Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have one of those problems that my local service department couldn't reproduce. My car will grind on a 1 - 2 upshift about one in fifty times I shift. At first I thought it was my technique, but it has now happened enough times during different driving conditions to rule 'me' out as the root cause.

Specifically, the grind occurs when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, in all drive modes, cold car, warmed up, any RPM, during quick shifts, lazy shifts, etc. It's the only problem I have fully enjoying the car, since it makes me cringe each time it happens. It's almost like the clutch plate / throw out bearing aren't doing what they should or the synchros don't work for some crazy reason.

Not one problem upshifting or downshifting to any other gear, just 1 - 2.

I'm at 2,100 miles and I kept the car below 5K RPM's through 2,000 miles. It does seem like the problem is occurring less frequently as I put miles on the car, though.

Anyone else encountered a similar problem? Any ideas on what to have the tech look at next time I take it in? I've already reported it once and will keep doing so each time, just so it's on record with my service department.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm not sure how similar or not the 718 manual transmission is but I notice the same with my new to me GT4. About every 50th time sounds about right. I feel like 1st to 2nd the gearbox is not very forgiving when the clutch is not fully pressed and released just right - not too lazy - not too fast. I don't think one can call it user error but may be user assisted in my case. Hard to explain. It is getting less frequent though I believe.

In any case I also reported it to my service department. Will continue to do so. If I'm not happy with it when the end of warranty comes I'll push for a diagnosis and gear box switch if necessary. Until then I'm not overthinking it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the same issue in my 2018 Cayman. It happens occasionally and only on the 1 - 2 shift just as you described.

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
4 Posts
1st to 2nd gear grind 2018 CS

I having the same issue, about 5200 miles on the car since new 4/2018. Grind has occurred 10 times, kept track of the mileage for the last 3: 2110, 2780 and 4475. It has not happened when shifting above about 3300 rpm, or when shifting up or down between any other gears. Clutch pedal always fully depressed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the part numbers are different on the manual transaxles from the '16 GT4 to the '17 718 base and S models (Gaudin Porsche doesn't list the '18 GTS manual transmission part number, yet), but that doesn't help determine if the transmission internals are really all that different. My gut tells me Porsche has only made incremental changes to the Cayman/Boxster from the 981 to the 982, so in a way, it's encouraging to hear that others have experienced the same problem.

I'm getting ready to park my car for the winter, but hopefully we can continue to track reports of this issue and raise awareness. In the meantime, drive the cars as they are meant to be driven, keep reporting the issue to Porsche, and hopefully someone can track down a concrete diagnosis and repair before all of our warranties run out.

I do hate how the grind makes me feel, though. I've been driving manual transmission cars for 20 years and know how to shift, so I hate when a service department essentially tells me it's my fault.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it might be time for an update on this issue. I'm now at 3600+ miles and the issue continues to occur less and less frequently as the miles go by. Still makes me feel terrible every time it happens, but it isn't happening during every drive.

I do tend to wait for the revs to drop during 1 - 2 shifts just to make sure the clutch is fully engaged, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought it might be time for an update on this issue. I'm now at 3600+ miles and the issue continues to occur less and less frequently as the miles go by. Still makes me feel terrible every time it happens, but it isn't happening during every drive.

I do tend to wait for the revs to drop during 1 - 2 shifts just to make sure the clutch is fully engaged, though.
I've written on the rennlist forum about this issue because I had the very same problem on my 2018 base Cayman.

I too have driven manual transmissions all my life and never had an issue like this. In past cars, I always knew when I made an error with a bad shift and would grind a syncro. For me this problem was intermittent. getting worse with mileage, and didn't make any sense because I wasn't doing anything wrong. To ensure I wasn't doing anything wrong I would not touch the gear shifter until I had the clutch hard against the backstop. I finally went on a test drive with the technician at the Porsche dealer. I told him to shift above 4000 RPM and he replicated the problem twice. The whole transmission was replaced under warranty. I haven't had any issues with the new transmission.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
The pedal is not pressing the clutch all the way in. This is probably air in the clutch line. Get it fixed because the clutch will drag a bit if you have clutch in at a stop...and it will wear the clutch and is rough on synchros too. Should be a simple fix.

Change clutch fluid or at least bleed it. Check that the slave cylinder is mounted tightly and adjusted correctly.

My '18 Cayman GTS has about 10,500 miles....all put on by me. It's a little bit grabby if I'm lazy shifting it, but it works normally.

:alien:

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
78 Posts
i can say i had a audi RS changed the dualflywheel by a solid one , the day i did it ... grinding in al gears till 2500rpm, it was a direct sound translation from the gearbox itself, it was not harming anything at all but there were no springs anymore to catch the vibrations from gearbox to clutch , the clutch now was changed from a solid to a spring version , but these springs were to let the clutch move a very little bit , the flywheel takes away a lot more vibrations by every move you do . i changed it again due to i had probs with my synchrorings to change gear at high rpm , need to give rpm between shifting to shift. so i changed it back to dual flywheel and grinding gone . i was sad because the solid flywheel 4 kg less was amazing , the acceleration was unbelievable. i let check my full gearbox afther , synchrorings 1-2gear replaced but were not total , and replaced all bearings because it was open , all gears were brand new. btw it was sinter clutches i drove , there were no organic for 700nm hold

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a note that I also have that happening on a brand new 718 2.0MT produced in January'21. It's happening about once every 20 or 30 shifts 1 to 2, unless I move the lever really gentle. No issues with any other shifts.

I'll probably contact the dealer right away to see if they agree to do a check that Yuro suggested, and then monitor this. If it starts getting worse, hopefully they'll replace it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is my second 718C 6MT. I had the MY '18 from new and for nearly 30k miles (it is my daily driver) and I had the grinding problem all of two or three times, total. I assumed that I simply moved the shifter without having the clutch fully engaged, even though I have been exclusively driving manual transmission cars since the early 80's. I have had my MY '21 718C 6MT since late November. The grinding problem has happened now five times in about 1,350 miles. I asked my dealer here in Woodland Hills to change the transmission fluid and bleed out the line, but they said that they cannot do so without being able to replicate the problem. It happens so intermittently that I will never be able to get them to replicate the problem. I guess that I will just wait until the first service and demand that they do it then. It is a lease, so I am not really worried about it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's clearly a gearbox problem, as there is a long thread on Rennlist where new 718 GT4 / Spyder owners are having the same problem.

In my case, the problem has continued to occur less and less often. I think I have just learned to live with it, since the dealer technicians can't ever reproduce the problem. I keep reporting it, though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It s clearly a gearbox problem but not, a mechanical problem to have problems, it s a vibration problem between syncro rings , gearbox and flywheel. Stiff springs in the flywheel can be the problem at low rpm .

·
Registered
310 Posts
I find that I am much more deliberate about fully depressing the clutch and waiting a heartbeat or two more when shifting from first to second than in other gears. I agree about calling it out when taking the car in for service even though they will say that they cannot reproduce the problem. When identifying the problem I specifically state that it is sporadic and not intentionally reproducible. I do this so it is on the record just in case when I hand in my lease they notice the problem and try to ding me for it.

·
Registered
2020 718 GT4 Manual
6 Posts
OK folks, my very first post here.

My 2020 718 GT4 has 4500mi and is also exhibiting that same 1-2 grind phenomenon. Like most of you, I thought it was me, even though I’ve been driving stick (not Porsche) for 20 years without experiencing the slight grind.
I experimented with seat heigh, close to the steering, auto blip off, etc...That horrific and traumatizing grind noise is random, but does happen for me, when shifting with the same pattern (relaxed or hard) on the same drive. At the end of the day, what I use as a workaround is to slightly pause before going into 2nd. I also noticed the lower the seat is, the smoother the gearbox/shifting becomes, including that 1-2 shift. Having auto blip off seems to help, not sure why.

That is not a pleasant experience to an otherwise fantastic car. I scheduled a service apt and will discuss the situation with the advisor.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK folks, my very first post here.

My 2020 718 GT4 has 4500mi and is also exhibiting that same 1-2 grind phenomenon...
...That is not a pleasant experience to an otherwise fantastic car. I scheduled a service apt and will discuss the situation with the advisor.
Welcome and thank you for sharing your story on this thread. I've read an increasing number of people reporting this problem as more 6 speed 718 GT4 and Spyder owners take possession.

I'm at 7,000 miles and still experience this problem randomly. I had it happen twice this past weekend during a two hour drive. The first time was when accelerating quickly to cross traffic in a left hand turn, then it happened a few minutes later when accelerating from a stop sign. I tend to slow shift into 2nd, which usually works.

My annual service is tomorrow and I will be mentioning this issue again. I have no doubt the dealer won't be able to reproduce the grind, but it at least gives me some record to point back to if it's ever needed.

·
Registered
2020 718 GT4 Manual
6 Posts
I'm at 7,000 miles and still experience this problem randomly [...] I tend to slow shift into 2nd, which usually works.

My annual service is tomorrow and I will be mentioning this issue again. I have no doubt the dealer won't be able to reproduce the grind, but it at least gives me some record to point back to if it's ever needed.
7K, wow, no hope then:(

Whenever I shift 1-2, I am very apprehensive, and mentally scarred. Also, I always think what if something does get damaged after a while? I have double-digit grinds at this point...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an update from my side (was having the issue quite consistently in the first couple of thousands kms). It's been happening less and less, and now at about 4000 km I don't think I remember when it happened for the last time.

What I did to try to make it better is making sure I always push the clutch pedal 100%. At some point I was intentionally doing a lot of 1-2 shifts to try to rep the problem / adjust my shifting style. I also was trying to shift slower, but recently this does not seem to be needed, and there's no grind even if I shift quickly.

I don't know if it wore in, or maybe my shifting style has changed, or both, but at least I don't have that awful feeling of "is it going to happen this time" before every 1-2 shift anymore.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it really helped me to learn I was not the only one with this issue.

GTS, zkar — I hope it gets better for you as well.

·
Registered
2020 718 GT4 Manual
6 Posts
My yearly service is in July, not this month.

I just talked to the SA and I could just drop by whenever and drive with a technician, especially if the car is "on a roll" of exhibiting the problem within the same drive. Unless the technician hears the grind, there is nothing the dealership can do. Furthermore, he emphasized how important it is to constantly report the issue for proper documentation, and mostly for the dealership to start the paperwork because apparently Porsche HQ needs a lot of those for replacement parts.

The thing is, not a lot of these cars are being sold, and so the reported cases are on the super low side (i.e. it was a first case he's heard of).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my car back this morning and, of course, the technician wasn't able to reproduce the problem. I did share this thread, along with the one on Rennlist, with my SA, who showed both to the tech. Basically, I got the same story; yes, it sounds like a problem, but without hearing it, they can't do anything. They suggested I leave the car with the dealer for an extended period so that the tech can drive it longer.

I intentionally made quick 1-2 shifts on the way home and it didn't grind. Go figure.

Does anyone know of a contact at PCNA where we could potentially report the issue?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts