Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 718 GT4 Manual
6 Posts
Here’s what i noticed. If i get close to the dash but lower my seat so that i dont feel cramped and legs are not touching the steering column or wheel itself, I can’t get that grind to occur. The shifting is smoother. Maybe lucky but two days in a row and all kind of shifting. So basically, it could be that this car demands low seating position with legs close enough for a full clutch depressed at that particular angle. I know, it sounds far fetched:) I’ll report back...

·
Registered
2020 718 GT4 Manual
6 Posts
Quick update: still no grinding with my new seating arrangement. And I rev to 7K RPM at times before shifting to 2nd gear. AutoBlip ON however requires a bit more attention to 1-2 shifting, it is, or at least feels like, more analog/mechanical.
So not really sure what to make of this, maybe the hot weather in CA, dunno. Or pure luck. Or the fact I am a bit more careful when I shift to 2nd gear (no quick shifting, so RPMs do drop a bit).

·
Registered
2020 718 GT4 Manual
6 Posts
OK, I think I figured it out.

#1: With the seat lower than I am used to, and my left (clutch) leg slightly bent, no grind.
#2: With my seat at a height I do prefer, and my left (clutch) leg bent more than slightly, occasional grind.

My theory is,
#1: a naturally slower shifting, with a slight pause between 1st and 2nd gear
#2: a naturally quicker shifting, with a more aggressive/no pause lever motion, between 1st and 2nd gear

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, I think I figured it out.

#1: With the seat lower than I am used to, and my left (clutch) leg slightly bent, no grind.
#2: With my seat at a height I do prefer, and my left (clutch) leg bent more than slightly, occasional grind.

My theory is,
#1: a naturally slower shifting, with a slight pause between 1st and 2nd gear
#2: a naturally quicker shifting, with a more aggressive/no pause lever motion, between 1st and 2nd gear
Would be interesting to compare with someone else's experience.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
672 Posts
I got a grind a few times with my CGTS4 going from 1st to 2nd as well. It only happens if I try to do a quick shift. If I do a slower shift I think it lets the RPM drop enough to land at the right speed.
The pedal is not pressing the clutch all the way in. This is probably air in the clutch line. Get it fixed because the clutch will drag a bit if you have clutch in at a stop...and it will wear the clutch and is rough on synchros too. Should be a simple fix.

Change clutch fluid or at least bleed it. Check that the slave cylinder is mounted tightly and adjusted correctly.

My '18 Cayman GTS has about 10,500 miles....all put on by me. It's a little bit grabby if I'm lazy shifting it, but it works normally.

:alien:
I wonder if this is it.

I get a grind a few times with my CGTS4 going from 1st to 2nd as well. It only happens if I try to do a quick shift. If I do a slower shift I think it lets the RPM drop enough to land at the right speed. I am no expert at stick (only had 1 car, my VW GTI w/ stick before, for the last 10 years), so hard to say if it is my lack of skill.

Maybe I should at least have the dealer test it out by more skilled people...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts