Porsche 718 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I’m not here to blow smoke. I’d love to say the 4.0 is faster, but I really think the 2.5 GTS is a smidge quicker. I’m not sure about top end though. I’m pretty sure the 4.0 will do 185-190mph, not that I will ever see that.
GTS 4.0 = 182 mph top speed
GTS 2.5 = 180 mph top speed
I'll never see these speeds either!

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
Power is all relative. The question is why do you want the power I guess? I was in my Miata recently and a Tesla shot off from the light and I decided to play. We got to a left turn with two lanes a few lights later and i took the left lane and was on the gas hard before the apex, long before he got on it. That left a pretty good gap between us on the straight. Granted I was wringing my motor out for all it could do and if we could have gone past 75 he would have caught me soon enough, but still it was fun. “Slow” cars can be fun when you get it right.

In a straight line I’d bet on a 2.5 over a 4.0 in a lot of situations. Throw in some curves and it will completely depend on the driver. If Porsche made a 3.0L F6 NA car, I’d probably have just bought that. That would have been enough power for me for this car IMO.

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
580 Posts
As an ex owner of a 911 / M3 CS and now driving a Cayman 2.5 GTS and after a good few drives in the 4.0 - both cars are really tremendous cars and far better than the 911 c4s / M3 I had and a beautiful car that turns heads everywhere I go .

the 2.5 will go up in value just due to the numbers sold and as for its 0-60 (PDK) it’s quicker than the 4.0 I know the new 4.0 PDK is quick - i have driven them both - DO NOT Underestimate the 2.5GTS and once you the driver learns to control the pops and bangs “great fun” weird it’s louder than the new 4.0 .

time will be this outcome - Porsche history dictates - minimum numbers = maximum appreciation.

there is literally no difference other than 2.5 is quicker 0-60 and that’s compared to the slower GT4 ( I drove that in manual and was shocked - slower )

I am of course bias in that I have a 2018 PDK GTS.
In the same way as I could not/would not justify a decent 911 S, I feel the same about the 4.0 GTS. There is little or no incentive for me to change comparing them both for the additional money I would have to then spend.
Even going to the 911 GTS - similar age to my GTS, there is so little difference in performance its - to me - just not worth spending all that extra cash.
I was/am lucky to bag my version when I did but I do also feel a little spoiled that it is just really, that good :cool:
Current thoughts are this is my keep car whatever.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Well, this thread has certainly turned interesting. @nova996 and @Andrewburns both make good points. Having a fast car is like being a gunslinger in the Old West. (That's a US thing for you folks across the pond.:)) On any given day there is always someone out there faster'n you. Do you really want to find out who that might be? On Main Street? In Tombstone, Arizona? With the sheriff watching? That sure sounds like a lose-lose proposition.!:eek:

When I bought my base Cayman the dealer also had a nicely appointed new S. But I couldn't justify the price increase. It had a few other features I didn't like which made rationalizing the decision easier. In any case, I rarely get to use the full glory of the engine I do have, let alone the one I passed up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I figured I would weigh in on this topic because I have the a 718 GT4 with the 4.0 manual and a 2018 Boxter GTS PDK with the 2.5.
1st off I love both cars for different reasons. The GT4 is set up for track and as such is not great for street use. I do have some mods done to the GT4, most are suspension & brakes, but I do also have Dundon headers that include overaxle pipes and race cats. In that form the GT4 is faster than the GTS, throttle response is quicker and more direct and it just has more power everywhere. The sound is also amazing.
The GTS sound is a bit strange. It almost has dual personalities, at very low revs it almost sounds like a VW Beatle, and then has a better sound once the engine spins up. Turbo lag is there at initial throttle input as well. Once the turbo spins up the car is very quick and the PDK is amazing. I love this car! I looked at the 4.0 GTS, but could not justify the current price difference especially with the current dealer markup. One of the benefits of the 2.5 is that it is easy to get more power out of it. I will get a custom tune next week and plan on doing a comparison video between the two cars after.
If price was't an issue I would have gone for the 4.0, but still thing the 2.5 is a great car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I figured I would weigh in on this topic because I have the a 718 GT4 with the 4.0 manual and a 2018 Boxter GTS PDK with the 2.5.
1st off I love both cars for different reasons. The GT4 is set up for track and as such is not great for street use. I do have some mods done to the GT4, most are suspension & brakes, but I do also have Dundon headers that include overaxle pipes and race cats. In that form the GT4 is faster than the GTS, throttle response is quicker and more direct and it just has more power everywhere. The sound is also amazing.
The GTS sound is a bit strange. It almost has dual personalities, at very low revs it almost sounds like a VW Beatle, and then has a better sound once the engine spins up. Turbo lag is there at initial throttle input as well. Once the turbo spins up the car is very quick and the PDK is amazing. I love this car! I looked at the 4.0 GTS, but could not justify the current price difference especially with the current dealer markup. One of the benefits of the 2.5 is that it is easy to get more power out of it. I will get a custom tune next week and plan on doing a comparison video between the two cars after.
If price was't an issue I would have gone for the 4.0, but still thing the 2.5 is a great car.
sounds like you are about where i'm at. i drove the 2.5 GTS and it said GTS on the side, and i didn't realize it wasn't the 4.0. kept talking to the SA about the 4.0 and after driving he said, dave, that is a 4 cylinder. took about 3 times saying it before it registered as i heard 4 L in my brain. wasn't a long test drive but the 2.5 GTS is impressive.

If i had one, i'd be content. since i don't, and this is my first porsche, i can't justify the saving of $16k to buy a T or even less to buy an S. in for a penny, in for a pound, no regrets mentality

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
201 Posts
Well, this thread has certainly turned interesting. @nova996 and @Andrewburns both make good points. Having a fast car is like being a gunslinger in the Old West. (That's a US thing for you folks across the pond.:)) On any given day there is always someone out there faster'n you. Do you really want to find out who that might be? On Main Street? In Tombstone, Arizona? With the sheriff watching? That sure sounds like a lose-lose proposition.!:eek:

When I bought my base Cayman the dealer also had a nicely appointed new S. But I couldn't justify the price increase. It had a few other features I didn't like which made rationalizing the decision easier. In any case, I rarely get to use the full glory of the engine I do have, let alone the one I passed up.
I love these “debates” whenever there is a significant model change. Prior to this, and my M2, I owned an E-92 M3. My validation and confirmation bias were triggered with each V8 howl past 8k RPM. I’m not embarrassed in my love for the old and new technologies…and just different. Does this make me a car-sl^t vs car-nut?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I do suspect if you drove a 2.5GTS and a 4.0GTS back to back, doing pulls from 2500 RPM, you’d come out thinking the 2.5GTS was faster.

Similarly, if you did pulls starting at 4000 RPM, you’d think the 4.0 was faster.

I completely understand not wanting to buy a 4.0GTS if you already have a 2.5. If “flat-6” means nothing to you, I wouldn’t recommend it at all! The increases are incremental and as implied by the first sentence of my post, come with their own tradeoffs.

I test-drove a 2.5GTS when deciding whether or not to order the 4.0GTS, and thought it was a great car. Coming from a supercharged V8, though, I absolutely needed that flat-6 noise. Engine tunes are part of the sports car experience for me and I like the flat-6 sound track.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am of course bias in that I have a 2018 PDK GTS.
In the same way as I could not/would not justify a decent 911 S, I feel the same about the 4.0 GTS. There is little or no incentive for me to change comparing them both for the additional money I would have to then spend.
Even going to the 911 GTS - similar age to my GTS, there is so little difference in performance its - to me - just not worth spending all that extra cash.
I was/am lucky to bag my version when I did but I do also feel a little spoiled that it is just really, that good :cool:
Current thoughts are this is my keep car whatever.
I think there is an element that would be shocking to Porsche owners but I'm starting to see a little bit of it. Even if there was no price difference there is a generation of enthusiasts that like the Cayman more than 911 not because it's cheaper but because it's mid engine, lighter, looks better and they haven't gone so digital like the new 911 Cockpits. 911 people and frankly many here believe it is solely a value proposition but people like me would buy a gt4 over a gt3 even if gt3 was same price. Frankly the Cayman lines are better and size better for some of us than 911. I think for older guys there is still this thing that you only buy cayman for the price. That is just old thinking for many of us.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
I think there is an element that would be shocking to Porsche owners but I'm starting to see a little bit of it. Even if there was no price difference there is a generation of enthusiasts that like the Cayman more than 911 not because it's cheaper but because it's mid engine, lighter, looks better and they haven't gone so digital like the new 911 Cockpits. 911 people and frankly many here believe it is solely a value proposition but people like me would buy a gt4 over a gt3 even if gt3 was same price. Frankly the Cayman lines are better and size better for some of us than 911. I think for older guys there is still this thing that you only buy cayman for the price. That is just old thinking for many of us.
I wouldn't make age part of the issue. I"m 50 years old and would choose a GT4RS over a GT3. The 911 has gotten really big.

If Porsche could fit their e-diff into the GT4RS, then it would definitely be a better car than the GT3 IMO. Sadly, they weren't able (willing?) to do that. But even without that, I'd choose the GT4RS.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
595 Posts
Agreed, I bought the BGTS because that was the car I wanted, even (especially?) after having air cooled 911s. The new 911 is big (even the 991.2 I tested was too big for what i wanted). The fact that the boxster is a better looking drop top to me and that I got an NA motor was icing on the cake.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,762 Posts
Agreed, I bought the BGTS because that was the car I wanted, even (especially?) after having air cooled 911s. The new 911 is big (even the 991.2 I tested was too big for what i wanted). The fact that the boxster is a better looking drop top to me and that I got an NA motor was icing on the cake.
Good point about the convertible. There isn't another convertible, from Porsche or anyone, that I would choose over the Boxster now that I've got to experience that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
literally love my 718 Boxster 😍
I have never been a fan of convertibles, as a performance guy they always felt compromised and more for sunday beach drives than all out performance. Usually, the structures are weakened and they are heavier and I feel a little better having a roof but the Boxster is a truly amazing piece of work. It is not any heavier from what I can tell from the coupe, it is almost as rigid, same performance and is a brilliant machine with little drawback compared to coupe. So much so, that I considered getting it over the coupe. The only other convertible i considered before was the Miata but the Boxster is a masterpiece of convertible design...it just doesn't look good, but it has the "go" to go with it and looks great too. Even the first T I noticed was a boxster T, which made the cloth seats stand out, and got me to consider a Porsche. Yes, it is a an amazing machine!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do suspect if you drove a 2.5GTS and a 4.0GTS back to back, doing pulls from 2500 RPM, you’d come out thinking the 2.5GTS was faster.

Similarly, if you did pulls starting at 4000 RPM, you’d think the 4.0 was faster.

I completely understand not wanting to buy a 4.0GTS if you already have a 2.5. If “flat-6” means nothing to you, I wouldn’t recommend it at all! The increases are incremental and as implied by the first sentence of my post, come with their own tradeoffs.

I test-drove a 2.5GTS when deciding whether or not to order the 4.0GTS, and thought it was a great car. Coming from a supercharged V8, though, I absolutely needed that flat-6 noise. Engine tunes are part of the sports car experience for me and I like the flat-6 sound track.
I drove in my mk5 supra to go to test drive gts 4.0 prob wanst fair as the turbo surge low down, which is rather significant in the Supra initially made me think the gts 4.0 was slow. But after adjusting my head quickly and putting the 4.0 in the right gear, it was just as quick if not a bit more top end. It's just a matter of "once you get going" it's fast.. just doesn't "feel" it compared to the neck bending amount of torque off the line of modern turbos..

101 - 120 of 151 Posts