Porsche 718 Forum banner
141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have both.

2.5T
  • Better daily drive car.
  • Exhaust tone under 3K RPM is quieter for easy driving around town.
  • When cruising at speeds under 3000 rpm on the highway, the exhaust tone is more pleasant, like a low deep rumble.
  • Feels lighter and faster below 5K than 4.0
  • Exhaust tone when giving beans is messier than 4.0, bulky and unrefined
  • The engine isn't as refined as a 4.0.
  • Faster than 4.0

• Under 3000 RPM, the exhaust tone is always louder, but with an annoying booming tone. It becomes tedious and boring to cruising drive on the highway for long time.
  • While giving beans over 4K RPM the sound is way more refined and pleasant than 2.5T.
  • Engine feels with more pedigree.. lol
  • Feels a bit heavier all the time, but when cornering, it gives the impression of being more planted.
  • it has an annoying loud ticking on idle like a diesel engine.
  • No cracking noises or rattling that are common in the 2.5T because of the engine vibration.

To summarize, 2.5T is better when driving easy and relaxing. The 4.0 isn't as good, and it's less enjoyable in this area. For a daily driver, this is an important part of the time spent in the car.
The 4.0 I would say is more rewarding when you need to drive quickly and with a heavy foot, such as during a bank robbery, for some people this is all that matters.
The issue is that both activities are a part of the driver's life.
No there isn't!😊
I thought the same but after comparing A and B can tell there is more than just be faster.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I didn't even got to the 2.5, I'm just with the 2.0... and love it. The T is such an amazing package for old school enthusiast and it was only offered in 2.0 so for me it was between the 4.0 or 2.0T. The 2.5 is a little quicker but still sounds basically the same to me, so I went 2.0T. If money were no object, I would've gotten the GTS 4.0 probably and customized it with things you get with the T and can't get in the GTS. I would've added the GT4 shifter to the GTS and black interior trim. I believe that the NA is the best overall but for me there some drawbacks as well to the GTS over my 2.0L T. The first was cost. The difference for me at this point in my life was that I could get the Cayman T and pay 3 years of state college tuition for my son for the same money. It was a win win, because really the turbo cars are so amazing. I don't think Porsche motors starting or idling or putting around sound great...none of them from Turbo 4 to GT3RS2. Maybe if you're the idiot at cars and coffee revving them parked to 7000 rpm, yes, they sound good there but I have never in my life sat at cars and coffee and gunned a motor for people. I don't track the car so I am mostly in the midrange of the car most of the time and that is where the turbo is happy. I don't like the cylinder deactivation stuff in a car of this type. One more thing to cause issues. A sportscar is a complete package and its success is based on how well the package does as a unit and all the Caymans are amazing drives. Where I live in SoCal, the only deserted twisty roads we have are primarily in the mountains heading up into elevation and the turbo motors do well at elevation compared to NA motors that lose a little at elevation and finally weight. With every car getting heavier, there is something special about a lighter car that I enjoy. There are many powerful cars that go fast and even faster than lighter cars but there is a sensation that lighter cars give in the way they turn in, the way initial brake bite feels compared to a heavier car even with larger binders so my point is you can't go wrong with both, it's a calculus of many things, cost, weight, packaging, how and where you drive. If you are one of these guys that think that Porsches are the most glorious sounding motors ever, then absolutely get the GTS. If you are like me and are not a Porsche sound evangelist and lightweight, amazing handling, drive at elevations and want to help your kids make it through college debt free, then the turbo motor is an amazing package as well.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The main problem that I have with the 4.0 is that I don’t have one. I always want the next best thing. Considering therapy but then started down this path: instead of bi-weekly therapy I could use that money for a payment on an upgrade to a 4.0, practice in front of the mirror, have debate points for SWMBO…
Hang in [email protected]'s couch will be open for business when he returns from The Big Trip to All Parts North.

• Haha
Reactions: JFAtlanta

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since Im thinking of ordering a 4.0 gts in the near future and own a cayman T presently I’d appreciate the thoughts of those that have experienced both engines as to the differences pros cons and has anyone regretted moving to the gts 4.0 and leaving the turbo.
🙏🏼🙏🏼
You really need to just spend an afternoon test driving both. Everyone has a slightly different perception based on their own expectations and tastes.

I have a 718S, 718GTS/4.0 and a 992.
  • Sound. Each of them sounds amazing in their own way. And honestly, one of my favorites is the 4cyl 718. Because it just growls and displays character throughout the RPMs. But on the track, the GTS is just heaven - you feel like you're in a race car (because you basically are).
  • Performance. These cars are so powerful these days that you cannot compare them by their top end specs, because few of us are driving them over 6/10s. On the track I've over taken an older GT3 in my 992, and on a different day had a 718T overtake me and I was maxing my skills to keep up (despite the difference in specs). All three cars have their strengths on the track and in all honestly you will probably become a better driver tracking a base 718 vs the GTS or 992 ... or the GT3 for the matter (which any owner who tracks will admit - the GT3 makes fast lap times easy).
So, go test drive them. Pick the one the suits you. Anyone claiming one of them is a better choice over the other, should be ignored.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You really need to just spend an afternoon test driving both. Everyone has a slightly different perception based on their own expectations and tastes.

I have a 718S, 718GTS/4.0 and a 992.
  • Sound. Each of them sounds amazing in their own way. And honestly, one of my favorites is the 4cyl 718. Because it just growls and displays character throughout the RPMs. But on the track, the GTS is just heaven - you feel like you're in a race car (because you basically are).
  • Performance. These cars are so powerful these days that you cannot compare them by their top end specs, because few of us are driving them over 6/10s. On the track I've over taken an older GT3 in my 992, and on a different day had a 718T overtake me and I was maxing my skills to keep up (despite the difference in specs). All three cars have their strengths on the track and in all honestly you will probably become a better driver tracking a base 718 vs the GTS or 992 ... or the GT3 for the matter (which any owner who tracks will admit - the GT3 makes fast lap times easy).
So, go test drive them. Pick the one the suits you. Anyone claiming one of them is a better choice over the other, should be ignored.
Lucky man owning those 3 fine cars.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts