Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2018 Cayman S with the 20 inch Carrera sport wheels and want to add the factory 5mm spacers. They aren't specifically listed on Porsche's website in the Tequipment section for this car. Has anyone installed these with these particular wheels? I would think it would be fine, but I don't want to order them and there is an issue. Eventually I want to add the X73 suspension, so that is also an area of concern. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a buddy running 15mm spacers in the rear and 7mm spacers in the front, on Carrera S Wheels. I will also add he's running H&R lowering springs that drop the car quite a bit. This is on a 718 Cayman without PASM. I've driven his car- no rubbing over bumps whatsoever. 5mm is nothing to worry about in my opinion. I plan on running much more aggressive spacers on my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does X73 suspension for 718 even exist?
I was under the impression that Porsche went with S-pasm instead.
My parts guy came across a part number in PET for it.

Reactions: johan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a buddy running 15mm spacers in the rear and 7mm spacers in the front, on Carrera S Wheels. I will also add he's running H&R lowering springs that drop the car quite a bit. This is on a 718 Cayman without PASM. I've driven his car- no rubbing over bumps whatsoever. 5mm is nothing to worry about in my opinion. I plan on running much more aggressive spacers on my car.
Are the offsets the same for a Carrera s verses carrera sport wheel? I’d imagine it would be, but I can’t understand why Porsche doesn’t list this as a working thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Porsche does list the details in their configurator. The wheels are different widths and the rear offset is different.

"Carrera S IV" alloy wheels with open five-spoke design
8 x 20 ET 57 with 235/35 ZR 20 tires (front)
10 x 20 ET 45 with 265/35 ZR 20 tires (rear)

"Carrera Sport" alloy wheels with imposing five-spoke design
Platinum Silver paint finish with machined and polished spoke edges and outer rim
8.5 x 20 ET 57 with 235/35 ZR 20 tires (front)
10.5 x 20 ET 47 with 265/35 ZR 20 tires (rear)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Porsche does list the details in their configurator. The wheels are different widths and the rear offset is different.

"Carrera S IV" alloy wheels with open five-spoke design
8 x 20 ET 57 with 235/35 ZR 20 tires (front)
10 x 20 ET 45 with 265/35 ZR 20 tires (rear)

"Carrera Sport" alloy wheels with imposing five-spoke design
Platinum Silver paint finish with machined and polished spoke edges and outer rim
8.5 x 20 ET 57 with 235/35 ZR 20 tires (front)
10.5 x 20 ET 47 with 265/35 ZR 20 tires (rear)
Thanks! Given the half inch difference of the rear, maybe that is why they don't call for it? Still, you'd think 5 mm wouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Thanks! Given the half inch difference of the rear, maybe that is why they don't call for it? Still, you'd think 5 mm wouldn't be an issue.
It could be if you think about it:

A half inch = 12.5mm. The half-inch difference should be halved on each side of the wheel, so that the wheel is 6.2mm wider in both directions.

In the rear, take the difference in offset between the Carrera S (45) and Carrera Sport (47) -- 2mm -- and apply it to the appropriate lip. In this case, the Carrera Sport's inner lip will be 8.2mm closer to the suspension, and the outer lip will be 4.2mm closer to the fender. Add another 5mm to that with a spacer to "even things out," and you're talking about pushing the rears -- on the widest rim available as OEM -- outward nearly 10mm. That's highly dubious.

Also, consider that the tire size is the same. The Carrera Sport's rear tire will be slightly more "stretched" than on the Carrera S wheel because of the extra width. If you decide to put a wider tire on that rim, you could run into big issues.

In the front, where offsets are the same on both wheels, the concerns aren't necessarily related to rubbing on the fender; it's rubbing on the suspension. Remember that a hub increases its toe-in when turned sharply in either direction. 6.2mm can make a wheel rub badly at anything close to full lock. You can probably use 5mm spacers up there fine. It's the rears I'd be worried about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.