes I just don't notice. Mostly I just don't notice it. My dealer says it is injector noise. I have no reason to doubt them. I have even less reason to think Porsche is unaware of a serious flaw in their engine design. Ever since my dealer's explanation I have stopped worrying. That's probably why I don't notice it anymore. Is it enough to dump that "POS" and buy a different car? Absolute not!!! I didn't buy it for its sound. (See T4 vs. NA6 discussions. Or any Internet blogger's reactions.) But what the heck, if any of you want a reason to complain and then sell the car, who am I to argue?

Reactions: _Brian_

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep. Injector noise. Perfectly normal
Im sorry this sound is not perfectly normal. That what they are telling us but it sounds terrible. It is actually ruining the experience of owning this car. This may be the way the injectors sound, but they should never have been selected for a mid mounted engine where the sound is so easily detected by the driver. It is un-Porsche sounding and frankly they should looking into offering a solution rather than telling us its normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bright side is that metallic tapping is the sound of technology advancing. Cheers and enjoy your new high tech machine to the max…I know I will (once she arrives).
just wait until you are sitting at a stop light and you have a car on either side of you. The noise bounces off those cars and is actually embarrassing. It sounds like my 1967 Chevy Camaro with a straight six running 2 quarts low on oil. It may be advanced technology but it sounds ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
just wait until you are sitting at a stop light and you have a car on either side of you. The noise bounces off those cars and is actually embarrassing. It sounds like my 1967 Chevy Camaro with a straight six running 2 quarts low on oil. It may be advanced technology but it sounds ridiculous.
I definitely dont hear mine bouncing off other cars. I still think we’re all talking about different sounds. If someone in the DC area has a loud, objectionable ticking sound, I’d love to meet up to compare.

Maybe something is seriously wrong with some cars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im with you on this. The noise is unacceptable to me. It ruins the experience of driving the car. As enthusiasts, we want a car that not only drives well but also sounds good. Its bad enough that the engines are coming from the factory with so many filters on the exhaust that the engine exhaust sounds lame. Now we have the equivalent of a valve tap emanating from the engine. This is completely nuts and I am pursuing action against Porsche on this. If anyone else is interested in taking action contact me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I definitely dont hear mine bouncing off other cars. I still think we’re all talking about different sounds. If someone in the DC area has a loud, objectionable ticking sound, I’d love to meet up to compare.

Maybe something is seriously wrong with some cars?
I think so. I took mine to the dealer and of course at that time, it was not quite as loud. But at certain times it is so loud that is all I can hear. I hoping to meet up with others locally to compare engine sounds to see if we all have the issue or if its just some.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
Im with you on this. The noise is unacceptable to me. It ruins the experience of driving the car. As enthusiasts, we want a car that not only drives well but also sounds good. Its bad enough that the engines are coming from the factory with so many filters on the exhaust that the engine exhaust sounds lame. Now we have the equivalent of a valve tap emanating from the engine. This is completely nuts and I am pursuing action against Porsche on this. If anyone else is interested in taking action contact me.
What happened when the dealer looked at your car? What did they have to say?

NVM: I see you just posted that the dealer was unable to reproduce.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts