Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Im thinking of ordering a 4.0 gts in the near future and own a cayman T presently I’d appreciate the thoughts of those that have experienced both engines as to the differences pros cons and has anyone regretted moving to the gts 4.0 and leaving the turbo.
🙏🏼🙏🏼

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am considering the same. But the performance figures of my BS PDK with SC vs the GTS 4.0 don't seem to warrant the extra cost. Not sure about the T model. However, the 911 has me drooling...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Since Im thinking of ordering a 4.0 gts in the near future and own a cayman T presently I’d appreciate the thoughts of those that have experienced both engines as to the differences pros cons and has anyone regretted moving to the gts 4.0 and leaving the turbo.
🙏🏼🙏🏼
I've ordered a 4.0 GTS and currently have a Cayman T - both manual. The T is an absolute delight, its really good fun and is everything I hoped it would be. Its getting on for 2.5 years since Ive had it, and I'll be sad to see it go in some respects, but there are a couple of things that I would spec differently if I was buying it over again, as the T was very much stripped back - the GTS will have the same excellent chassis but with a less bare-bones approach than i took before. It was also my first turbo car and I will probably miss the addictive surge of torque, but I think its making me lazier and relying on the boost instead of being in the right gear.

I realise none of this answers your question as I havent actually driven the 4.0 yet (I will soon).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've ordered a 4.0 GTS and currently have a Cayman T - both manual. The T is an absolute delight, its really good fun and is everything I hoped it would be. Its getting on for 2.5 years since Ive had it, and I'll be sad to see it go in some respects, but there are a couple of things that I would spec differently if I was buying it over again, as the T was very much stripped back - the GTS will have the same excellent chassis but with a less bare-bones approach than i took before. It was also my first turbo car and I will probably miss the addictive surge of torque, but I think its making me lazier and relying on the boost instead of being in the right gear.

I realise none of this answers your question as I havent actually driven the 4.0 yet (I will soon).
The main reason for me to go for the 4.0 is the sound track. My main concern is that the 4.0 will feel slower than the turbo. According to reviews I’ve seen I’m confused. on the one hand they say the 4.0 has instantaneous acceleration and no turbo lag and on the other hand they point out the low end torque advantage so to speak of the turbo.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The main reason for me to go for the 4.0 is the sound track. My main concern is that the 4.0 will feel slower than the turbo. According to reviews I’ve seen I’m confused. on the one hand they say the 4.0 has instantaneous acceleration and no turbo lag and on the other hand they point out the low end torque advantage so to speak of the turbo.
I did the GT4 at PEC and it was noted by my coach the instantaneous throttle response as compared to my 2.5T. To tell the truth, I didn't notice it. It was a beast but so is the 2.5T.
MOO & FWIW

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
820 Posts
Both have lots more than you really need. I cannot imagine feeling that the 4.0 engine is underpowered, but I haven't driven the turbo car.

FYI, the 4.0 sounds good, even with the GPF and sound symposer, but the best music was that from the 981 engines.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I dont know if the torque and power curves for both have been posted somewhere, but im sure the turbo will give a good account of itself even being down 100bhp. Porsche quotes the GTS 4.0 peak torque as 420Nm @ 5,500 revs - at which point the exhaust valve will be open 😉 whereas the T peak torque is 380Nm between 2,150 - 4,500rpm - much sooner, and not that much less torque. I shall let you know once Ive driven the GTS if I actually manage to this side of Christmas. Thing is Im not too bothered either way, you just adapt and drive in a way that maximises what the engine's strengths are.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both have lots more than you really need. I cannot imagine feeling that the 4.0 engine is underpowered, but I haven't driven the turbo car.

FYI, the 4.0 sounds good, even with the GPF and sound symposer, but the best music was that from the 981 engines.
Best music 981 that’s for sure agreed 👌🏼

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I’m in a similar predicament. Just spoken to my SA and he suggested I put a deposit down now for a 2023 delivery. I’ve got a test drive lined up in the 4.0 for next week so will see how I feel but the low down lunch of the turbo is addictive. I know the sound track will be addictive and this will, and most definitely be, my last Porsche. I don’t think you could get much better unless you went for a GT car or into 911 territory which is way way above my price range.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m in a similar predicament. Just spoken to my SA and he suggested I put a deposit down now for a 2023 delivery. I’ve got a test drive lined up in the 4.0 for next week so will see how I feel but the low down lunch of the turbo is addictive. I know the sound track will be addictive and this will, and most definitely be, my last Porsche. I don’t think you could get much better unless you went for a GT car or into 911 territory which is way way above my price range.
same here exactly! Gts 4.0 is my max and im looking for that one and only porsche for keeps. My sa doesn’t and will not have a gts 4.0 for a test drive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
While not a 2.0, I owned a GTS 2.5 for just shy of two years and sold it back to my retailer mid-summer and am awaiting a Spyder. I've had a go in a GTS 4.0 at Silverstone and was given a 4.0 for the weekend back in August.

In short, I can't say I came away thinking one was better than the other. In fact, I missed the SOUND of the 2.5 over the 4.0 if I'm honest. More pops and bangs which I liked in the 2.5. Power wise, very hard pressed to notice any major difference with my style of driving.

In short, if they offered a Spyder with the 4 or 6, I'd have saved the money and gone for the 2.5. Just my view of course.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I’ve driven 2.5Ts (S and GTS) and 4.0s (both a GT4 and a Boxster GTS 4.0).

The thing about low-end torque; if you’re up a gear the turbo will have the extra grunt before you hit the powerband. If you’re starting your pull at 2000 RPM the turbo will feel faster. If you start at 4000 RPM, the 4.0 will feel much faster.

Once you’re past about 20 miles per hour, you can always choose to downshift to get back into the RPM range of the 4.0.

If you’re feeling lazy and don’t want to downshift, particularly in a manual, the 2.5T will feel better.

Both cars driven flat out, in stock trim, the 4.0 should be faster.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The main reason for me to go for the 4.0 is the sound track.
That seems to be a primary reason people want a flat 6. Porsche is smart because they do not provide the flat 6 sounds from the 2.0 Soundaktor. They make you spend lots of money for the sound. Do not even know how to spell something useless.

I do not even care for the Rice Krispy exhaust on the 2.0. Someone my age just thinks of Kellogg's Snap, Crackle and Pop characters in the cereal advertisements. Old folks do recall that mufflers were installed to make a car quiet.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
That seems to be a primary reason people want a flat 6. Porsche is smart because they do not provide the flat 6 sounds from the 2.0 Soundaktor. They make you spend lots of money for the sound. Do not even know how to spell something useless.
I don't know how that's possible. Every engine configuration has its own rhythm. 120 deg V-twins have a sound. Flat-crank V8's have a sound. Inline 5's have their sound. Flat-6 engines have their own song that is very much their own song. Even a quiet, muted, muffled engine still has the same underlying tone somewhere in there.

I do not even care for the Rice Krispy exhaust on the 2.0. Someone my age just thinks of Kellogg's Snap, Crackle and Pop characters in the cereal advertisements. Old folks do recall that mufflers were installed to make a car quiet.
yeah, that's a personal preference thing. I don't like the pops and crackles either. I'm an engineer, I hear that sound and I think I'd rather have burned that fuel inside the chamber, not back there producing nothing for me. I totally don't understand the appeal, but I know it's popular, and I know Mercedes has practically added it to their AMG brand as a core brand feature. I can see how Porsche has to keep up with that.

I very much respect Ferrari for largely staying away from trends like that. Even their turbos (which they were forced to do) don't feel very turbo-ey.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
820 Posts
A turbo 6 would be killer in a Cayman.
Back in 2015/2016 when Porsche was introducing the 718, the reason provided for the switch to four cylinders was that the turbo and ancilliary equipment would not fit in the available space if six cylinders were maintained. Nothing has changed since then.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am not exactly the target audience for responding to this group since I have never driven a Flat 4 Turbo Cayman. I did purchase a CGTS 4.0 and absolutely love the car. It never feels slow and there is no lack of torque even in the low RPM range. To me, the experience of the 4.0 is very different than the low-end torque of a turbo engine. I am waiting to complete the break-in period so I can start living life north of 4000rpm.

FWIW, I could not find a single GTS 4.0 to test drive when I put my deposit earlier this year. The first time I drove the 4.0 was when picking up my car from the dealer. I could not be happier with my decision :)

1 - 20 of 151 Posts