Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems like the only negative reviewers are Jay Emm and Janko, tho they are both a bit wishy washy on it as Janko loves the 25th anniversary, and Jay just seems stuck on it rides too rough for his tastes and i can't feel da steering.

don't hear much in the way of regret. think i've seen a wish i hadn't got this option thread, but on amazon i always read the 5 star and the 1 star reviews....

So i know you are out there (probably tuned off the forum tho). tell me why you wish you hadn't bought a 4.0 L BGTS or CGTS..... don't tell me why you are so happy you did buy it. there are plenty of threads for that...

and don't chime in with a reply and make them wrong for their answers either :)

btw - i don't have mine yet!!! And yes I secretly hope for zero replies.....

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
Jay Emm also said the Spyder is well judged and not too firm. He and other reviewers have admitted that their judgements are always somewhat affected by what other cars they’ve driven recently.

IMO the Spyder absolutely lacks steering feel. I’d be surprised if the BGTS was any better in that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jay Emm also said the Spyder is well judged and not too firm. He and other reviewers have admitted that their judgements are always somewhat affected by what other cars they’ve driven recently.

IMO the Spyder absolutely lacks steering feel. I’d be surprised if the BGTS was any better in that.
Also expectation. Drive the Spyder, think it's a race car on the street. Drive the GTS, think it's a road car and as we all know, Jay prefers the softest suspension setting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
J
Also expectation. Drive the Spyder, think it's a race car on the street. Drive the GTS, think it's a road car and as we all know, Jay prefers the softest suspension setting.
[/QUOTE
Jay Emm is a giant blow hole who would do well to put down his burger and chips and work hard enough to lose 100lbs. If he don't like it, it probably means that I will
I unsubbed his channel some time ago after his terrible mispronounciation of Porsche fake German accent episode where he xenophobicaly went an entire video in a cod germanic accent..... My life is too short to waste my time listening to this self opinionated tub of lard. Thomas at Autogefuel is the real deal, listen to what he has to say in correct English and real German accent

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'll chime in but sort of repeating myself from other posts.

While note a GTS but a Spyder, it is a 4.0. I don't regret getting the Spyder as the looks alone sealed it for me and the drive from a chassis perspective is fantastic. I don't understand why some feel it's too stiff when I find it very compliant and not jarring at all. Dare I say it's almost a bit too soft!

But the regret is the engine. I'm sorry but unless you are driving it on the track, any 4.0, or living in the high RPMs, I find it dull. Or perhaps dull is harsh and underwhelming is more fitting. Everyone banged on about how horrid the 2.5 was/is but for what I perceive as normal day to day and light spirited driving, it shines compared to the current GTS.

So, in away, I wish I hadn't bought it because I find myself driving more aggressively than I normally do to get any sense of what I personally view as the whole package of a sports car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wish I hadnt bought it because... Hmmm... No, currently no reason.

I think a lot of people make a big deal of Porsche going back to 6 cylinders and were falling over themselves to praise it, so in a way I think a few prepared to go against the grain is a good thing, but I disagree with them.

Janko in his review makes a point about the engine being more suited to the GT chassis and I can understand the logic - I havent drive the Spyder or GT4 so I don't know how much 'better' they might be, but I very much doubt I will get (on the road) to the point where the chassis becomes a limiting factor in the GTS; it's still very capable. Jay Em complains about steering feel however he also savaged the 2.0T engine'd 718 for grunt and turbo response, and that was not my experience of them at all. Therefore regardless of how entertaining either of them are, I take their opinions as just that. If anything I have more respect for Janko who is a genuine Porsche enthusiast.

My own experience of the GTS was that with the right rubber, it gives excellent feedback to the driver when being pushed, and is a nice smooth engine to use when 'just driving'.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts

While note a GTS but a Spyder, it is a 4.0. I don't regret getting the Spyder as the looks alone sealed it for me and the drive from a chassis perspective is fantastic. I don't understand why some feel it's too stiff when I find it very compliant and not jarring at all. Dare I say it's almost a bit too soft!

But the regret is the engine. I'm sorry but unless you are driving it on the track, any 4.0, or living in the high RPMs, I find it dull. Or perhaps dull is harsh and underwhelming is more fitting. Everyone banged on about how horrid the 2.5 was/is but for what I perceive as normal day to day and light spirited driving, it shines compared to the current GTS.

So, in away, I wish I hadn't bought it because I find myself driving more aggressively than I normally do to get any sense of what I personally view as the whole package of a sports car.
Have you considered trading for an S and adding a set of ohlins? That might be just the right mix for you?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wish I hadn't bought it because now I don't enjoy driving other cars nearly as much!

The '16 BMW M235 isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be.

Almost all of my driving up until 10 years ago was in vehicles with naturally aspirated V8's and then I started driving turbo charged 6 and 8 cylinder cars and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Getting the naturally aspirated flat 6 with a manual transmission last year returned the joy of non forced induction engines and manual shifting. It is a more "classic" feel in the throttle response, sound and overall experience. As I age I find myself returning to many of the classic designed products such as mechanical analog watches, 1911 design pistols, revolvers, lever action rifles, etc. For the most part more "modern" designs don't give me the same pleasure as classic designs that are well executed.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
555 Posts

This is why I got the T. When I drove the 4.0 at PEC I certainly didn't find it dull but it does become much more lively above 4k RPM, whereas the 2.0T that I drove felt lively across the RPM range. If I were going for a track car it would be the 4.0 and would probably hold out for GT4. But for a car that is primarily street I think the turbo engines are great value and perhaps less frustrating than the 4.0 if you are trying to keep it in the legal range. It's unfortunate that the gearing on the 4.0 couldn't have been adjusted because that may have really made it more easy to access the fun on the street.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

I don't have the 4.0, only the 2.5 GTS. This is what I have been saying all along though, that the 2.5 (or the 2.0 for that matter) is the engine to have for around town. A beast at low revs and perfect for the speeds that most of us will see in our day-to-day driving. If you're on the track, the 4.0 is the one they have. Would I like to have the 4.0? Certainly. It would only be an addition to my 2.5 though, not a replacement.
MOO & FWIW

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I don't have the 4.0, only the 2.5 GTS. This is what I have been saying all along though, that the 2.5 (or the 2.0 for that matter) is the engine to have for around town. A beast at low revs and perfect for the speeds that most of us will see in our day-to-day driving. If you're on the track, the 4.0 is the one they have. Would I like to have the 4.0? Certainly. It would only be an addition to my 2.5 though, not a replacement.
MOO & FWIW
I think it depends on where you live and drive also. Between “in town” and track are a lot of open, fun country or mountain or canyon roads, depending on where you live. I find the 4.0L really enjoyable the moment I get away from traffic and the straight and level roads.

OTOH, when driving around town, I actually don’t really want a sports car at all. For in town I prefer something more comfortable and practical.

But yes, it all comes down to what we’re doing with the cars. For people like me, this engine really fits nicely. For others, a turbo is a better match.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
555 Posts
J

Jay Emm is a giant blow hole who would do well to put down his burger and chips and work hard enough to lose 100lbs. If he don't like it, it probably means that I will
I unsubbed his channel some time ago after his terrible mispronounciation of Porsche fake German accent episode where he xenophobicaly went an entire video in a cod germanic accent..... My life is too short to waste my time listening to this self opinionated tub of lard. Thomas at Autogefuel is the real deal, listen to what he has to say in correct English and real German accent
I watched maybe two or so videos from Jay Emm and then pretty much decided he wasn't worth watching.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
555 Posts
I like his reviews of older cars. I think he's pretty insightful with those. I don't agree with everything he says, of course. But I've enjoyed some of his insights, mostly on older cars.
I dont disagree with everything he says but he has very flippantly made extremely derogatory reviews about cars that, to me, seemed seriously unwarranted. For example, he really derided the 718 2.0T. I had driven it so I knew better. But if someone watched that review and simply used that data point they might not have even given it a chance. After watching another poor review on another car I had just had enough.
It does seem that he really likes at least some of the older Porsches. I believe he stated that some older model was the only one he would buy.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
I dont disagree with everything he says but he has very flippantly made extremely derogatory reviews about cars that, to me, seemed seriously unwarranted. For example, he really derided the 718 2.0T. I had driven it so I knew better. But if someone watched that review and simply used that data point they might not have even given it a chance. After watching another poor review on another car I had just had enough.
It does seem that he really likes at least some of the older Porsches. I believe he stated that some older model was the only one he would buy.
yep, he had that 951 for a little while. And I know he loves the 993. So do I.

He does have a penchant for exaggeration. I finally did get to drive a 2.0L and it’s not for me. So I think in general the reviews pointed out some important issues. It is a different car for a different purpose than the 981 and so I can see both sides of that. I know people do love it. And I know people even prefer it to the 4.0.

but coming out of a 981, I can see how it was very different for those early reviewers. If I’d been in the market at that time, I would have found a 981 instead. So I understand the criticism from that point of view.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
555 Posts
yep, he had that 951 for a little while. And I know he loves the 993. So do I.

He does have a penchant for exaggeration. I finally did get to drive a 2.0L and it’s not for me. So I think in general the reviews pointed out some important issues. It is a different car for a different purpose than the 981 and so I can see both sides of that. I know people do love it. And I know people even prefer it to the 4.0.

but coming out of a 981, I can see how it was very different for those early reviewers. If I’d been in the market at that time, I would have found a 981 instead. So I understand the criticism from that point of view.
What is interesting is that he didn't bash on the 2.0T for the sound which is the go to gripe. He instead bashed on it for the lack of acceleration and what he called a serious lag in acceleration. If I remember correctly he was doing something goofy which was partly causing the problem and a number of the comments called him out for it. But this is all from long ago memory.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts