Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What happened when the dealer looked at your car? What did they have to say?

NVM: I see you just posted that the dealer was unable to reproduce.
The car did make the noise but just not as loud as it sometimes gets. He said the noise was the injectors and that is the way they sound. There are time when it is so loud and noticeable that I find it hard to tune it out and it frankly ruins the experience for me. Have owned 9 Porsches and having 2 now, I have never been so unhappy with the noise of the engine itself.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
just wait until you are sitting at a stop light and you have a car on either side of you. The noise bounces off those cars and is actually embarrassing. It sounds like my 1967 Chevy Camaro with a straight six running 2 quarts low on oil. It may be advanced technology but it sounds ridiculous.
Considered a 2022 Spyder with <1,000 miles. I could hear some noise, but didn’t think it sounded ridiculous…just mechanical and different than sports cars from my past. I sense the exhaust “updates” allowed more mechanical noise to reach my ears.

Second and third opinions are recommended. Should they disagree with your dealer, then work with PCNA to rectify the issue. If not, and it’s untenable, then the market is perfect and your car should sell in a matter of hours.

I wish you only the best possible outcome.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
The car did make the noise but just not as loud as it sometimes gets. He said the noise was the injectors and that is the way they sound. There are time when it is so loud and noticeable that I find it hard to tune it out and it frankly ruins the experience for me. Have owned 9 Porsches and having 2 now, I have never been so unhappy with the noise of the engine itself.
I think get someone else to drive it and see what they think. Otherwise, a shark blue 4.0 should be super easy to sell in this market. You’ll do fine and you can find something that suits you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Annoying ticking sound has been analyzed and discussed in different forums.

I summarize :

-> Ticking happens 1 x / camshaft revolution and has a frequency of about 3000 Hz, therefore :
-> cause is definitely not the injectors !
-> Loudness is depending on oil temperature / oil viscosity.
-> Loudness sometimes increases with engine's load.
-> Sometimes loudness decreases with increasing mileage, but sometimes not.
-> Sometimes ticking first occured after some mileage and did not exist with the brandnew car.
-> Many GTS 4.0 - possibly even the majority - tick, but definitely not all.
-> The 6 cylinders 718 engine in the soundfile published by Porsche AG herself does not tick.
-> None of the GTS 4.0 in the publications of motor press ticks.

Whoever tells a story of ticking injectors and advanced technology doesn't tell the truth but a fake narrative. Why ?

In threads of different forums you can find comments about more realistic reasons for the ticking, I do not want to repeat here.
Latest analyzed sound example is

a videoclip combining acoustic sound, sound track and written remarks in a descriptive synchronous way.

It probably will match the sound you are complaining.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've been ignoring this thread but I think I will post a comment now. I don't know what drives the injectors but it could very easily be synchronous with the camshaft, or seem to be. The apparent dependence on temperature might be on engine temperature, not on oil temperature per se. My car has sometimes made this sound, and sometimes not. It seems to have diminished lately or disappeared entirely but it was definitely there sometimes when the car was new.

The thing is, Porsche surely isn't ignoring a serious flaw which some folks apparently think this sound indicates. More to point of why I'm writing this now: If it bothers people so badly that they are embarrassed by it, then just sell the car and move on. Otherwise just accept it. It's part of the package.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found out that it is exactly the same sound that is heard in the 911 992 but less loud because the engine is much more enclosed in the body and does not have the side air intakes that the Boxster, Cayman, Spyder and GT4 have

I was very worried about that sound in the first few weeks after I got my GTS but after almost two years and 26,000 km I have gotten used to it and have no problem.

Enjoy your car and if you don't like the sound...there are other options on the market

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been ignoring this thread but I think I will post a comment now. I don't know what drives the injectors but it could very easily be synchronous with the camshaft, or seem to be. The apparent dependence on temperature might be on engine temperature, not on oil temperature per se. My car has sometimes made this sound, and sometimes not. It seems to have diminished lately or disappeared entirely but it was definitely there sometimes when the car was new.

The thing is, Porsche surely isn't ignoring a serious flaw which some folks apparently think this sound indicates. More to point of why I'm writing this now: If it bothers people so badly that they are embarrassed by it, then just sell the car and move on. Otherwise just accept it. It's part of the package.
To understand the problem, some basic knowledge of 4 stroke combustion engines and particularly of injection systems is helpful : In a 6 cylinders engine there are 6 injectors, each cylinder having one. Each injector fires (at least) once per combustion stroke, thus (at least) 6 firing events occure per camshaft revolution (35 events /second at idle speed 700 rpm) - sounding like a buzzer or a very fast drumrole - not like the measured ticking (6 events /second at idle speed 700 rpm).
That excludes the injectors from causing the annoying noises.

Some posts state, that ticking is reduced after oil is changed to a higher viscosity, thus oil temperature / oil viscosity is the determinating fact - not motor temperature .

Lastly it is more a financial than an emotional problem. If you enjoy your car or are angry about it: as long as this defect is not fixed the resale value of your car is reduced - I myself would never buy a second hand car (of any brand) producing such ticking noises - even not for a significant discount.

Help to find out the real cause of the ticking is my main intention to participate in this thread. The defect has to be determined and fixed. To sell the car is not a target oriented advice.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S, APR, Ohlins
227 Posts
Hi, I’m new to 718 Forum. Had a 2017 Boxster, 2019 911S Cab, 2020 Macan S, now, since March a 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0. Awesome car. Most enjoyable of my Porsches! BUT….!!!…I’m troubled by a “tinny, metallic, tapping sound” on engine start up (really noticeable), subsides quite a bit at normal idle but STILL there! I notice it when driving, too, at low speeds, before loud normal exhaust sound drowns it out. Particularly noticeable echoing off building, shrubbery hedges etc., at lower speed. Porsche dealer unsure if it’s normal and has no exact same car to compare it to. Absolutely zero 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 in Massachusetts area dealers!
Has anyone noticed this odd & troubling “tinny, metallic, tap..tap..tap.. sound” in.GTS 4.0? I told dealer I could not imagine Porsche designers would let this be an acceptable engine noise in a new model, produced especially to bring back the ”throaty, guttural” old school sound of a naturally aspirated Porsche engine?.. Please let me know if anyone has experienced it…or…NOT…which is what I suspect. Thanks.
Wondered about this too in my 2.5T. My time in a garage made me sensitive to certain sounds, and this alarmed me as a bad tappet or chain tensioner alarm. I chalked it up to mid engine car, like opening the hood and leaning over the engine vs sitting behind the firewall and transmission and other muffling noises. Just me…

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
To understand the problem, some basic knowledge of 4 stroke combustion engines and particularly of injection systems is helpful...
Well, I know enough about engines and engineering to understand how any number of solutions might work. I also know that the 718 engine is right behind the seats so lots of sounds might come through which aren't as audible in a different car.

Lastly it is more a financial than an emotional problem.
Ah. For me (at least) it isn't a financial issue. I have never bought a car with its resale value in mind. I would never buy a Porsche for any reason like that. I buy it for me to drive. The last thing on my mind is whether anyone else is likely to want it. So if the sound or lack thereof okay by me then I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey jimmuller,

nobody wants to stop you enjoying your car. I'm partially even with you and never thought about selling my GTS 4.0 regarding its ticking.

But that doesn't help such folks who expect to get an unfaulty car for their unfaulty money.
I myself don't bother too much about that ticking as it has significantly decreased after about 6000 miles and there are no reports about serious engine damages.

But what seriously bothers me is to be told "it is NORMAL" or "It's the injectors".

It could be NORMAL compared with some other GTS, but it is NOT NORMAL in relationship to the State of the Art.
I've heard about ten GTS4.0 - most ticked but ONE did NOT. And the GTS is my fourth midsize engine Porsche but the only one ticking.

And first of all : IT IS NOT THE INJECTORS.

Why don't they tell us the truth ? What do they have to hide ?

Let's find out the real reason and claim repair.
I'm quite convinced that you as well as me will be even a little bit happier driving a car which sounds like a Porsche sportscar ought to sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, if out of 10 GTS 9 do it and 1 doesn't, if I were the owner of the one that doesn't, maybe I should start worrying...:LOL:

The 4.0 engine has been in production for more than three years now; more than enough time so that if Porsche considered that this noise is abnormal or represents an engine problem, it would take action to solve it, since otherwise it would be exposed to endless claims for future engine failures.

Admittedly, it's not a particularly nice sound, but I'm not aware of any reported cases of engine failure because of it. So I am very calm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, if out of 10 GTS 9 do it and 1 doesn't, if I were the owner of the one that doesn't, maybe I should start worrying...:LOL:

The 4.0 engine has been in production for more than three years now; more than enough time so that if Porsche considered that this noise is abnormal or represents an engine problem, it would take action to solve it, since otherwise it would be exposed to endless claims for future engine failures.

Admittedly, it's not a particularly nice sound, but I'm not aware of any reported cases of engine failure because of it. So I am very calm.
Maybe switching to an EV will solve the problem for any that don’t like engine noise?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all, so I just put 200 KM on my brand new 2022 Porsche 718 Spyder. North American car. When the odometer was under 90 KM, no issues. Right at 90 KM, the loud ticking noise started and it has been here ever since. At idle it is fine, only at speeds of 20km/h and upwards does it get louder.

·
Registered
2022 Boxster 25 years (GTS 4.0)
7 Posts
Sorry to be late to join this discussion; I just discovered it. I, too, am being driven nuts by this awful "rattle can" sound in my 2022 GTS 4.0, which appeared the moment I first turned it over at the dealership. It is NOT dependent on engine temp, but IS dependent on ambient temp (disappearing when it drops below 50 degrees F). It is generally not there at idle, but appears the minute I touch the gas, tho' it doesn't not get louder or faster with RPMs. I'm afraid I'm one of those people who DID buy the car for the sound (in part), so I am grievously disappointed (to the point I'm thinking about dumping a car I love, otherwise, and which has only 8K miles on it). Is there ANY progress in discovering a fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to be late to join this discussion; I just discovered it. I, too, am being driven nuts by this awful "rattle can" sound in my 2022 GTS 4.0, which appeared the moment I first turned it over at the dealership. It is NOT dependent on engine temp, but IS dependent on ambient temp (disappearing when it drops below 50 degrees F). It is generally not there at idle, but appears the minute I touch the gas, tho' it doesn't not get louder or faster with RPMs. I'm afraid I'm one of those people who DID buy the car for the sound (in part), so I am grievously disappointed (to the point I'm thinking about dumping a car I love, otherwise, and which has only 8K miles on it). Is there ANY progress in discovering a fix?
I'm feeling the same way... considering selling my cgts. The ticking is just brutal.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Couldn't really care less about the noise. Sure, it's loud and wish it wasn't there. Regardless, I've never heard the noise underway on road or track, so IMHO it's effectively a moot issue (YMMV).

Reactions: TomD

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just test drove a GTS 4.0. I’m searching again based on stupid logic…my back windshield shattered so it must be time to upgrade. This is logic that my wife caves into or gives up on.
Anyway, I was surprised by the clacking, and while it would not prevent me from getting one of these wonderful pieces of rolling art, I gotta admit it’s a negative. To me, at my age, it triggers my “bad tappets/valves” alarm bell. I do hope to have an opportunity to learn how to adjust or remediate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read so many reviews on this car. I can't believe none of them mentioned the noise. Either the press cars didn't make the noise or they are deaf. My guess is that some are worse than others and Porsche picked quiet one's for the press. If all the reviewers had mentioned the rattle then Porsche would have to have done something about it.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts