·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for doing this and very interested in how the install goes regarding fitment with all the stock pieces.
Got the pan installed today. I talked with the installer a bit about the install process. It's snug in there, but does fit under the engine cover. They were a little confused on how the baffle extender fit in there at first. There's no threads and it just kind of slides over this o-ring. Other than that very straight forward.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,556 Posts
There is a very interesting off-hand engineer's remark at the end of the second to last paragraph of this Car & Driver engine review from 2016 and it seems to give credence to an over-sized sump, although it suggests something else.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright everyone, track day 1 of 2 completed with the oil pan. Here's the results.

Did the oil pan completely stop limp mode? No. I did hit parts of laps in two different sessions where it limp moded. However, it did not hit limp mode nearly as much as I had in previous track days. I got 2 complete sessions with no limp mode, and 2 sessions with limp mode toward the end of the session; but it would recover temporarily in between. Previously it would limp mode fairly easily, and stay there. Today was a pretty cold as well, with air intake temperatures fifty degrees below the last track day I got access logs for.

I've got accessport logs for today if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Alright everyone, track day 1 of 2 completed with the oil pan. Here's the results.

Did the oil pan completely stop limp mode? No. I did hit parts of laps in two different sessions where it limp moded. However, it did not hit limp mode nearly as much as I had in previous track days. I got 2 complete sessions with no limp mode, and 2 sessions with limp mode toward the end of the session; but it would recover temporarily in between. Previously it would limp mode fairly easily, and stay there. Today was a pretty cold as well, with air intake temperatures fifty degrees below the last track day I got access logs for.

Dang, that’s disappointing. With AITs that far below last time, I wouldn’t expect any limp mode problems. Even without the new part. Porsche should be resolving this issue, not us.

·
Registered
180 Posts

well, not what we were hoping to hear, especially considering the lower temps. greatly appreciate you taking on this task and expense to see what would happen. Is BRS going to wrap your down pipe to see if it helps? I also saw on RENNL, that softronic is claiming it’s a software related issue and they‘re claiming softronic doesn’t have the issue. You should ask them for a free tune to verify their claim vs. Cobb. They would be crazy not to help you out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, not what we were hoping to hear, especially considering the lower temps. greatly appreciate you taking on this task and expense to see what would happen. Is BRS going to wrap your down pipe to see if it helps? I also saw on RENNL, that softronic is claiming it’s a software related issue and they‘re claiming softronic doesn’t have the issue. You should ask them for a free tune to verify their claim vs. Cobb. They would be crazy not to help you out.
So day number 2 went a lot better. I took the Cobb tune off and didn't have any problems for the rest of the day. Which was great! I'm going to see what the next track day is like without the tune on through any part of the weekend.

The limp mode issues were much better over the course of the weekend. Lots of limp mode free laps, which I got 0 of before.

I'd definitely recommend the pan, and a 3rd radiator, to anyone that tracks their car. The lower oil temps are going to extend the life of your engine a lot; especially if you don't want to run 0w50.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a very long chat with Scott from Softronic today. I ordered one and we're gonna see what happens, he's very very knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,556 Posts
It sure does because my warranty is goooooonnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee…. I’m stuck with this car now. Stuck with a car that limp modes, so awesome.
In that article I mentioned above, did you try anything akin to this suggestion: "Porsche refers to the sump as an “integrated dry sump,” but it is essentially a wet-sump design, as gravity still draws oil to the pickup point; even engine oiling isn’t an issue on the stock tires, but one engineer suggested an external oil collector—and a pump, like on a dry sump engine—might be a good idea were someone to run the Boxster on slick tires."

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In that article I mentioned above, did you try anything akin to this suggestion: "Porsche refers to the sump as an “integrated dry sump,” but it is essentially a wet-sump design, as gravity still draws oil to the pickup point; even engine oiling isn’t an issue on the stock tires, but one engineer suggested an external oil collector—and a pump, like on a dry sump engine—might be a good idea were someone to run the Boxster on slick tires."
Nope. I’m not doing anything else. Oil temp isn’t the issue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts