Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to change the oil on my 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 well before the free one-year service, but had trouble locating information about needed supplies and tools. The usual sites don’t have information about cars this new. I did get enough information from the Obsessed Garage YouTube channel to get started. I ordered the needed items from FCP Euro at very reasonable prices.

Supplies
  • 8 liters oil, 5w40, Porsche C40 certified (e.g., Liqui Moly Top Tec 4110)
  • Mahle OX 366 D oil filter, includes O-ring for canister (Porsche 0PB.115.466.A)
  • Plastic drain plug with O-ring, standard VW/Audi/Porsche item (Porsche 958.103.801.00)

Tools
  • 10mm socket
  • T25 Torx wrench or socket
  • Drain plug wrench (a screwdriver will work, but buy the T-handle wrench made for this purpose)
  • Oil filter wrench, 14 flute, 74mm (previously used on my 987)
  • 3/8” ratchet with long extension and swivel
  • Form-a-funnel or piece of cardboard

Raise rear wheels on ramps. I tried using my Safe Jack RennStands but the crossbrace interferes with panel removal.

Remove rear underside panel.
  • 4 plastic nuts
  • 6 Torx screws
  • 4 bolts: 2 in front in double holes (OO), 2 in back
  • Also remove 2 Torx screws from back end of the mid panel to ease removal and installation

Remove drain plug. Be prepared, oil will splash rearward. Wait for oil to fully drain and install new drain plug. It is difficult to access filter canister while oil is draining from pan.

Loosen oil filter canister with wrench. Use form-a-funnel or piece of cardboard to prevent oil from dripping onto frame rail. Remove wrench from canister before it is fully unscrewed to ease removal (limited clearance around frame rail).

Insert new oil filter into canister along with new O-ring. Lube O-ring. Fill canister 2/3 full of oil. Reinstall. Torque to 25 Nm, 19 ft lbs.

Reinstall underside panel by inserting rear end first, middle tabs over top of frame rail. Then insert front tab into mid panel by bending it downward. Install all fasteners.

Add 7.25 liters oil. Drive, check oil level, and top off if necessary. For me, no additional oil was needed, meaning all did not drain out, or the full 8 liters is not required.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,105 Posts
Loosen oil filter canister with wrench. Use form-a-funnel or piece of cardboard to prevent oil from dripping onto frame rail. Remove wrench from canister before it is fully unscrewed to ease removal (limited clearance around frame rail).
Doesn't it have a drip funnel built in and you just connect a piece of hose to it?

·
Registered
2021 Boxster GTS 4.0
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't it have a drip funnel built in and you just connect a piece of hose to it?
That photo appears to show the oil filter emerging horizontally from the motor, whereas on the 4 liter motor the cannister is vertical. I'm curious where you got that photo.

The oil filter cannister is partially above a frame rail, necessitating a swivel on my socket wrench extension to turn it. Hence I suggest a form-a-funnel (or similar) to minimize the mess.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That photo appears to show the oil filter emerging horizontally from the motor, whereas on the 4 liter motor the cannister is vertical. I'm curious where you got that photo.

The oil filter cannister is partially above a frame rail, necessitating a swivel on my socket wrench extension to turn it. Hence I suggest a form-a-funnel (or similar) to minimize the mess.
That photo is from the tech introduction of 718.
So in a way it is only valid for the first years, changes could have been made.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,105 Posts

Yep, just saw a video on a GT4 oil change and definitely a totally different universe. But, even in the video, it was hard to see the oil filter and its base, much less if it had the drip filter. I have to think that it doesn't, and maybe that's because it come straight down? The guy doing the change didn't seem to have too much drip on the beam, so maybe not worth having.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts