Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
J

Jay Emm is a giant blow hole who would do well to put down his burger and chips and work hard enough to lose 100lbs. If he don't like it, it probably means that I will
I unsubbed his channel some time ago after his terrible mispronounciation of Porsche fake German accent episode where he xenophobicaly went an entire video in a cod germanic accent..... My life is too short to waste my time listening to this self opinionated tub of lard. Thomas at Autogefuel is the real deal, listen to what he has to say in correct English and real German accent

Goblin 59 for the WIN! - Jay "Immense" is a pouty and obnoxious slob. Janko gives me the creeps; I won't watch them anymore.. I think Thomas at Autogefuel is super, as well as Sofyan Bey at Redline, and Nick Murray.

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
610 Posts
I think it depends on where you live and drive also. Between “in town” and track are a lot of open, fun country or mountain or canyon roads, depending on where you live. I find the 4.0L really enjoyable the moment I get away from traffic and the straight and level roads.

OTOH, when driving around town, I actually don’t really want a sports car at all. For in town I prefer something more comfortable and practical.

But yes, it all comes down to what we’re doing with the cars. For people like me, this engine really fits nicely. For others, a turbo is a better match.
I thought I’d be fine with the CS as a daily driver for a little while. That notion lasted all of three weeks until the first time I had an odd-size package I had to pick up from the post office and realized it wouldn’t fit in the 718. Bought an R55 MINI Cooper Clubman last week for puttering around town in and have no regrets.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
626 Posts
Because I still feel guilty spending $100K on a car? Because having the car meant I had to purchase a 4-pack of track days this season? (normally I just do 2-3 DE days per year) Because I worried a lot less about the car when I parked my Miata at Home Depot for a quick errand? Because I caught myself hitting 130mph on an empty farm-country straightaway...in a 45 zone? Because the car makes me want to retire early just so I can go on long rides without the guilt of being away from the office?
Couldn't have said it better:)

I thought I’d be fine with the CS as a daily driver for a little while. That notion lasted all of three weeks until the first time I had an odd-size package I had to pick up from the post office and realized it wouldn’t fit in the 718. Bought an R55 MINI Cooper Clubman last week for puttering around town in and have no regrets.
I def never bought mine for a daily. I have an i3 for that!

·
Registered
2017 718 Cayman S
610 Posts
It's definitely come in handy having a daily driver as my 718 CS sits at the Porsche dealership for a week just to have the passenger window adjusted and Power Steering Plus enabled. They gave me a loaner Cayenne but I hate driving it as it just reminds me what I'm missing by not having my 718 :cautious:

·
Registered
28 Posts
JayEmm is just a guy with his own specific taste - which in itself is fine. but he's definitely not a journalist as he just can't put his own personal taste aside to review cars objectively. That's how I felt watching his videos not just about the GTS 4.0 but most his videos in general.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it seems like the only negative reviewers are Jay Emm and Janko, tho they are both a bit wishy washy on it as Janko loves the 25th anniversary, and Jay just seems stuck on it rides too rough for his tastes and i can't feel da steering.

don't hear much in the way of regret. think i've seen a wish i hadn't got this option thread, but on amazon i always read the 5 star and the 1 star reviews....

So i know you are out there (probably tuned off the forum tho). tell me why you wish you hadn't bought a 4.0 L BGTS or CGTS..... don't tell me why you are so happy you did buy it. there are plenty of threads for that...

and don't chime in with a reply and make them wrong for their answers either :)

btw - i don't have mine yet!!! And yes I secretly hope for zero replies.....
I had a Cayman GTS 4.0 manual and loved it but even on the road I felt it was too soft and lacked precision on turn in. I love the way the 4 cylinder cars drive and perform but am underwhelmed by the noise so love the induction noise from that flat 6. I also thought the gear lever was too long! Anyway, I was offered a GT4 slot by my OPC so grabbed it and collect next month. I will be using the GT4 on the road, not for track days. In my opinion the GT4 is a perfectly acceptable road car, not too stiff or noisy however I’m also a biker so my expectations on comfort are perhaps a little lower than some other owners!

·
Registered
BGTS40
604 Posts
I had a Cayman GTS 4.0 manual and loved it but even on the road I felt it was too soft and lacked precision on turn in. I love the way the 4 cylinder cars drive and perform but am underwhelmed by the noise so love the induction noise from that flat 6. I also thought the gear lever was too long! Anyway, I was offered a GT4 slot by my OPC so grabbed it and collect next month. I will be using the GT4 on the road, not for track days. In my opinion the GT4 is a perfectly acceptable road car, not too stiff or noisy however I’m also a biker so my expectations on comfort are perhaps a little lower than some other owners!
PASM or SPASM?

For me even with the -20mm Spasm suspension I also feel it a bit soft, regardless of sport or normal setting. Behaves very good but would be happier to have just a bit more sporty feeling. The comfort is exceptional and I would sacrifice it a bit easily .

·
Registered
18 Posts
PASM or SPASM?

For me even with the -20mm Spasm suspension I also feel it a bit soft, regardless of sport or normal setting. Behaves very good but would be happier to have just a bit more story feeling. The comfort is exceptional and I would sacrifice it a bit easily .
It had the standard -20mm. You’re right comfy car, great all rounder. My last Porsche was a 997.1 C2S with sports chassis, the handling set the bar pretty high.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll chime in but sort of repeating myself from other posts.

While note a GTS but a Spyder, it is a 4.0. I don't regret getting the Spyder as the looks alone sealed it for me and the drive from a chassis perspective is fantastic. I don't understand why some feel it's too stiff when I find it very compliant and not jarring at all. Dare I say it's almost a bit too soft!

But the regret is the engine. I'm sorry but unless you are driving it on the track, any 4.0, or living in the high RPMs, I find it dull. Or perhaps dull is harsh and underwhelming is more fitting. Everyone banged on about how horrid the 2.5 was/is but for what I perceive as normal day to day and light spirited driving, it shines compared to the current GTS.

So, in away, I wish I hadn't bought it because I find myself driving more aggressively than I normally do to get any sense of what I personally view as the whole package of a sports car.
This is it right here. This is me to a T
I’m coming from a turbo 6cyl b58 and I vastly prefer the t4. It is so much more engaging and fun because I can actually wind it out through 3rd/4th without going 120mph.

the sound could be better, yes.
But the power is almost perfect to me at 300hp for road driving, maybe a tiny bump like 20hp… but not much more or you just can’t enjoy it on roads. The 4t is very well tuned for road enjoyment. It’s just fun.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts