Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hoosier

I honestly cannot tell if you are serious, or not? I mean, I know the C8 is probably a bit over-hyped, but I cannot tell if you are fan or not?

I have not given the C8 any consideration. Why? Not sure, really, as I am sure it is a sweet ride. I have just never been much a Corvette fan.

I guess when it comes to what I would actually consider buying I have become a snobby German sport car guy. Even with that stated, my 'enthusiasm' has dwindled down to Porsche and couple BMW offerings.

After reading your post, I questioned if I am truly a sport car enthusiast, or just a Porsche/BMW enthusiast. . . as far as actual ownership goes.

AVM
LOL, no worries... well other than you thinking I'm actually that crazy. :sleep:

My comment about the C8 was very heavy sarcasm! @BudgetPlan1 will get it and probably have a good laugh.

Short version is the person NCD would say basically what I said, but ACTUALLY believe it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
LOL, no worries... well other than you thinking I'm actually that crazy.

My comment about the C8 was very heavy sarcasm! @BudgetPlan1 will get it and probably have a good laugh.

Short version is the person NCD would say basically what I said, but ACTUALLY believe it!
Pretty much spot on

Has quite the 'enthusiasm', that guy.

Wonder what's gonna happen to all the Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren factories after C8 hits the streets? Hopefully theyll be able to rent 'em out to someone after shutting down in futility.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Scuttlebutt has it that Chevy is losing money on every C8 with an MSRP of less than $70k. We’ll see how long the pricing stays where it’s at currently.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Scuttlebutt has it that Chevy is losing money on every C8 with an MSRP of less than $70k. We’ll see how long the pricing stays where it’s at currently.
Sobi

Does that not violate 'fair trade laws'?

I am not an attorney, but my understanding is that its illegal to try and gain market share by marketing a vehicle at at loss?

AVM

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm pretty sure they've already announced an increase for the 2021 model year, can't confirm that though. However, it's obvious that 60K is a hook line and boy did a lot of folks fall for it. A lot of them (not all) actually think the C8 will appreciate in value, because all other super/exotic/premium brands will go out of business... Just straight crazy talk I tell ya!

I still have a C8 preorder but have pushed it back till the z06 (or whatever it will be called) version is released. It's close... just not there yet. C8 as is, I just don't like it and after getting some hands on time at a dealer event I knew when I left that I was buying a Cayman. Shortly after, I took delivery of my 718S!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm pretty sure they've already announced an increase for the 2021 model year, can't confirm that though. However, it's obvious that 60K is a hook line and boy did a lot of folks fall for it. A lot of them (not all) actually think the C8 will appreciate in value, because all other super/exotic/premium brands will go out of business... Just straight crazy talk I tell ya!

I still have a C8 preorder but have pushed it back till the z06 (or whatever it will be called) version is released. It's close... just not there yet. C8 as is, I just don't like it and after getting some hands on time at a dealer event I knew when I left that I was buying a Cayman. Shortly after, I took delivery of my 718S!
OK Hoosier, I am biting. I know almost nothing about the C8. . . not to derail this thread but, in one post, could you share your opinion of the C8 chassis compared to the 718. I know the Vette probably is similar weight - if still made of fiber glass - and has more torque/hp than the 718, but I am not interested in 0-60. I am interested in how it handles compared to 718. . . oh, and I guess for thoroughness, probably worth knowing how that C8 sounds?

Thank you

AVM

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sobi

Does that not violate 'fair trade laws'?

I am not an attorney, but my understanding is that its illegal to try and gain market share by marketing a vehicle at at loss?

AVM
That would be a difficult case to prove. Sales obviously bring the cost per unit down. I'm sure that's the case for many things including cars.

·
Registered
314 Posts
GTS

My statement was in response to Sobi stating Chevy was losing money on every C8 sold. He did say it was 'scuttlebutt,' so perhaps more rumor than proven. Most businesses cannot afford to produce a product and market at a loss. The car industry is a bit different, as big car makers like GM could absorb losses associated with one model through volume of others sold. 'Fair trade laws' are particularly well monitored in the car industry as to avoid unfair gains in a market share segment. I agree that whether GM is losing money on C8 is unproven and unlikely given regulations, however, I have to believe that for the stated $60K asking price GM is walking a thin line.

AVM

·
Registered
621 Posts
GTS

My statement was in response to Sobi stating Chevy was losing money on every C8 sold. He did say it was 'scuttlebutt,' so perhaps more rumor than proven. Most businesses cannot afford to produce a product and market at a loss. The car industry is a bit different, as big car makers like GM could absorb losses associated with one model through volume of others sold. 'Fair trade laws' are particularly well monitored in the car industry as to avoid unfair gains in a market share segment. I agree that whether GM is losing money on C8 is unproven and unlikely given regulations, however, I have to believe that for the stated $60K asking price GM is walking a thin line.

AVM
I still say that would be difficult to prove. Also, some entity would have to bring the case. The feds won't do that on their own. Another manufacturer would have to claim some kind of damages as a result of Chevy selling their car at a loss.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I still say that would be difficult to prove. Also, some entity would have to bring the case. The feds won't do that on their own. Another manufacturer would have to claim some kind of damages as a result of Chevy selling their car at a loss.
I believe you are correct GTS. It is common in the airline industry to reduce fares below cost on competitive routes. Usually this is done as a signal when a carrier adds a new route that another carrier considers "his route". Years ago American actually put Legend Airlines out of business and was sued but eventually won the case (vacated decison). American actually went as far as re-configuring the F100 with 56 seats and flying the same routes as Legend out of Dallas Love Field, and dropped the fares. Legend subequently declared bankrupcy and American changed the F100 configuration back to original and abandoned every Love field route they added. It was blatant.

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK Hoosier, I am biting. I know almost nothing about the C8. . . not to derail this thread but, in one post, could you share your opinion of the C8 chassis compared to the 718. I know the Vette probably is similar weight - if still made of fiber glass - and has more torque/hp than the 718, but I am not interested in 0-60. I am interested in how it handles compared to 718. . . oh, and I guess for thoroughness, probably worth knowing how that C8 sounds?

Thank you

AVM
AVM,

Here's the thing with the C8. Not one car has been delivered yet! So all the praise and claims are based on reporter opinion and testing. Just for clarity I am NOT advocating for the C8. For those that don't know the Corvette generations are C1 - C8, with C8 being the new mid-engine platform.

Here is my story... I owned a C7 Z51 2LT which is a fairly well equipped base car with the Track focused suspension. In my case the suspension was also equipped with Magnetic Ride Control (similar to PASM). We looked at a 981 S at the same time but got all caught up in Corvette aggressiveness, it was more "Merica" with brute force and look at me. I have to admit that we fell for it... even though we now know it was the wrong choice.

It was a nice car, had everything I wanted. Fast, handled well and looked good! I really have no complaints with the driving experience with the car, but my wife did and here's why. She felt, and I also agree that the Corvette has become a bit of a pig. It's become heavier with all the new tech and it feels like a large car in the driving experience. By that I mean it feels physically large because of the less than desirable visibility. We had our car for a whole 4600 miles before the engine needed replaced/rebuilt (choice was give for either) and I chose to have it rebuilt. I know the replacement is safer, but it will always show in it's history as the engine having to be replaced. So I went with rebuild since it would only show up as a "Warranty Repair" and knowing I was eventually going to sell it I didn't want to be left holding the bag on a car that some in the Corvette world view as imperfect. I didn't doubt the rebuild in any way, it was a smoother running and more powerful engine after that, but you've got to understand the mentality that some Corvette owners have for repairs and numbers matching BS.

Why all the trouble you'll ask, well I knew the C8 was coming (unsure exactly when) and wanted to give it a go. So I placed my pre-order for the first run and made plans to sell my car as soon as possible after the repair. I drove it for about 3 months and all was fine, so I felt confident in listing the car for sale. I posted it online and I kid you not had the actual cash deposited in my bank account in about 2 hours after listing it. Amazing, right! So now I've beat most people to the punch of selling their older generation car before the market is flooded with everyone wanting to do the same.

The problem is that the Mid-Engine Corvette kept getting pushed back. There was nothing but rumors and renderings to base a 90K purchase on, so I was starting to get hesitant. I persisted and held strong, until the day finally came. They have announced the C8.... That's great, but then it took another 6 months before they officially launched it via a webcast at almost midnight. I was excited, the specs sounded good, the looks were good (on camera) and the price was very exciting. I had to wait a month or so before there was a Dealer Event that you could go to and get hands on with the vehicle, hands on being a pre-production car was in the showroom for viewing. I walked in, took as many pictures as possible, sat in it, fiddled with it, found things I liked, things I didn't, but most importantly I hated it visual presentation in person. I could not get past the huge rear end, I tried to be open minded and look at it from different angles and perspectives but once you see that flaw it's forever stuck in your head.

I left that event knowing that I was going home to begin my search for what we "should" have bought the first time.... a Porsche! Jump forward a few weeks and I took delivery of our 718 S. My wife loves it, she can drive it without feeling like she's driving a tank and to be honest we both regretted picking the Vette over the Cayman the first time around.

Whew... if your still here I congratulate you for reading my long boring story! Now to answer your questions.

• Weight is probably (depending on equipment) about a 600lb spread with the advantage going to Porsche
  • HP & TQ is 190HP & 150TQ advantage to the C8 Corvette
  • 0-60 is Corvettes one claim to fame on this platform with a best of 2.9
  • Sound of of the C8 is okay, it's a Chevy small block and for the most part they all sound the same
  • NOBODY can tell you the chassis dynamic's... because NOBODY has one yet.
  • The corvette is not fiberglass (common misconception) They are a Poly based panel. (PLASTIC)
What does all this mean? Well my comments on the C8 were in Jest and meant to be funny. That's what happens when one assumes that the reader knows and understands my frame of mind. I was in no way implying that the C8 is superior or better in any way. Because there isn't a single production car on the road yet... but the die hard Corvette fanboys are all up in their victory of besting Porsche. Funny right?

It sounds like GM is going to have a tough time with these cars because some of the suppliers have pulled out of their contracts for parts. Not sure why, but the breaking of a contract like that is not normal and seems no one is giving this aspect any attention. This C8 has had quite a few delays with some being engineering/structural issues and Labor disputes/strikes. It is IMO a pretty big gamble to take a first year car like this from GM.

You did say in one post! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
314 Posts
AVM,

Here's the thing with the C8. Not one car has been delivered yet! So all the praise and claims are based on reporter opinion and testing. Just for clarity I am NOT advocating for the C8. For those that don't know the Corvette generations are C1 - C8, with C8 being the new mid-engine platform.

Here is my story... I owned a C7 Z51 2LT which is a fairly well equipped base car with the Track focused suspension. In my case the suspension was also equipped with Magnetic Ride Control (similar to PASM). We looked at a 981 S at the same time but got all caught up in Corvette aggressiveness, it was more "Merica" with brute force and look at me. I have to admit that we fell for it... even though we now know it was the wrong choice.

It was a nice car, had everything I wanted. Fast, handled well and looked good! I really have no complaints with the driving experience with the car, but my wife did and here's why. She felt, and I also agree that the Corvette has become a bit of a pig. It's become heavier with all the new tech and it feels like a large car in the driving experience. By that I mean it feels physically large because of the less than desirable visibility. We had our car for a whole 4600 miles before the engine needed replaced/rebuilt (choice was give for either) and I chose to have it rebuilt. I know the replacement is safer, but it will always show in it's history as the engine having to be replaced. So I went with rebuild since it would only show up as a "Warranty Repair" and knowing I was eventually going to sell it I didn't want to be left holding the bag on a car that some in the Corvette world view as imperfect. I didn't doubt the rebuild in any way, it was a smoother running and more powerful engine after that, but you've got to understand the mentality that some Corvette owners have for repairs and numbers matching BS.

Why all the trouble you'll ask, well I knew the C8 was coming (unsure exactly when) and wanted to give it a go. So I placed my pre-order for the first run and made plans to sell my car as soon as possible after the repair. I drove it for about 3 months and all was fine, so I felt confident in listing the car for sale. I posted it online and I kid you not had the actual cash deposited in my bank account in about 2 hours after listing it. Amazing, right! So now I've beat most people to the punch of selling their older generation car before the market is flooded with everyone wanting to do the same.

The problem is that the Mid-Engine Corvette kept getting pushed back. There was nothing but rumors and renderings to base a 90K purchase on, so I was starting to get hesitant. I persisted and held strong, until the day finally came. They have announced the C8.... That's great, but then it took another 6 months before they officially launched it via a webcast at almost midnight. I was excited, the specs sounded good, the looks were good (on camera) and the price was very exciting. I had to wait a month or so before there was a Dealer Event that you could go to and get hands on with the vehicle, hands on being a pre-production car was in the showroom for viewing. I walked in, took as many pictures as possible, sat in it, fiddled with it, found things I liked, things I didn't, but most importantly I hated it visual presentation in person. I could not get past the huge rear end, I tried to be open minded and look at it from different angles and perspectives but once you see that flaw it's forever stuck in your head.

I left that event knowing that I was going home to begin my search for what we "should" have bought the first time.... a Porsche! Jump forward a few weeks and I took delivery of our 718 S. My wife loves it, she can drive it without feeling like she's driving a tank and to be honest we both regretted picking the Vette over the Cayman the first time around.

Whew... if your still here I congratulate you for reading my long boring story! Now to answer your questions.

• Weight is probably (depending on equipment) about a 600lb spread with the advantage going to Porsche
  • HP & TQ is 190HP & 150TQ advantage to the C8 Corvette
  • 0-60 is Corvettes one claim to fame on this platform with a best of 2.9
  • Sound of of the C8 is okay, it's a Chevy small block and for the most part they all sound the same
  • NOBODY can tell you the chassis dynamic's... because NOBODY has one yet.
  • The corvette is not fiberglass (common misconception) They are a Poly based panel. (PLASTIC)
What does all this mean? Well my comments on the C8 were in Jest and meant to be funny. That's what happens when one assumes that the reader knows and understands my frame of mind. I was in no way implying that the C8 is superior or better in any way. Because there isn't a single production car on the road yet... but the die hard Corvette fanboys are all up in their victory of besting Porsche. Funny right?

It sounds like GM is going to have a tough time with these cars because some of the suppliers have pulled out of their contracts for parts. Not sure why, but the breaking of a contract like that is not normal and seems no one is giving this aspect any attention. This C8 has had quite a few delays with some being engineering/structural issues and Labor disputes/strikes. It is IMO a pretty big gamble to take a first year car like this from GM.

You did say in one post! :ROFLMAO:
Hoosier

Fantastic post! Thank you.

I have heard so much about the C8 for a while now and just assumed it was already out on the road . . . I guess that speak to my interest, or lack thereof in the Corvette lineage.

One thing you referenced is the size of the C8, and how it feels as big as it looks due to poor visibility. I think this is a characteristic of American muscle cars, although I am certain GM and Corvette enthusiasts would cringe in hearing my categorization. The Shelby and Camaro Z1 seem even bigger than they look due to poor visibility in each.

I am certain my interests have become more than obvious by now . . . I am not about straight line, 0-60. I am all about chassis performance, and I do not believe anyone does 'chassis' better than Porsche. Supercars aside, as I am after daily drivers, not tracking. Although, where I live allows me to really feel like I have my own track out in the wild. If I lived in a city/urban environment of predominantly stop-and-go driving I can confidently say I would not own a sport car. Not sure how I would ever get any enjoyment out of one under such circumstance?

I apologize to OP for the C8 diversion . . . I will refrain from further discussion in this thread on the C8.

AVM

21 - 32 of 32 Posts