Porsche 718 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 in Chalk
19 Posts
I just traded my ‘19 S for a ‘22 GTS and will never look back. While I’m still in a “honeymoon phase,” I knew within the first 300 yards on the test drive that the 4.0 was worth it, low end torque be damned! And as others have said, it is by no means slow anywhere in the power band.

Reactions: PKB

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Since I started this thread I guess I owe my opinion now that my gts has arrived delivery been made two weeks ago. Haven’t yet gone over 4000 rpm still in break in period:
1. Engine sound: the main reason I replaced my T. The gts 4.0 is everything I imagined it would be. even under 4000 rpm for me the sound is glorious when pressing foot down firmly on throttle ( no need to slam it) compared to my former T and yes It’s definitely a subjective issue no better or lesser issue here. I don’t miss the pops and crackles in the T that also exists in the 981 na gts I prefer the “clean symphony sound”over the “raw grunting pops and bangs” of the turbo 4. Since I opted this time for the boxster now I can hear the exhaust sound together with the engine and that’s another plus for me. Can imagine over 4000 how much better it’s gonna get.
2. Torque/acceleration: the gts feels slower and heavier when accelerating from stand still or from low speeds compared to my T. The car generally feels heavier. No doubt I’d prefer the gts had the T’s fast acceleration and more nimble feel. On the other hand the response is instantaneous with no lag, but again the acceleration is linear, thus feels slower with no surge.
3. handling: harder to make the rear end slide in turns with the gts. Car feels heavier. Other aspects feel the same in back road driving, both cars hunkered down the same. I don’t track.
4. Fun factor boxster vs cayman: drop top element no doubt ups the experience for me. Only downside is taking care of the top and the visual esthetic effect later on depending on wear and tare of the top.
5. Conclusion: give me pros of both engines together and I’m all set. Having said that’s not possible, personally I prefer the na gts but make no mistake always gonna have a warm soft spot in my heart for the T which is an outstanding choice for enthusiasts who buy the car for the pleasure of driving.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have both.

2.5T
  • Better daily drive car.
  • Exhaust tone under 3K RPM is quieter for easy driving around town.
  • When cruising at speeds under 3000 rpm on the highway, the exhaust tone is more pleasant, like a low deep rumble.
  • Feels lighter and faster below 5K than 4.0
  • Exhaust tone when giving beans is messier than 4.0, bulky and unrefined
  • The engine isn't as refined as a 4.0.
  • Faster than 4.0

• Under 3000 RPM, the exhaust tone is always louder, but with an annoying booming tone. It becomes tedious and boring to cruising drive on the highway for long time.
  • While giving beans over 4K RPM the sound is way more refined and pleasant than 2.5T.
  • Engine feels with more pedigree.. lol
  • Feels a bit heavier all the time, but when cornering, it gives the impression of being more planted.
  • it has an annoying loud ticking on idle like a diesel engine.
  • No cracking noises or rattling that are common in the 2.5T because of the engine vibration.

To summarize, 2.5T is better when driving easy and relaxing. The 4.0 isn't as good, and it's less enjoyable in this area. For a daily driver, this is an important part of the time spent in the car.
The 4.0 I would say is more rewarding when you need to drive quickly and with a heavy foot, such as during a bank robbery, for some people this is all that matters.
The issue is that both activities are a part of the driver's life.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have both.

2.5T

• When cruising at speeds under 3000 rpm on the highway, the exhaust tone is more pleasant, like a low deep rumble.
  • Faster than 4.0

• Under 3000 RPM, the exhaust tone is always louder, but with an annoying booming tone. It becomes tedious and boring to cruising drive on the highway for long time.
  • While giving beans over 4K RPM the sound is way more refined and pleasant than 2.5T.
  • Feels a bit heavier all the time, but when cornering, it gives the impression of being more planted.
  • No cracking noises or rattling that are common in the 2.5T because of the engine vibration.
you only get to keep one. play the game. which one are ya selling?

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
580 Posts
I have both.

2.5T
  • Faster than 4.0

this a good comparison and to be honest, fractions of a second are then not just the car, it’s the driver. Either versions I am sure I would be pleased with, I just happen to have the 2.5 and more than happy with it And very pleased.
as mentioned before, would I now spend the additional extra to go to the 4.0, it’s a no, sorry.
the 2.5 versions with added spec and similar low mileage seem to be, for the moment still holding values nicely, certainly here in UK but we all have a new car shortage affecting everything still. The only reason I mention this is I dropped more than half the value of my previous merc convertible within less than a year of ownership and that tbh still stings :unsure:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I have never driven anything related to a bank robbery.
I purchased a 1960 Olds 98 Convertible in 1985 that had been won by it's 2nd owner at a police auction in 1971. The car had been impounded after the 1st owner was chased down and arrested after an armed convenience store robbery. Thankfully, the 2nd owner fixed the two bullet holes that were just behind the driver's side door, but visible through the trunk. Interesting times.

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
580 Posts
I purchased a 1960 Olds 98 Convertible in 1985 that had been won by it's 2nd owner at a police auction in 1971. The car had been impounded after the 1st owner was chased down and arrested after an armed convenience store robbery. Thankfully, the 2nd owner fixed the two bullet holes that were just behind the driver's side door, but visible through the trunk. Interesting times.
personally, I would have probably kept the bullet holes 😎

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
201 Posts
Have to be notably different feel. Based on the info in this thread,

even a "tweaked" 4.0L motor (a tune +Dundon headers I think) never made more torque than the tuned 2.5L GTS till the 2.5L @7,400 rpm redline on the way to the 4.0L's s @ 8,000 limit. earlier in the thread there is also a link to a side-by-side rolling pull between the two setups.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have to be notably different feel. Based on the info in this thread,

even a "tweaked" 4.0L motor (a tune +Dundon headers I think) never made more torque than the tuned 2.5L GTS till redline the 2.5L @7,400 rpm redline on the way to the 4.0L's s @ 8,000 limit. earlier in the thread there is also a link to a side-by-side rolling pull between the two setups.
Yes ! 2.5 it is faster but there is more than just be faster.

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
201 Posts
Yes ! 2.5 it is faster but there is more than just be faster.
Yes, I agree there is a lot more to a car than "faster." Also FWIW I'm not convinced the 2.5 is faster in every case.

I'm looking forward to Peterimeringlo impressions and report back from his track experience with the 4.0L. I do believe is the cars certainly will feel and drive differently, and there's probably more need to give careful thought to what transmission setup, PDK vs. manual, will give each driver the best experience they want for their purposes.

Me, I think I'd really like the 4.0L car's bigger brakes :) but then I haven't been doing as much track / HPDE stuff as I used to, and the stock system is pretty good as it is, maybe with just hotter pads and brake fluid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Imo the beauty of the 4.0 lays totally on the sound of the engine and exhaust and personally for me the fact that its more quiet under 4000 (even then sounds great imo) and gets totally crazy over 4000, vs the turbo 4 that is pretty much the same engine sound all over the rev band, is even more gratifying. Again a totally subjective issue. If the engine sound wasn’t so much more pleasing for me in the 4.0 and not a deal breaker for me in the turbo 4, I’m pretty sure I’d prefer the 2.5 and probably even be satisfied with the 2.0 cuz they are faster and lighter.

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
580 Posts
Imo the beauty of the 4.0 lays totally on the sound of the engine and exhaust and personally for me the fact that its more quiet under 4000 (even then sounds great imo) and gets totally crazy over 4000, vs the turbo 4 that is pretty much the same engine sound all over the rev band, is even more gratifying. Again a totally subjective issue. If the engine sound wasn’t so much more pleasing for me in the 4.0 and not a deal breaker for me in the turbo 4, I’m pretty sure I’d prefer the 2.5 and probably even be satisfied with the 2.0 cuz they are faster and lighter.

Oh Lordy, don't start on a 2.5 Vrs 2.0 thread, my poor ticker cannot handle it :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
201 Posts
The main problem that I have with the 4.0 is that I don’t have one. I always want the next best thing. Considering therapy but then started down this path: instead of bi-weekly therapy I could use that money for a payment on an upgrade to a 4.0, practice in front of the mirror, have debate points for SWMBO…

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
The main problem that I have with the 4.0 is that I don’t have one. I always want the next best thing. Considering therapy but then started down this path: instead of bi-weekly therapy I could use that money for a payment on an upgrade to a 4.0, practice in front of the mirror, have debate points for SWMBO…
“That I have…”? You mean “we all have!”. we’re all or most of us are “sick” and “mental” in this forum. You understand that right? 😜😜

121 - 140 of 151 Posts