Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What is interesting is that he didn't bash on the 2.0T for the sound which is the go to gripe. He instead bashed on it for the lack of acceleration and what he called a serious lag in acceleration. If I remember correctly he was doing something goofy which was partly causing the problem and a number of the comments called him out for it. But this is all from long ago memory.
I drove the 2 L for a week on pch trip. I felt it was very slow because of the SO button. Every time I raised the revs or used sport mode or put it in paddle mode, the SO kept beeping.

I don't fault the car for that however....

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
What is interesting is that he didn't bash on the 2.0T for the sound which is the go to gripe. He instead bashed on it for the lack of acceleration and what he called a serious lag in acceleration. If I remember correctly he was doing something goofy which was partly causing the problem and a number of the comments called him out for it. But this is all from long ago memory.
like I said, he definitely exaggerates! But sound is not the only difference in these motors. There is definitely a latency difference (up and down). It’s there. I don’t remember what he did either, but I know other reviewers pointed that out also. It probably would be more apparent if you had driven a 981 and then gone to this. Similarly after I had 400 miles in a 4.0 and then tried the 2.0.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
We went for ice creams last night and my son got a lemon sorbet and I got an vanilla with cherry and chocolate bits. Very different tastes or very different moods.

So I get where so many different reviewers were coming from. For a couple of decades Porsche was selling mid end fruit sorbets. Then they suddenly switched flavors all together (for good reasons) and people said they didn’t like that. Understandable.

Then new people came on board who do like that turbo feel. And then Porsche made a couple of models for people like me who don’t. And now everyone gets their flavor. All good.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
556 Posts
like I said, he definitely exaggerates! But sound is not the only difference in these motors. There is definitely a latency difference (up and down). It’s there. I don’t remember what he did either, but I know other reviewers pointed that out also. It probably would be more apparent if you had driven a 981 and then gone to this. Similarly after I had 400 miles in a 4.0 and then tried the 2.0.
Honestly I still don't understand the latency/hesitancy thing. I come from NA Miatas and BRZs (which is one of the reasons why the 2.0T is plenty of power for me) and I never felt this hesitancy in either of these turbo motors. I drove a PDK S at the dealership and I drove a manual 2.0 at the dealership and a PDK 2.0 at PEC. I have never felt this hesitancy but there may be a reason for that. At PEC I was in sport+ the whole time and, while the 2.0 I drove at the dealership didn't have Sport chrono, it was a manual. Based on my reading the manual doesn't seem to exhibit the hesitancy? Certainly if you get caught below 2000 rpm then you will feel sluggish but that is true even in NA cars. Certainly was true in my BRZ and Miatas.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Honestly I still don't understand the latency/hesitancy thing. I come from NA Miatas and BRZs (which is one of the reasons why the 2.0T is plenty of power for me) and I never felt this hesitancy in either of these turbo motors. I drove a PDK S at the dealership and I drove a manual 2.0 at the dealership and a PDK 2.0 at PEC. I have never felt this hesitancy but there may be a reason for that. At PEC I was in sport+ the whole time and, while the 2.0 I drove at the dealership didn't have Sport chrono, it was a manual. Based on my reading the manual doesn't seem to exhibit the hesitancy? Certainly if you get caught below 2000 rpm then you will feel sluggish but that is true even in NA cars. Certainly was true in my BRZ and Miatas.
That's just it. Non sport mode pdk it shifts at 2k. Mpg not acceleration. That was it for me. Car transformed above 2k of course but I had to put it in sport or paddle shift to get there. Have never driven a manual 2L or 2.5L myself other than short test drive at a dealer. It's how ya drive it.

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,855 Posts
yeah, I don't know how you could possible miss it. It's evident when your foot goes down and then again as your foot comes up. I'm driving an ND2 today (great weather day here in DC) and I like the ND2 motor more than the 2.0 Porsche motor for the same reason. This Mazda engine is immediate and revvy and i think it’s fun even though it’s not powerful. As my wife puts it, it feels like a car that took its antihistamines like a good boy/girl.

Do you play an instrument? Imagine if there was a delay between your pick hitting the string and the string actually starting. Or your hammer hitting the string. Or imagine if you let the pedal go and the strings sustained a tick longer. It's that effect that doesn't work for me in a sports car. Fortunately this effect is not there in EV motors. And it's not there in really revvy free-breathing NA motors that I like.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
556 Posts
yeah, I don't know how you could possible miss it. It's evident when your foot goes down and then again as your foot comes up. I'm driving an ND2 today (great weather day here in DC) and I like the ND2 motor more than the 2.0 Porsche motor for the same reason. This Mazda engine is immediate and revvy. As my wife puts it, it feels like a car that took its antihistamines like a good boy/girl.

Do you play an instrument? Imagine if there was a delay between your pick hitting the string and the string actually starting. Or your hammer hitting the string. Or imagine if you let the pedal go and the strings sustained a tick longer. It's that effect that doesn't work for me in a sports car. Fortunately this effect is not there in EV motors. And it's not there in really revvy free-breathing NA motors that I like.
I've owned every version of Miata except for the ND2. I loved the ND Miata and agree its awesome to drive and almost like a go cart, but so far I do think the Cayman even with the base engine is a better car.
I don't play instruments but I have done online gaming where any latency is a killer. I've felt it and I've upgraded my network to eradicate it. So I certainly know what you are talking about. And I know others have brought it up too. But I honesty haven't felt it on the Cayman 2.0T or the 2.5T for that matter.
My car is almost here so will be interesting to see how I feel in 6 months as I will have it in all sorts of situations.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
556 Posts
That's just it. Non sport mode pdk it shifts at 2k. Mpg not acceleration. That was it for me. Car transformed above 2k of course but I had to put it in sport or paddle shift to get there. Have never driven a manual 2L or 2.5L myself other than short test drive at a dealer. It's how ya drive it.
The torque curves for the turbo motors are almost vertical in slope as they rise approaching 2000 rpm. Once above there they are both at max torque until around 4500 rpm where they then start to fall off although not too bad. Staying between about 2500 and 5500 rpm I suspect maximizes the performance and enjoyment!

·
Registered
2022 AGM Cayman 2.0 6M
983 Posts
I don’t feel lag either in my 2.0 MT… I know lag, coming from the Lexus IS 200t, that had scary lag even after a tune.

Maybe the MT compensates for the “lag”/delay some owners and journalists have described, but I for one do not feel it… and I’ve darn well tried too. Haha.

I’ll add something new… I’m not sure I’m impressed with the engine > 4k RPMs, granted haven’t spent a ton of time there yet, and I certainly enjoyed the CS when at Atlanta PEC, so maybe I’m realizing the limits of the 2.0, but thankfully I spend most of my time between 1800-4/5k RPMs where I find it very fun/responsive.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
556 Posts
I don’t feel lag either in my 2.0 MT… I know lag, coming from the Lexus IS 200t, that had scary lag even after a tune.

Maybe the MT compensates for the “lag”/delay some owners and journalists have described, but I for one do not feel it… and I’ve darn well tried too. Haha.

I’ll add something new… I’m not sure I’m impressed with the engine > 4k RPMs, granted haven’t spent a ton of time there yet, and I certainly enjoyed the CS when at Atlanta PEC, so maybe I’m realizing the limits of the 2.0, but thankfully I spend most of my time between 1800-4/5k RPMs where I find it very fun/responsive.
That certainly makes sense as the torque does start to decline after that. I believe the PDK I drove at PEC wasn't spending much if any time above 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Because I still feel guilty spending $100K on a car? Because having the car meant I had to purchase a 4-pack of track days this season? (normally I just do 2-3 DE days per year) Because I worried a lot less about the car when I parked my Miata at Home Depot for a quick errand? Because I caught myself hitting 130mph on an empty farm-country straightaway...in a 45 zone? Because the car makes me want to retire early just so I can go on long rides without the guilt of being away from the office? Because I occasionally miss the flexibility of having 2 tiny back seats like I did in my 997.2 C2S for the now-grown kids? Because now when I'm on track in the CGTS, the expectations on me as a driver are a lot higher than when I was the guy in the lowest-HP car on the track?

I could go on and on, but I'm doing a rain-dance right now hoping that the remaining salt will get washed off the road today, so that I can take the car out of the garage again tomorrow. (I'm in eastern PA.) I had the car out 2 weekends ago for the first time this season (it was glorious), and then we had snow and ice last weekend so the township re-coated all the roads with a sh*t-ton of salt.

In all seriousness, there's been nothing disappointing about the car or the engine (my first PDK too)! My complaints are niggling ones: I wish the side mirrors were bigger, I wish the car had a spare tire from the factory, I wish the tachometer was easier to see on cloudy days without the lights on, I wish the sports-chono clock didn't reflect on the windshield, and I wish it had wireless Carplay from the factory. My biggest complaint right now is with the exhaust: I hate the stock programming and how it opens and closes the exhaust valves between 1500-3500rpms. I've got my exhaust valves wired open at the moment, trying to decide if that will do or if I need to get a CarGraphic Valve Controller. There definitely is a LOT more sound with the exhaust open at all RPMs, but I haven't driven it enough like this to decide if it's a deal-breaker (my wife hasn't driven with me yet, so it's hard to judge cabin volume without trying to have a conversation with someone).

·
Registered
449 Posts
J

Jay Emm is a giant blow hole who would do well to put down his burger and chips and work hard enough to lose 100lbs. If he don't like it, it probably means that I will
I unsubbed his channel some time ago after his terrible mispronounciation of Porsche fake German accent episode where he xenophobicaly went an entire video in a cod germanic accent..... My life is too short to waste my time listening to this self opinionated tub of lard. Thomas at Autogefuel is the real deal, listen to what he has to say in correct English and real German accent
My fav:
full screen
full HD
full length
with Thomas, dude cracks me up

21 - 40 of 61 Posts