Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's the IAT that causes the limp mode. Especially when the intercooler is heat soaked and wastegate actuator overheated. Only solution is better intercooler, water injection (water/meth spray), and somehow cool the wastegate

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got any evidence to back that up?
No actual data as I don't have a data logger. However..
  • On a recent track day going 9/10th pace, in ambient temp of 15C (59F), car went into limp while oil temp was only 125C (257F). No warning lights on dash but significant reduction in power, I would estimate only about 50% of full power. I did one cool down lap, oil temp was down to 120C (248F), car had full power again.
  • In another instance, one trackday with a hotter ambient of 23C (77F), oil temp sat at 135C (275F) with no reduction in power, this is on the earlier session of the day. Around the afternoon sessions, with the same oil temp, car felt it had only 85% of full power going down the back straight. Max speed: 235KM/H (146MPH) earlier sessions, 228KM/H (141.6MPH) afternoon sessions.
With that in mind, I have ruled out the oil temp, and confidently in saying the IAT, and wastegate actuator are playing a major role here.

I plugged in a scanner to scan for any fault codes and landed on the turbo solenoid overheat error after the recent trackday. (forgot the fault code number as I did not take a picture).
Since then, I have added an airflap which I custom made that guides the air from underneath up to the wastegate actuator.

Taking the car back to the same track with similar ambient (16C / 61F), I was able to complete the day with no limp mode and had more consistent power delivery for a longer duration of the day before I felt the 15% power reduction in the last 2 sessions of the day.

Info about my car:
  • Stock powertrain
  • No 3rd radiator

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No actual data as I don't have a data logger. However..
  • On a recent track day going 9/10th pace, in ambient temp of 15C (59F), car went into limp while oil temp was only 125C (257F). No warning lights on dash but significant reduction in power, I would estimate only about 50% of full power. I did one cool down lap, oil temp was down to 120C (248F), car had full power again.
  • In another instance, one trackday with a hotter ambient of 23C (77F), oil temp sat at 135C (275F) with no reduction in power, this is on the earlier session of the day. Around the afternoon sessions, with the same oil temp, car felt it had only 85% of full power going down the back straight. Max speed: 235KM/H (146MPH) earlier sessions, 228KM/H (141.6MPH) afternoon sessions.
With that in mind, I have ruled out the oil temp, and confidently in saying the IAT, and wastegate actuator are playing a major role here.

I plugged in a scanner to scan for any fault codes and landed on the turbo solenoid overheat error after the recent trackday. (forgot the fault code number as I did not take a picture).
Since then, I have added an airflap which I custom made that guides the air from underneath up to the wastegate actuator.

Taking the car back to the same track with similar ambient (16C / 61F), I was able to complete the day with no limp mode and had more consistent power delivery for a longer duration of the day before I felt the 15% power reduction in the last 2 sessions of the day.

Info about my car:
  • Stock powertrain
  • No 3rd radiator
What does intake air temperature have to do with the wastegate actuator overheating? What you’re describing just sounds like general heat soak of the turbo, which oil is meant to cool.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts