Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my 40k Mile service at the 39k mile mark in late Feb. A friend recommended I do a blackstone-labs oil analysis when I do my oil changes as I track the car regularly and plan to keep it long term. This oil sample was only 4 months old but had 9k miles and 14 track days due to a crazy late season where I did all those track days in 6 weeks and made some big road trips. Pretty happy overall with how everything has held up.

Planning to keep doing these as $30 is a small amount to pay for peace of mind as the car gets older or goes out of warranty. Wondering what others' experiences are with tracking the condition of their engine through oil analysis.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
For a tracked car these are invaluable, I've been doing it for many years now.
The whole point is to monitor over a number of samples to establish a baseline trend.
Deviations over time are what matters.

Oil testing saved me an engine on a previous car.
Lead values were fairly steady over time (years) and then the lead numbers spiked from 4ppm (average) to 28ppm.
I decided to do a bottom end tear down and sure enough rod bearings were done.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Being an engineer to the core (at least per my family and friends), and having spent a career in the company of large, critical to both production and public safety, industrial machines, makes an inexpensive oil analysis really appeal to me. I am now at 10.3K miles and I am holding off on the 10K service as I do not think this service is currently an essential activity and therefore does not justify the risk of going into a dealership. So, I still have an opportunity for an as-found oil sample before just before the oil is changed. This might be an excellent data point, with respect to preventing a major engine problem later in the warranty period, and/or any push back from Porsche about who might be at fault in the very unlikely event a problem does occur. In other words, its trivially cheap so why not?

OK, so, is there any easy way way of taking the sample since the engine is so well hidden?

In over 50 years this is the first car I have owned that I have not been under the hood the day I drove it home.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That is a bit of a problem if you want to do a sample without changing the oil...
I do mine when I change the oil (myself)
Since the 10K service is done by the dealer, my thought is to get the sample before the dealer changes it as I cannot at all depend upon the dealer to give me an uncontaminated sample of the old oil.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Since the 10K service is done by the dealer, my thought is to get the sample before the dealer changes it as I cannot at all depend upon the dealer to give me an uncontaminated sample of the old oil.
With my BMWs I used to do that halfway between change intervals, if I had been out to a few track days.
I was able to do it topside with a vacuum line down the dipstick tube.
That's obviously not possible with our 718s.

·
Registered
743 Posts
With my BMWs I used to do that halfway between change intervals, if I had been out to a few track days.
I was able to do it topside with a vacuum line down the dipstick tube.
That's obviously not possible with our 718s.
I only track a couple of weekends per year (or that is the plan anyway), so I'm unlikely to need to do this. But if I was, would where you fill with oil not be a good access point?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I only track a couple of weekends per year (or that is the plan anyway), so I'm unlikely to need to do this. But if I was, would where you fill with oil not be a good access point?
The fill oil likely just follows the return galleries back to the sump.
I doubt that there's a direct path to the sump that would allow insertion of a vac line to draw a sample.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The fill oil likely just follows the return galleries back to the sump.
I doubt that there's a direct path to the sump that would allow insertion of a vac line to draw a sample.
That makes sense, but can the sump hold the entire capacity, or would some non-circulating oil still be in the return galleries? Of course, that would have to be tested, I suspect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use Blackstone for my airplane. I change the airplane's oil every 30 engine hours, which works out to about every 5000 miles. I've found Blackstone to be great; they offer good insights and help you catch problems long before they can manifest themselves in failures. When an aircraft engine starts 'making metal', that's a big deal and not something you want to realize over the Rocky Mountains at night...

I don't bother using them for my cars, since I don't track...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts